Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 03:18 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,749,718 times

Advertisements

My opinion here is not going to be popular at all ...

If you have no physical evidence he hits her, I would say mind your own business.

Accusing someone of domestic violence can easily get messy. You might end up triggering more damage to her than you think, especially if the husband is actually abusive and she refuses to leave him. The abuse might wind up getting worse for her. Be careful where you step in.

This is not your marriage nor is it your business to report it unless you've seen this individual hit her or if she confides in your.

I understand your concerns are coming from a genuine place, but this is definitely not your business. What happens in their marriage is their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 04:49 AM

23,180 posts, read 26,324,404 times
You can be concerned and talking to the counselor might give you some good advice but definitely, definitely, do not bring this up to the husband.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:34 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,945,835 times
While I understand you wanting to be a good person, you need to stay out of this. You have no direct proof of what goes on in their home, only guesses. No one likes an abuser or seeing a spouse hit, but there is a line here that you do not have the right or proof to cross.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:55 AM

923 posts, read 531,057 times
To answer some of the common questions:
No, I have NO PROOF.
First marriage, never said it was either of their second marriage.
She is not pregnant, to my knowledge.
I do know the family, mostly husband and kids. Wife is usually working or home cooking and cleaning.

About a year ago a woman said to keep an eye out for my employee and his wife and kids. She said she see's signs of physical abuse. She obviously couldn't confirm it, but wanted me to be aware.

This latest one came from two women, one had been in an abusive marriage and got out. She said she could tell. The other woman said she knew something was up as she was acting very odd and crying.

My employee's do come to me for advise, to borrow money, to talk about what is going on in their personal lives. I encourage it. I tell them I'm here as your boss first, and as a friend when needed. If I can help I will.

I'm not making ANY move until I see something or hear something(from the family).

LostinPhilly, 777, absolutely right.

Like I said before, I was looking for advise on how to handle such a situation.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:40 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,664,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
So you know this family? The education they have? Work they've done? Religion?

I also know a person that didn't help out and he beat his wife so bad she had a miscarriage. I've also heard of women beat to death. You want to talk BS "what if's" or solve a problem?

[snip].
I know that the best thing is to mind your own business. You can only lose. Let's say you will get him fired and the family will lose its main income. Who do you think she will hate? Who do you think may find herself with a dead cat or a burned house?
This not just serious. This is very very serious. Did you ask your family, your parents, your siblings, your kids if they are ok with entering into a severe conflict with violent people and their relatives and friends? Do you really think that your acts will have no consequences?
I really cannot understand this kind of people. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-23-2017 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: Rude; personal attack.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:58 AM

5,463 posts, read 3,090,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
My opinion here is not going to be popular at all ...

If you have no physical evidence he hits her, I would say mind your own business

This is not your marriage nor is it your business to report it unless you've seen this individual hit her or if she confides in your.

I understand your concerns are coming from a genuine place, but this is definitely not your business. What happens in their marriage is their business.
And if you have evidence ... mind your own business.
The tendency to play God is not reduced by praying.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:30 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,178,962 times
I was in an abusive marriage (28 years). I spent many years in denial, was finishing my education in..........psychology! with an emphasis on working with ........abused women and children. I was taking graduate courses, didn't see myself in anything until I was doing an internship at a shelter when my advisor there called me in to her office and said I was doing an excellent job but she had serious questions about my own need for counselling. I looked at her in disbelief and stated that I was not being abused. Denial. I was. Most of it was psychological abuse but there were instances of physical that I excused (yup, typical pattern). It was 3 years later that my marriage ended.

So, there's not much you can do. Except wait to speak with the counsellor and find out what resources are available to the wife of your employee and then give that information to the friends of the woman. The absolute worst course of action would be to bring up the topic with your employee - dangerous for the wife and for you as well. And thanks for being such a concerned boss.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:20 AM

15,654 posts, read 26,378,382 times
Quote:
They asked her if she needed support that they have a group and they are there to help her.

I simply asked what I can do.
I think the only thing you can do, with out endangering her, or clueing him in, which would endanger her is possibly hold a staff wide meeting about the various mental health help that is available today. Be very general, talk about depression and the opiate problem, and abuse. Include everything, and he won’t singled out. Provide a packet to take home with phone numbers.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:08 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,913,697 times
Does your company provide health insurance that covers mental health services?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:11 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,840,627 times
Quote:
If in wrong place, please move to correct place. Thank you!

It has come to my attention that an employee(male) has hit his wife and it has been noticed by others also. The people that can tell are women, some of them have been in the same situation. "We could tell", "I could tell it's been happening". Both of these have been told to me today.

They also told me not to say anything as it will make it worse for her.

How can I help? How do I approach him about this?
Not anything you can do. That you care is good, but sadly she's got to leave him. That's up to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment