Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 10:57 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else feel like a language kind of loses its charm a little bit after you actually learn it? Almost like a language is sexier when you can’t understand it.

I used to have a thing for the Spanish language and Spanish girls and I used to love to hear a girl speak Spanish but now that I can actually understand it, it’s just... words... lol.

It loses its exoticness. But it does make me appreciate the language in other ways too, like how expressive it is. For example things like the subjunctive mood that we don’t really have an equivalent for in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 03:35 AM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Does anyone else feel like a language kind of loses its charm a little bit after you actually learn it? Almost like a language is sexier when you can’t understand it.

I used to have a thing for the Spanish language and Spanish girls and I used to love to hear a girl speak Spanish but now that I can actually understand it, it’s just... words... lol.

It loses its exoticness. But it does make me appreciate the language in other ways too, like how expressive it is. For example things like the subjunctive mood that we don’t really have an equivalent for in English.
Yes of course. The old familiarity breeds contempt, equivalent. But above all the learning of a new language with fluency allows us to become somewhat different people, in a sense, as we take on the various attributes common in people speaking learned language as a mother tongue.
It could be as simple as the French shrug of the shoulders and raised eyebrows, the German rational in speaking and so on. Far more important than mere words.

Yes. A English person once told me they were intrigued by Italian, and learned it after years in Italy. The attraction was the emotion behind the constant barrage of words often heard. On being able to understand Italian, this person learnt what was being spoken was often the most mundane of things, but being discussed with such passion.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:58 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Heard Portuguese from Portugal at length for first time. It was not pleasant. So much sputtering with sh and soft g sounds at end of words. On the other hand, for me, Arabic is powerful and strong with depth of tone and expression. But I agree with Italian being the most beautiful.
Portuguese from Portugal has many different regional accents some of the phoenetics overlap Slavic languages. I"m not a fan of Arabic to my ears sounds aggressive and unrefined.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:11 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,915,169 times
Some interesting facts from my POV and taste:

- French is very overrated and labeled as "pretty", when it sounds the other way round to my ears
- In the other hand German is very underrated and much more smooth than how is often portrayed.
- Strangely enough, Bulgarian sounds very beautiful, fluid and with a lot of musicality, while all the other slavs languages are ugly to me.
- In a similar way, Hungarian is the only pretty language among central european countries.
- European portuguese sounds very unappealing while Brazilian portuguese is one of the prettiest languages of the world IMO. It seems like the brazilians took that language and made it shine.
- Greek and Georgian both sound very rough and unappealing when speaked, while, at the same time, they have some of the prettiest and most unique alphabets when written.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:57 AM

412 posts, read 301,761 times
If girl/woman speak french it sounds amazing to me. So sexy I like spanish, english with british accent and hungarian.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:10 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Italian, Spanish and Portuguese are probably the prettiest to me.

Second tier would go to English and French.

When it comes to ugliest, I’m afraid that Mandarin, Thai, Vietnamese and the like do nothing for me.

I really like Japanese though.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:48 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,384,546 times
I think the most beautiful language for every person is his/her native language so the following is not a judgment ...

The most pleasant languages ​​I have heard in terms of sound are Spanish and Italian as well Japanese;

non-beautiful languages from my POV are so called tonal languages such as Swedish, Norwegian, Chinese, Vietnamese.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:17 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
A problem with (standard) Mandarin Chinese is, most speakers are actually non-native.
Very few people speak standard Mandarin at home. They learn it at school, and use it with Chinese people from other places. But it can be artificial that way.

It's like listening to Chinese, Indians, French, or Russian people trying to speak American English. Some can be very fluent, but still have that unnatural prosody.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:15 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,215 times
I love the sound and intonation of Swedish. Don’t understand it at all. I also like the way they pronounce names. They have a beautiful sound compared to the same name in English. Benjamin sounds something like Ben ya min, for example.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:30 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,384,546 times
Well, in fact no language is ugly, simply the languages ​​in which some syllables are emphasized by means of a separate intonation seem to me to be somewhat unfamiliar at first glance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World