Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 09:39 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times

Advertisements

The US is just an amalgamation of Europe, so maybe it's merely a case of self-loathing for those who like to get worked up about the topic.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:42 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,649 times
I'm British but I like Americans a great deal. I've known many from the east coast and they're generally laid back and easy to get on with.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:48 PM

270 posts, read 260,415 times
What really stuck with me was when I mentioned the "American Dream" to a friend in Germany. She laughed and said in disbelief "You do not think that this is a universal dream"? I was gobsmacked by this revelation.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:31 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Yet, Canadians, Australians or New Zealanders, who are in a similar boat, seem to know much more about the outside world than Americans. So the isolation or the sheer size of the US doesn't seem to be the only reason behind it.
Vacation time may be a point, but many middle-class Americans also get 4+ weeks of vacay time a year and even if not, you can still be informed about the world without actually visiting it.
I barely know anyone who gets 4+ weeks of vacation per year other than teachers, who (unfortunately) tend get paid like chumps. Most places offer you something like a week of vacation per year, plus you have a certain number of paid time off (PTO) days, which you can use on top of your vacation days... however, these are also your "sick" days for when you geet the flu or have to take your kid to the doctor, wake up and your car won't start, etc. So, that two-and-half week vacation could end up making it so that you have to unpaid time off and lose money if you get sick later in the year.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil Fools View Post
What really stuck with me was when I mentioned the "American Dream" to a friend in Germany. She laughed and said in disbelief "You do not think that this is a universal dream"? I was gobsmacked by this revelation.
There's a certain universalism to the general idea of the "American Dream."

I'm sure that if you asked a Palestinian or North Korean who thinks that America is an evil, imperialist monolith who is behind their suffering if they liked the thought of living in a two-story home with a yard, a fridge full of food, a garage with a minivan and a sedan, ordering pizza and drinking soda while watching sports on a big TV with their friends versus living in a repressive war zone dominated by warring factions or a restrictive totalitarian regime with an anti-thought gestapo, I'm sure that they'd tell you that it sounded nice... I have no doubt that most of them would prefer to see the stability, security, and freedom exist in their own country than having to emigrate to America to find it.

And yes: these dreamy suburbs can be found all over Europe, Canada, Australia, Japan, Korea, pretty much anywhere in the developed world. Safety and stability are one of the marks of living in a modern society. For some reason, though, it seems as though to some people, our suburbs get a write-off and are evidence of our regressive social failures.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:59 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
... if they liked the thought of living in a two-story home with a yard, a fridge full of food, a garage with a minivan and a sedan, ordering pizza and drinking soda while watching sports on a big TV with their friends

Delete bolded, cut and paste, then try this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
... if they liked the thought of living in a two-story home with a yard, a fridge full of food, a garage with a minivan and a sedan, ordering pizza and drinking soda while watching sports on a big TV.
Many immigrants who come to this country find that the price of all the former- is giving up the latter.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

Delete bolded, cut and paste, then try this:

Many immigrants who come to this country find that the price of all the former- is giving up the latter.
Which is precisely why I said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I have no doubt that most of them would prefer to see the stability, security, and freedom exist in their own country than having to emigrate to America to find it.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil Fools View Post
if the whole concept of " the american dream " was a puddle , you couldnt drown a mouse in it but despite its shallow superfical premise , for some reason , it appears to work , the idea wouldnt work in many countries however and any politican who tried to adopt such a banner would be laughed out of town

Old 12-16-2012, 10:37 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
I think i've come to the conclusion that America as a control is very diverse, region to region is greatly different and some of these regions bring down the rest of the country.
For example the so called 'bible belt' in the southeastern United states have such conservative (if thats the right term) views on the world such has marriage, sexuality, gun control etc... Other regions in the states or in this case cities like Las vegas (gambling) and los angeles has a 'fake' look to it in a way that America always does it big and better. Other regions like the PNW are seen generally as natural wildernesses. With many people focusing on one aspect of America it may be Hollywood and gambling or NYC's hip hop & rap, the religious peoples of the south or America's freedom.
The fact that you have to pay for healthcare, buy guns, obesity are all negatives about America.
The recent shooting in Newton, New England is terrible in a SCHOOL not so long after that massacre in Aurora, yet America gets surprised when people have alot of negative things to say about America.
So what makes America different from Canada, Australia or any other country?? Well America as a whole as all of these bad things going on for them that sometimes people can't see through America's faults.
Of course Americans are not arrogant, stupid, backwards, shallow, materialistic or religious because as a WHOLE America seems to have this perosnality. (of course they are people that have these qualities)
Now they are great things about the USA like being able to have free speech, having a democracy, big houses, the american dream, huge open spaces, the great cities amoung others, but sometimes SOME people only see negative while others especially young adults and teenagers see America as a superior, cultural place.

Alot of people interpret America very differently.

My personal opinion of America is that it sees itself as the best country on Earth, great cities, wilderness and mass killings but you can't blame me for thinking this, but as you have seen in this post i know most aspects of America the positive and the negative.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 AM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
What is the American dream?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World