Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomedata View Post
As usual Brentwood is right, and my belief is that now days employment is hugely a matter of "who you know"; I have several friends who are currently "hiring managers" and everytime we discuss who they are hiring I always hear something like "...oh he is a friend of John's..." or "...that Investment banker we know brought up his name..." and so on. I am not interviewing, but to be brutally frank, if I was, I wouldn't even put my paper into a place where I didn't have an inside contact pushing me.

I don't agree with that because you still have to give it a shot even if you don't have a inside contact. If I didn't apply to the job I'm at now I would still be unemployed or working somewhere I didn't want to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:05 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Not everyone is as LUCKY as you TV Guy.
And STOP calling people bitter. If you didn't have money you'd be bitter, too. Today I was watching something on tv about frugal shopping for the holidays and I almost burst into tears.

I don't even SEE myself having money for my bills unless I get a job soon, let alone to buy 'frugal half price gifts' for people.

Some people are so 'detached from reality' because the rest of us are LIVING it.
No more posting about your awesome job finding skills, okay???

Old 07-09-2009, 07:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I am either invisible or in some alternative world where when I interview some 'other better candidate' comes along and I do not get offered the job. I was actually told this last week after one interview.

Recently I had 2 job interviews in schools for jobs below my education but I was perfectly willing to do them to get into a district and to gain experience so I can pursue certification in this state.

Well, I did not get either job. It is very disheartening. At the last one, I was well dressed and had 'a recommendation.' The woman who interviewed after me was in jeans and a T-shirt...I was like 'what the hell??'

Is dumbing down a resume the only way to be hired now? Or acting a bit stupid and dressing 'poorly?' I have brought my "A game" to every interview and can't get even a part time job.

I have experience and education, a nice personality, a sense of humor...and so on. I send thank yous, ask questions, answer thoughtfully and sincerely..

So....what to do?? I am out of answers and ready to move from here or just give up (can't afford to...but still, I feel like it.) I have NEVER had so much trouble finding a job. I am starting to think it's the area AND the economy...(we are considering moving again).

I appreciate all thoughtful answers, not stupid comments.
Believe me, many of us feel your pain. I have been looking for a job for a few months now in an environment where, two or three years ago, I would have a job in probably less than an afternoon of trying. Now, I send out resume after resume after resume, and I get *nada* in response.

It is exceedingly disheartening to say the least.

I hope that it is some consolation knowing that you are not alone. As for the other people who got the jobs that you did not get, they are probably willing to work for practically nothing, and since they don't have a very good presentation, the boss figures that when the economy picks up and the "good" people evaporate, then the losers will at least still be there - saving rehiring/retraining expenses. Crazy thinking, I know, but I am beginning to think that is what's going on.

Good luck to you. I can't help but think that eventually, things are going to turn around.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Not everyone is as LUCKY as you TV Guy.
And STOP calling people bitter. If you didn't have money you'd be bitter, too. Today I was watching something on tv about frugal shopping for the holidays and I almost burst into tears.

I don't even SEE myself having money for my bills unless I get a job soon, let alone to buy 'frugal half price gifts' for people.

Some people are so 'detached from reality' because the rest of us are LIVING it.
No more posting about your awesome job finding skills, okay???

Huh??? The previous poster said he would never apply to a company if he didn't know anyone who worked there and I said why not give it a shot because you never know what can happy. I didn't know anyone at my current company or any of the companies I applied to but I still sent the resume

Old 07-09-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Huh??? The previous poster said he would never apply to a company if he didn't know anyone who worked there and I said why not give it a shot because you never know what can happy. I didn't know anyone at my current company or any of the companies I applied to but I still sent the resume
You're lucky you got a job. Now you get to dispense advice to everyone else.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
Gypsy, I had been looking for 7 months, and the jobs here are hard to come by in my field. In Vermont, I can give you a little advice.
1. Network with the people, small state, so get out of that house, get to know your neighbors and make sure that "everybody knows your name" why you moved out there, what you want to do for your son
2. Pick up a copy of Thoreau's "On Walden's Pond" keep it in your purse. Read it, relax with it, know it, but be able to talk about it, most of all, show it off, discretely
3. Don't dumb your resume', minimize it We've all gone so far in the past to pat ourselves on the back that we've grown accustomed to that horn blowing we hear and forget it's our own self blowing it. Go through your resume, and put just some good basics, K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)
All this is for, people won't look at you as a charity case because of your son, they will see your devotion and sincere concern for moving there, with no other ulterior motives, that will remove the concerns they may have of that. The rest is just to make you fit in.
Just remember, KISS, not the band either, less make-up, hardly any at all.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:40 PM
FBJ

Quote:
You're lucky you got a job. Now you get to dispense advice to everyone else.

Well I certainly wouldn't give job searching advice if I was unemployed. Makes more sense to give job advice when you found a job, don't ya think?

If you found a job after a year and came across someone who was experience what you went through you wouldn't want to help them???????????????????

Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the advice, sinsativ. I am going to take a few days off to retool my resume and rethink my strategy again. (take another deep breath and go out there and get 'em on Monday).

Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, sinsativ. I am going to take a few days off to retool my resume and rethink my strategy again. (take another deep breath and go out there and get 'em on Monday).
That's the advice I give to other people but you constantly criticize me

Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't agree with that because you still have to give it a shot even if you don't have a inside contact. If I didn't apply to the job I'm at now I would still be unemployed or working somewhere I didn't want to work.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment