Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
If i had another girl I would name her "Dokman". It is the name of the first queen of Korea and is written with these two characters 徳曼。meaning ethical or ethics and the second one is something like beautiful, virtuous. I think it's a great name.
Sounds like a video game/anime character, lol. The 'man' at the end might cause a bit of teasing, but then again we have names like 'Amanda' and 'Samantha' lol, it's silly of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 08:50 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Sounds like a video game/anime character, lol. The 'man' at the end might cause a bit of teasing, but then again we have names like 'Amanda' and 'Samantha' lol, it's silly of course.
Actually the idea of an anime adventure of this character might be a big money maker for a studio. He life was really interesting and with a little work it could be come a popular thing. Kids all over the world watched the Japanese ¨Guardian of the Spirit¨a few years back. This might be something like that. The legend says she was really good a martial arts as well as being the first female ruler in East Asia and the second in the world after Cleopatra. I have a friend in Japan who works in anime. I am going to forward your idea to him. I´ll let you know what he thinks. It is already a very popular mini_series in Korea and a few other countries.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,793,025 times
Talking about Japanese and Korean...

20 years ago there was a Japanese tokusatsu television series called Kyojuu Tokusou Juspion that was aired in Brazil under the remodeled name "Jaspion".

"Jaspion" was a extremely popular TV series in Brazil in the years between 1989-1992.

Well... The fact is: I have already find some boys with ages between 18 - 19 years old called "Jaspion Ferreira" and "Jaspion Santos".

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Talking about Japanese and Korean...

20 years ago there was a Japanese tokusatsu television series called Kyojuu Tokusou Juspion that was aired in Brazil under the remodeled name "Jaspion".

"Jaspion" was a extremely popular TV series in Brazil in the years between 1989-1992.

Well... The fact is: I have already find some boys with ages between 18 - 19 years old called "Jaspion Ferreira" and "Jaspion Santos".

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know it but I just saw some of it on Youtube. Naming a kid after an historical figureis one thing but after an a anime character. LOL I mean like Dokman is one thing but Pacman. I don't think so.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:43 PM

I'm still waiting to see my first Goku, lol. Btw I always find it cute/have a giggle when I meet a Japanese person called Yoshi.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:18 PM

250 posts, read 661,832 times
In Hong Kong/Singapore, there aren't really "common" English names because it is popular to have a quaint, archaic name like "Cedrick," "Julius," or "Francis" for guys. I think "Terrence" is one of the most popular.

For girls, "Esther," "Margaret," "Mary," and "Sandy." Esther, as a Bible name, is used mostly among Christians.

My English name is "Cornelius" (also a Bible name), and I have never met anyone in Hong Kong named Cornelius. However, a Google Search for "Cornelius's" in Singapore yields amazingly bountiful results, proving again that rare names are popular among Southern Chinese men.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:25 PM

250 posts, read 661,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Seriously? It's a Roman name?

I didn't know that...

I guess that name was popularized in Brazil after Priscila Presley, the wife of Elvis...

It's an extremely popular name of girls here...
Priscila is also a Bible name (found in Acts).

My English name, Cornelius (which I hardly ever use) is also found in Acts. The -us ending indicates it is male and Roman.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
In Hong Kong/Singapore, there aren't really "common" English names because it is popular to have a quaint, archaic name like "Cedrick," "Julius," or "Francis" for guys. I think "Terrence" is one of the most popular.

For girls, "Esther," "Margaret," "Mary," and "Sandy." Esther, as a Bible name, is used mostly among Christians.

My English name is "Cornelius" (also a Bible name), and I have never met anyone in Hong Kong named Cornelius. However, a Google Search for "Cornelius's" in Singapore yields amazingly bountiful results, proving again that rare names are popular among Southern Chinese men.
I disagree, I know plenty of Singaporeans with 'common' 'English' names.

As for the question. It seems English names are common in African countries, Singapore, the Philippines and of course Europe and Latin America. I'm talking about where it's their official name. In many other countries, like China, when learning English many people give themselves English names. Not surprisingly South Asia, being so traditional, has not really adopted European names much.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
In some low income and poorly educated families in Brazil it's common to find not properly english names, but some aberrations created for sounding or looking like english words. Some stereotypical examples are: Wanderkleberson and Frednelson; and sometimes real english names are roughly transliterated into the portuguese orthography, like "Quétlen" (from "Kathleen").

Old 12-28-2012, 11:28 AM

190 posts, read 571,447 times
Among Chavs in Spain you find a lot of Jonathans, Kevin, Joels and Jeniffers. Dominicans also favour Hollywood names, they have names like Douglas, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World