Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:36 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormadNYC View Post
i noticed at the top you put 18 dollars and you call that cheap, you can honestly go to a nice buffet here in the states for 7 dollars.
An all-you-can-eat buffet for €5 would be hardly stomachable here. At least it wouldn't be nice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 06:45 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,468 times
Hmm, in Italy there's hardly a strong foreign cuisine and it's far below Italian one (also because most Italians prefer eating at home),anyway:
Kebab
Chinese and Japanese= 90% of times, Japanese restaurant are owned and run by Chinese
Fast Food/Mexican

Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
Yes, but Mexican has the hype factor at the moment. Basically, Australia only recently discovered Tex Mex, it is the in thing. And is especially popular in hipster areas.

Same in Sydney, I've seen many visitors from America and Europe who are experienced with travel, being surprised at how authentic Chinese food is here.
Well by popular I'm talking about prevalence/number of restaurants.etc, but you're right Mexican is the new in thing. I notice American cuisine like Louisiana creole/cajun, Southern BBQ is the new in thing too. I recently had a pulled pork po-boy at a food stall it was pretty good, if I open a food stall/cart/truck/restaurant it will be 'real' American cuisine.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:13 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,555 times
Here in western Oregon we have

1) American version of Italian, especially pizza
2) Mexican
3) American version of Chinese (which my Chinese friend says is not even close to authentic)
4) Vietnamese, Thai, Indian about equal for 3rd place
5) One middle eastern restaurant

I wish we had more variety in this town. Portland, Oregon has a lot more.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:21 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well by popular I'm talking about prevalence/number of restaurants.etc, but you're right Mexican is the new in thing. I notice American cuisine like Louisiana creole/cajun, Southern BBQ is the new in thing too. I recently had a pulled pork po-boy at a food stall it was pretty good, if I open a food stall/cart/truck/restaurant it will be 'real' American cuisine.
I would say Tex-Mex is real American. It is distinct from the food of northeastern Mexico.

I LOVE all the kinds of chilis we have here in the USA, especially the western USA. Some are full-bodied with no heat, some really hot, and so many flavors. That is in my opinion the best thing we have that people outside the Americas don't have. Ground pasilla (ancho) chilis, with little heat but a whole lot of body, have no substitute, not even close. Hot-hot fresh habaneros with their tangy unique flavor, absolutely rock! I have a long list here. This is chili paradise.

Edit: Hungary has great things going on with their paprikash, so I say they have a place of honor too. SE Asia has incredibly good chili-hot dishes, but that's not so much the chilis themselves as the other flavors they add to their more limited choice of chili types. Indian food is so complex with its spices, and delicious, but they don't have the range of chilis that the western USA has.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 02-21-2014 at 09:22 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 10:35 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I would say Tex-Mex is real American. It is distinct from the food of northeastern Mexico.

I LOVE all the kinds of chilis we have here in the USA, especially the western USA. Some are full-bodied with no heat, some really hot, and so many flavors. That is in my opinion the best thing we have that people outside the Americas don't have. Ground pasilla (ancho) chilis, with little heat but a whole lot of body, have no substitute, not even close. Hot-hot fresh habaneros with their tangy unique flavor, absolutely rock! I have a long list here. This is chili paradise.

Edit: Hungary has great things going on with their paprikash, so I say they have a place of honor too. SE Asia has incredibly good chili-hot dishes, but that's not so much the chilis themselves as the other flavors they add to their more limited choice of chili types. Indian food is so complex with its spices, and delicious, but they don't have the range of chilis that the western USA has.
Yes, I mean that area was both part of Mexico/a republic then the US so it's basically all pretty local anyway.

Well chillis came from the Americas, so it would make sense...

Old 02-21-2014, 11:05 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,591,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In Perth, Western Australia they would be:

Not including American style fast food like McDonald's...

1. Italian/Chinese
3. Indian
4. Thai
5. Vietnamese
6. Malaysian/Singaporean
7. Indonesian
8. French
9. German/Spanish/American/other

As you can see, Asian food dominates...
Pretty much right I'd probably add Japanese and Middle Eastern to the top 5/6 and maybe Mexican in the top 10.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:32 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,219,896 times
Here in DC metro area, there are foreign cuisines that are prominent and popular (in no particular order):

Salvadorian
French
Italian
Thai
Vietnamese
Peruvian
Indian
Lebanese
Chinese
Ethiopian
Haitian
Jamaican
Dominican
Korean
Japanese
Greek
Persian/Iranian
Colombian
Afghani
English/British
Irish
Filipino
Singaporean
Malay
Moroccan
Mexican
Eritrean
Nigerian
Kenyan
Egyptian
Sudanese
Trini
Pakistani

Last edited by tcave360; 02-22-2014 at 12:49 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 12:49 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
I lived in Zurich in 2008. The situation may have changed but my experience is like this:

First of all, there are kebab places at every corner, usually run by some Turkish/Mediterranean kind of people. About $10 for a wrap.
Italians restaurants are everywhere, more than anything else (including Swiss restaurants). Usually a spaghetti dish charges $30. I did not eat a lot of pizza there and forgot the price.
There are a some Chinese restaurants run by recent immigrants from Mainland China, and the food is decent. Usually a dish costs about $20. Vietnamese/Thai noodle soup is slightly cheaper.
French restaurants are not hard to find. I only tried a few times and it costs much.

McDonald's is popular too, and a meal costs $12. A German friend told me he loves the taste. I saw one Subway.

For authentic Swiss food, I only remember the cheese fondue. It is interesting but I don't think many people want to eat that repeatedly.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:38 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,219,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You could also go the Flushing, Queens which has NYC's second (smaller) Chinatown.
As well as Brooklyn's Sunset Park neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World