Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 09:49 AM

311 posts, read 605,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
Having lived in Western Europe for 30 years and now in North America, I can say that financially theres no contest, I have way more money here and can afford more things.
If quality of life means material quality of life US is ahead, if you mean other things (family, ...), its more subjective.

Actually I see North America be more family-oriented than western Europe.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post

How so?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,960,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm sort of on the fence on this one. Name one country that the U.S. has invaded in the last 100 years that didn't deserve it in one way or another.

Vietnam had a communist takeover. Iraq had a genocidal maniac as their ruler. Afghanistan harbored Bin Laden and Al Qaeda. I'm surprised the U.S. hasn't gone into Syria yet. Obama is just trying to be nice but ending up looking like a wuss.
Name a country that didn't deserve it? Wonder why you think America has the right to go into any other country communist or not?
So any county that disagrees with the form of capitalism favoured by America has the right to try and destroy it?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,461 times
Quote:

You are kidding, right?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:11 AM

311 posts, read 605,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
You are kidding, right?
No I'm not. European children have more freedom regards to going out by themselves and taking public transportation or walk to their sports or places they want to go to, while North American children usually get a ride from their parents and do not go out on the streets alone or with them friends as much as European kids do. It's different lifestyle.

That's just one example.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 AM

119 posts, read 150,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Name a country that didn't deserve it? Wonder why you think America has the right to go into any other country communist or not?
So any county that disagrees with the form of capitalism favoured by America has the right to try and destroy it?
It's called Jingoism and pretty much sums up this thread. Extreme opinions on both sides (in terms of USA vs. non-USA).

Anyone simplifying 3-5 major military conflicts in one sentence is either a moron or refuses to understand. Well at least they "deserved" it.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
No I'm not. European children have more freedom regards to going out by themselves and taking public transportation or walk to their sports or places they want to go to, while North American children usually get a ride from their parents and do not go out on the streets alone or with them friends as much as European kids do. It's different lifestyle.

That's just one example.
plus you have your typical american suburb which is a very family-oriented place. homes with large yards, the residential streets have very low traffic so you see lots of kids outside playing. plus there's great schools, walking trails and city parks. If i had a family id defiantly live out in the suburbs

Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,915 times
The US isn't a bad place to live in, but by all means it is a bit overrated and hectic.
Good:
+ Loads of opportunity in terms of careers
+ Different areas to choose from
+ Diverse in terms of race/ethnicity and geography
+ Openness of people in terms of views

Bad:
- Many areas are spread out and you need a car to get around which isolates social interaction
- Hard to interact with people here because they think you're a rapist/murder/serial killer
- Massive superiority complex
- Spending habits of Americans are out of wack and take too many things for granted
- Too work-oriented
- Not laid back and too uptight
- Annoying aspects of society

Old 06-15-2012, 01:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Bad:
- Many areas are spread out and you need a car to get around which isolates social interaction
- Hard to interact with people here because they think you're a rapist/murder/serial killer
- Spending habits of Americans are out of wack and take too many things for granted
- Too work-oriented
Lol? we must be living in different countries

Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
The US isn't a bad place to live in, but by all means it is a bit overrated and hectic.
Good:
+ Loads of opportunity in terms of careers
+ Different areas to choose from
+ Diverse in terms of race/ethnicity and geography
+ Openness of people in terms of views

Bad:
- Too work-oriented
This is a good list. I would add to the positives our optimism. I was chided a few pages back for my willingness to work hard and hope for a bonus. I think that's an American trait. We usually assume things will get better in the future. Maybe its the lack of a long history or the lack of having been invaded. Maybe it's the whole Hollywood culture/happy endings. I guess you could put our optimism on the positive or the negative heading, depending on your point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World