Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 10:26 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
The Olympics are over. Here go the medal counters figuring every which way trying to prove which country was this or that and why. Get over it. Athletes won the medals because they trained hard, sacrificed and were better than others.

How many of you medal counters have actually participated in any kind of competitive sport?

It is so sad to read all the BS.
Ah, it's all in good fun Mr Baron, at least from my perspective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 11:24 AM

1,529 posts, read 916,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Ah, it's all in good fun Mr Baron, at least from my perspective
Fun? Perhaps?

If patting yourself on the back and stroking your ego by building up the accomplishments of your country's athletes gives you a thrill, go for it. I do however resent those posters who constantly put down other countries. That is rather low class and

Old 08-22-2016, 11:30 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Not when you consider the size and wealth of a country it isn't! put it this way the UK can produce a medal winning athlete from approximately every 896,000 of its population but the US can only produce a medal winning athlete from approximately every 2,900,000 of its population! Both countries also have a HUGE advantage because they are rich countries.
Your argument doesn't hold water. It has already been explained that each country can only have a certain number of athletes in each event regardless of that country's population. How are you not understanding that?

Old 08-22-2016, 11:33 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I mean, I know we're awesome and all but gold after gold after gold, it gets tiring at some point. Seriously, other countries need to step up, we're winning wrestling, swimming, volleyball, soccer(!!!), gymnastics, and literally everything else. I'm just in awe at how amazing we are, that's all.
I'm not gonna read this whole thread, but I'm shocked that people can't see the obvious, which is that the USA wins more medals because it's simply got more athletes participating in the games than lots of other countries (with much smaller populations). And by the way, the USA did NOT win volleyball or soccer. And you've also got some sports where an athlete can participate in several different events e.g., swimming. Why do you think Michael Phelps has so many medals?

Old 08-22-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
I'm not gonna read this whole thread, but I'm shocked that people can't see the obvious, which is that the USA wins more medals because it's simply got more athletes participating in the games than lots of other countries (with much smaller populations). And by the way, the USA did NOT win volleyball or soccer. And you've also got some sports where an athlete can participate in several different events e.g., swimming. Why do you think Michael Phelps has so many medals?
Winterfall's OP is utter BS. I posted a response (#190) a few days ago.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:05 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Your argument doesn't hold water. It has already been explained that each country can only have a certain number of athletes in each event regardless of that country's population. How are you not understanding that?
Just imagine how loudly people would be screaming if each country were allowed a number of participants in proportion to its population.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:23 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Just imagine how loudly people would be screaming if each country were allowed a number of participants in proportion to its population.
Oh I know. Some of the people posting here are so dense it's terrifying.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:30 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,380,011 times
How many consecutive years/decades that US is dominating the Olympics?

I was still a young child and every time I see a medal tally, US is always on top.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
How many consecutive years/decades that US is dominating the Olympics?

I was still a young child and every time I see a medal tally, US is always on top.
Does that matter?

Old 08-22-2016, 01:20 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Letting countries have more entrants isn't going to boost medal counts for a country unless it's something like "group tug of war" that is added as an event.

Countries with major advantages are ones with a highly diverse genetic base. For example, Kenya has lots of runners....not so many shot-putters. The US has a little bit of everything where some countries are much more homogeneous.

Wealth is the other huge advantage. Swimming pools and gymnastics facilities and top-notch medical and other training staff cost a lot of money.

Another would be mechanisms to reward the pursuit of athletics. You might not make the Olympic team and make millions in endorsements like Phelps....but you can get a full-ride to college.

Lastly Title 9 and womens sport in the US are much more developed. I'd be curious how the comparative looks when you split male and female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World