Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 01:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,372,370 times

Advertisements

OP, what part of the country are you in? I've got a thread going that I started probably a year ago on my job search. I work for the government and my last 3 jobs (including the one I have now) I was offered without an interview. I've been at this one for going on 3 years.
NOW??? Well, you could check out the thread. It's so different now. I have a fantastic resume and experience. I've had interviews galore and nothing. (I interview well.) Things have changed for sure.

HOWEVER, you should consider going after a gov't job, depending on what you need for a salary. Great benefits. Let me know if you want me to look around for you. It's all on the USAJobs website. They just changed their log-in procedures. PITA but I suppose more secure? Still a pain.

ETA: If you have a National Guard unit in your area, it's a great way to get some training and OJT in a new career! If you can qualify for that.

Last edited by hunterseat; 03-02-2018 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 01:29 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,005,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
OP, what part of the country are you in? I've got a thread going that I started probably a year ago on my job search. I work for the government and my last 3 jobs (including the one I have now) I was offered without an interview. I've been at this one for going on 3 years.
NOW??? Well, you could check out the thread. It's so different now. I have a fantastic resume and experience. I've had interviews galore and nothing. (I interview well.) Things have changed for sure.

HOWEVER, you should consider going after a gov't job, depending on what you need for a salary. Great benefits. Let me know if you want me to look around for you. It's all on the USAJobs website. They just changed their log-in procedures. PITA but I suppose more secure? Still a pain.

ETA: If you have a National Guard unit in your area, it's a great way to get some training and OJT in a new career! If you can qualify for that.
Ughhh... USAJobs. Completely WORTHLESS website that defies any real logic and common sense. . Most frustrating time of my Job searching career. WASTE of friggin time. Apply to a jobs that fit your criteria/experience/education to a T then get a crapped back reply letter indicating, you don't meet the... Minimum requirements?? Huh?? You meet every single one and then some.. and you get a canned, garbage automated response saying you don't even if you have been doing the EXACT same responsibilities for a decade? Or a "congratulations you have been referred to the hiring manager". Get your hopes up and of course radio silence even after following up with the HR contact. Im a veteran and get even get beyond the "referred to hiring manager" radio silence nonsense or a not selected. If you meet all the requirement and maximum requirements (much less minimum) and you can't even get an interview out of it its the epitome of screwed up.

Last edited by DorianRo; 03-02-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 03-02-2018, 01:33 PM

189 posts, read 172,735 times
It is about attendance if people have to cover your work when you are always calling in? It’s called reliability. They just don’t want to loose anyone in this dept because most people they hire don’t catch on or quite because they can’t handle it.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:31 PM

23,459 posts, read 19,098,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Ughhh... USAJobs. Completely WORTHLESS website that defies any real logic and common sense. . Most frustrating time of my Job searching career. WASTE of friggin time. Apply to a jobs that fit your criteria/experience/education to a T then get a crapped back reply letter indicating, you don't meet the... Minimum requirements?? Huh?? You meet every single one and then some.. and you get a canned, garbage automated response saying you don't even if you have been doing the EXACT same responsibilities for a decade? Or a "congratulations you have been referred to the hiring manager". Get your hopes up and of course radio silence even after following up with the HR contact. Im a veteran and get even get beyond the "referred to hiring manager" radio silence nonsense or a not selected. If you meet all the requirement and maximum requirements (much less minimum) and you can't even get an interview out of it its the epitome of screwed up.
Alright, go ahead and blame an unthinking website for your lack of success. The program didn't dream up your work experience, your skills, or how they were characterized within each of the little blank text boxes. YOU did. It didn't address the position KSAs, YOU did. All the silly website did was record and store what YOU put into it. Got it. If the website/program is so worthless why do hundreds of federal positions get filled every year using it? It is much easier than the "old" method of revising, re-typing, and hard-copy mailing dozens of paper applications to every vacancy, let alone even finding vacancies. You even have that much-to-be-desired veteran's preference bonus card that hundreds of applicants can't compete with. I've been hired through USAJobs for years, and I've also filled positions through USAJobs for years so have seen both sides of it. I'm sorry your experience was negative....but it wasn't due to a website. You happened to be one of who knows how many applicants for the same position. You were not selected. End of story.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-02-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-02-2018, 03:11 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,098,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
How can I taylor a resume for each job when all my experience is the same? Sales support, order entry, customer service. That is the only jobs I can apply for. I can’t do admin and I can’t do any accounting. I’ve tried and I was not good at all.
I would say ask your husband since he seems to be such and expert.

Seriously, with what he's said to you, why hasn't he offered to look over your resume and revise it so you'll get interviews?

Old 03-02-2018, 03:58 PM

23,459 posts, read 19,098,213 times
Quote:
How can I taylor a resume for each job when all my experience is the same? Sales support, order entry, customer service. That is the only jobs I can apply for. I can’t do admin and I can’t do any accounting. I’ve tried and I was not good at all.
Maybe I don't understand the question, but wonder if the suggestion included doing research on the company you are applying to and find ways to tailor your description of your skills (the sales support, order entry, customer service) to THEM more specifically. For example....if you are applying to a company that fills orders for clothing, tailor your work experience toward the clothing industry. What aspects of that industry are a little different than filling orders for food, hardware, etc? Use industry terminology/jargon, refer to standards that are unique to the clothing industry, rather than saying you can do "order entry" generically. Maybe the problem is that you see the job skills you have as being the same for all industries. I'm sure they aren't.

The other issue I see is your thinking that you can't do such and such (can't do admin...can't do accounting)....you are limiting yourself in the way you think about your own skills and experience. If you really can't do these other tasks then you may be best suited right where you are now unless you decide to learn these other skills.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:54 PM

5,017 posts, read 2,741,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Sounds like they are employed where they should be...

What makes you think a physics degree means someone is better at pouring coffee than no degree eat all? Why should some random degree mean success if they can't learn to do a job before walking on stage?
Physics is a STEM field where there are supposed to be incredible worker shortages and an unlimited amount of open unfilled positions. Physics is far from being a random degree for losers.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:02 PM

3,084 posts, read 2,427,584 times
Quote:
I’ve been sending resumes to many sales support and customer service positions on Indeed and Zip Recruiter. At least 30 posting in the last few days and my husband keeps saying I’m “not doing anything”. And I should have several interview lined up by now. How can I have interviews lined up if nobody is responding? My resume is professional and all my jobs are long term. 3 years (the one I’m at now), 5 years, 7 years. Many of my friends can’t find jobs either and all my husband keeps saying is there are hundreds of jobs and I should be getting many calls so I must “not being doing anything”. I said it might be because I don’t have a degree but he said that has nothing to do with it. He makes me feel so frustrated and like a loser. What else can I do? He tells me to take few days off and go to the unemployment office and they have all the “resources” to help me find a new job. Why would I take a few days off to spend at an unemployment office when everything is done online? I need to save those days off to interview if I ever get any. When the economy is bad I still got calls. Now, nothing. But of course my husband keeps telling me I’m doing nothing and he’d have like 10 interview lined up if he wanted them.
Also do you think not having a degree hurts me?
If you've heard absolutely nothing, have an eagle-eyed friend make sure your phone number and email are correct on your resume. Check your spam folder for responses, too. Also, have you applied at temp agencies? They should have something available in this economy.

If you think lack of education is the problem, look into Lynda.com courses to gain or upgrade your skills. I've taken some of their courses and highly recommend them.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:57 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,372,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Alright, go ahead and blame an unthinking website for your lack of success. The program didn't dream up your work experience, your skills, or how they were characterized within each of the little blank text boxes. YOU did. It didn't address the position KSAs, YOU did. All the silly website did was record and store what YOU put into it. Got it. If the website/program is so worthless why do hundreds of federal positions get filled every year using it? It is much easier than the "old" method of revising, re-typing, and hard-copy mailing dozens of paper applications to every vacancy, let alone even finding vacancies. You even have that much-to-be-desired veteran's preference bonus card that hundreds of applicants can't compete with. I've been hired through USAJobs for years, and I've also filled positions through USAJobs for years so have seen both sides of it. I'm sorry your experience was negative....but it wasn't due to a website. You happened to be one of who knows how many applicants for the same position. You were not selected. End of story.
Well said. I've been hired for 8 jobs - one I had to turn down because I just accepted a job in Hawaii. but I've applied to dozens upon dozens.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:38 AM

251 posts, read 204,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
This is not adequate. The suck it up routine is BS.

If a system is faulty and operates on a lottery principle (even for Vets????) It is unacceptable plain and simple. This is why the Federal Government is Geriatric in nature and moost of the young people got their appointments to positions either through State employment and networking or through being nominated or cherry picked for rubbing elbows (and other appendages) with the right individuals.

How many people do you really think get jobs from USAJobs each year compared to LinkedIn or Indeed?

I'm sure we are talking 1 in 250,000 vs. 1 in 50,000. Newsflash: The process is broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment