Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,449,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I can't imagine anything worse than going to jail.
Really? i could think of many things that are worse than going to jail, they usually consist of painful physical and mental conditions,deaths of loved ones,Obviously no one wants to go to jail but there are life situations where jail would be a preferrable option..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,143,361 times
surely no job is worse than being locked up 24 hours a day for years - Is how bad it is working in low paid jobs is these days?

But then again speaking to an ex-con - he told they could work in prison and earn money for treats like chocolate, cigarettes etc. - I imagine some of them are better off financially than someone earning a low wage with property prices etc.

They can get free education courses, access to a library, no racking up debt - All that isolation would great for studying. A cheap way to get your education, no 50K in debt and no job at the end

Free health care, access to gyms, no travel expenses, tvs etc. No worries about getting fired, or worries about all the typical nonsense in your average workplace.

Mind you no sex life - but then again many of us are in relationships like a prison sentence.

Ok seriously surely no job is as bad as prison - mind there have been employers that make you feel like a prisoner.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM

455 posts, read 634,190 times
Its tough when you are not working, or in my position can't work ! It saps your energy and

your drive, you become hopeless ! Even in prison they encourage people to get a job, if there

available, how ironic.In society, if you have a felony, no one will hire you.......its crazy.

I'm off topic again....sorry.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
surely no job is worse than being locked up 24 hours a day for years - Is how bad it is working in low paid jobs is these days?

But then again speaking to an ex-con - he told they could work in prison and earn money for treats like chocolate, cigarettes etc. - I imagine some of them are better off financially than someone earning a low wage with property prices etc.

They can get free education courses, access to a library, no racking up debt - All that isolation would great for studying. A cheap way to get your education, no 50K in debt and no job at the end

Free health care, access to gyms, no travel expenses, tvs etc. No worries about getting fired, or worries about all the typical nonsense in your average workplace.

Mind you no sex life - but then again many of us are in relationships like a prison sentence.

Ok seriously surely no job is as bad as prison - mind there have been employers that make you feel like a prisoner.
We arent talking about young and midlife people in this scenario the topic is meant to be addressing the plight of people who get to retirement age and for whatever reason have nothing and homelessness looks like their only option,at that point would going to jail be preferable to living the rest of your life on the streets..

Old 04-24-2012, 02:05 AM

5,234 posts, read 8,004,520 times
Freedom is a pretty precious thing to most people. Assume one has worked enough in their life to get social security, there are modest housing options, and cheaper places to live than the USA. If one has been in and out of prison for years, maybe they wouldn't care so much if their health was severely declining and they had no family. For the average person, its an irrational option.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,412,406 times
Screw that, although perhaps an alternative would be more hostels and shelters for down and out people?

In my case, I won't stick around if it came down to it. I'm not going to live to be a burden on anyone and this is too cruel and too unpalatable of a society for me to want to ride it out, should it get to the stage where I'm unemployed and facing homelessness.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,031,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wonder how many down and out adults who have basically nothing choose prison as a lifestyle, granted your freedoms are a bit limited but on the up side free room and board,free health-care,basically all your needs taken care of..And if there is a growing number of people pursuing this lifestyle what are the lesser crimes being committed to get you on this gravy train.
If i was single and in my senior years of life with no means of support i'd certainly entertain the thought of prison as a lifestyle alternative to being homeless and on the streets,,
If everyone went to prison we would all die. Human society wouldn't exist or be possible.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 PM

867 posts, read 2,982,770 times
If you do go the prison route please be advised that you're not going to be able to post on city-data while incarcerated and phone calls out to "the world" are super expensive. That's the biggest issue I would have with being an offender, a near total lack of telecommunications.

Saying this as someone who works a Texas CO.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
If everyone went to prison we would all die. Human society wouldn't exist or be possible.
Every one? like every one in the whole world? Thats not what the topic is advocating..

Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 918 times
I had a business where I'd employ kids with a checkered past and try and help them become responsible. It was a 5 gallon bottled water delivery route and I developed a bad back. I am a WASP and went to college. So I was thinking I knew about folks, but the kids gave me quite an education.

One guy who was born in Tijuana was not in the least afraid of getting arrested. He'd grown up in juveniile hall. For him, after he was 21, prison was a place to go for a rest. Oddly, he was super intelligent, and one of my best workers. Eventually I succeeded in getting him a high pay job as a bilingual operator for ATT. I was so proud. Later I found out he was back in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment