Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:08 AM

268 posts, read 283,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Workplaces need to stop requiring a bachelors or masters degree for every damn thing.
So tired of seeing jobs that only require some previous customer service experience asking for a bachelor's degree and paying $12 hr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
It’s not always about a degree. Experience sometimes means more. I don’t have a Bachelors, just some college and I worked my way up from a teller to a Branch Manager of a large national bank. During that time I also received my insurance license and my series 6 & 63. Made well over 6 figures before I became a SAHM. My husband however is a Mechanical Engineer and you need to have a Bachlors degree for that and even a Masters typically!
Yes its not always about a degree, tell that to todays employer. The person you quoted isn't saying it's impossible to get somewhere without a degree, they are saying that today most jobs require a degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzy1228 View Post
I think glassdoor and indeed.com reviews have messed things up for some employers.
The reviews are opinions formed from working at that company, so no it is not the reviews messing it up for the company......its the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 10:35 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,789,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Friend of mine own a Gyros takeout place. Can never find workers & when she does it’s tupically high schoolers who call off and quit on a short notice. She can’t figure out why she can’t keep s staff. She pays minimum wage that’s why! Even to the cooks.
I posted before about my parents retired executive that moved from California to Florida to be closer to his wife's family... he was not doing well as the drinking started around noon each day in their community...

Kept noticing help wanted at the local market... so one day he asks the manager about it and learned he hires kids and as soon as they make enough for a car or to pay for something else they leave or just stop showing up...

Clyde said he would be interested... the manager thought it was a joke... Clyde said he was dead serious and offered a no strings week try out...

He reported to work and soon was the most popular employee... especially with the older patrons but also became a mentor to the kids... the manager thought he might be after that job but Clyde said no... been there, done that for a division with 400...

Clyde found a new purpose in life... was the best employee and got on so well, was best man at one of the kids weddings... told them things about working no one had... how showing up on time is 50% of being a good employee.

When Clyde died his funeral was overflowing... many spoke and all praise... his widow said it was like he was reborn... he loved those kids and the store.

My point is sometimes employers don't recognize talent and/or they don't put in the time to cultivate it...

Clyde didn't work for the money... he was set.... he worked because he needed a new purpose and the path he was on was a bad one... too much drinking which was very common with the retired in their circle.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:33 AM

1,166 posts, read 880,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Good, force these people to either pay a fair wage or go out of business! If raising wages doesn't attract more people, look at how you're treating your employees as well. Can't expect people to be hopping all over a job where you're forced to pick fruits and vegetables for 12+ hours a day, with no breaks, in 90+ degree weather, for bum pay. I like seeing them struggle now that their slave labor force is being deported!

Now that the cheap labor is gone, they'll actually be forced to pay the wages that the market dictates, as they were bypassing the legal market by hiring illegals that would work for less than minimum wage! Employers ARE NOT SPECIAL, and deserve to be held to the same laws and standards as everybody else, and not given a pass because they are "job creators"

Old 12-26-2017, 11:49 AM

21,031 posts, read 27,354,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
If you’re not getting enough people applying for the positions you offer, the solution is not to hire illegal workers under the table that’ll work for less than minimum wage. That makes you no different than someone who embezzles money, or evades taxes, you are a criminal, and deserve to be treated as such!

I think it really comes down to the attitude of “nobody owes you anything, you should take what they offer and be thankful you got that!” As long as whoever you’re working for is following the laws, I agree, (hiring legal employees at legal wages) and if they can’t get enough people to fill those positions, it’s time for YOU as a business to change to attract more prospective employees. Whether that be through higher wages, more benefits, etc, but NOT by hiring an illegal workforce or paying them under the table . I understand that companies are treated as if they are “above the law” and are not held to the same standards as normal people.

I don’t understand why people are so quick to blame the worker instead of the company. Company wants to pay you peanuts and work you to death, nobody's applying for the jobs we offer because the American people are too lazy!!!
Companies usually have evergreen job listings for positions no one wants. I will use an example.

A pharmacy technician applied for a Pharmacy Technician position at Walgreen's. He receives calls from store managers at varying Walgreen's stores to interview. Attending interviews at multiple stores, the pharmacy technician is informed by the store manager the store is seeking service clerks starting at $7.50 an hour regardless of experience, education, or position applied and interviewing for. The interviews decay to nonsense quickly to the point the pharmacy technician loses interest in Walgreen's. The pharmacy technician moves onto other pharmacies for work as a pharmacy technician.

If a company is not receiving enough applications for specific positions because of low pay and many responsibilities for tasks not getting done, they need to clean their mess quickly, or they need to remove evergreen job listings.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:02 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,352,864 times
This country seems to be going back to the Robber Baron type of business models as inflation, the cost of living, and the dollar becoming more worthless prevails.
And now the cryptocurrencies are wreaking havoc on the financial markets which should tell everyone how messed up our country is financially and economically.
I don't see a happy ending here.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:12 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,812,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post

The reviews are opinions formed from working at that company, so no it is not the reviews messing it up for the company......its the company.
I can attest to that. My last employer deserves all the dislike they have garned with their most recent actions. Just checked them out 2.8 which is probably a charity gift.

Oh and of course they respond to some reviews, with the same canned response which shows how little they actually care to read those reviews and try to change.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:34 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,923,495 times
Im waiting for this " Start your own business and wages" speech..

Like the moderator said, Some owners or companies doesn't see the potential that they have on the floor. They would rather spend more time via word of mouth from executives already in place, then look down on us losers. I have turn down plenty of jobs because of poor reviews and management slavery. Sorry, if Store A can pay me 15$ vs store B $12 doing the same work, i be stupid to go to store b. But the down side is, what your responsibilities going to be, work environment worth it? You can pay me $200 a hour and treat me like slave worker, i still tell u to eff off.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:30 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,343,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I can attest to that. My last employer deserves all the dislike they have garned with their most recent actions. Just checked them out 2.8 which is probably a charity gift.

Oh and of course they respond to some reviews, with the same canned response which shows how little they actually care to read those reviews and try to change.
And you know that their true rating was more like 1.6 before management forced employees to post fake reviews to pump the number up. If an employer has a bad rep online, they only have themselves to blame and they are missing out on the top tier talent which will not even begin the job search process with a "bad" employer.

In my business dealings, I will even check reviews from previous employees to get a sense of the companies ethics and integrity. You can tell a lot about a business by the way they treat the people that work there. If employees have nothing but bad things to say about the way they were treated, I want nothing to do with that company as a business partner or customer.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,547,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Im waiting for this " Start your own business and wages" speech..
Yeah, because it makes sense. Funny how people want to control the people who are taking all the risk.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:03 PM

1,166 posts, read 880,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yeah, because it makes sense. Funny how people want to control the people who are taking all the risk.

That's the whole point of this thread. Some of these "risk takers" run terrible companies and stand around scratching their heads wondering why turnover is high or why nobody wants to work for them. Either offer a job with adequate wages and benefits to draw and retain enough suitable employees or go out of business. These business owners are finally being made to follow the law and not hire illegal workers and pay them illegal wages, and we're supposed to feel sorry for them?

I have no problems with companies that hire legal American workers and offer them minimum wage for the job. If people refuse to work it, wages will have to go up. But employers can tap into this underground economy of illegal labor and undercut the market value of wages, and they deserve to be punished just like any other criminal, because that's what anybody who hires an illegal is, a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment