Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 09:29 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Istanbul and it's not even close. Iran is far too conservative.

Montreal, Canada vs Melbourne, Australia
Montreal, Canada. Have loved every trip there. Melbourne is fine, but simply doesn’t seem to be as much fun.

Tbilisi, Georgia vs Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 10:08 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
Tbilisi. Never been to either one but Tbilisi is high on my list considering.

Monterrey, Mexico v Valencia, Spain

Old 07-02-2020, 10:21 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,715,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Tbilisi. Never been to either one but Tbilisi is high on my list considering.

Monterrey, Mexico v Valencia, Spain
Valencia because it's safer, has better architecture and is on the coast.

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia vs. Quito, Ecuador

Old 07-03-2020, 10:53 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Valencia because it's safer, has better architecture and is on the coast.

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia vs. Quito, Ecuador
Quito - I speak Spanish, and my roommate is from there so I'd have some connections.

Prague, CZ or Warsaw, Poland

Old 07-03-2020, 06:53 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,501,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Quito - I speak Spanish, and my roommate is from there so I'd have some connections.

Prague, CZ or Warsaw, Poland
I haven't been to either, but Prague strikes me as a more beautiful city.

Budapest, Hungary vs Bucharest, Romania

Old 07-03-2020, 09:10 PM

34 posts, read 22,660 times
Talking Baltimore or St. Louis?

I did some cursory research and St. Louis appears to be a city on the upswing, while Baltimore seems to be headed in the opposite direction. Housing, crime, and cost of living are comparable, but the food scene is stronger in St. Louis. Both have professional sports, which helps provides jobs and the tax base, but overall St. Louis seems to be a more appealing option.

If anyone’s willing to share any information about transportation and climate, that could help push the thread forward

Old 07-04-2020, 08:01 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singingshortie View Post
I did some cursory research and St. Louis appears to be a city on the upswing, while Baltimore seems to be headed in the opposite direction. Housing, crime, and cost of living are comparable, but the food scene is stronger in St. Louis. Both have professional sports, which helps provides jobs and the tax base, but overall St. Louis seems to be a more appealing option.

If anyone’s willing to share any information about transportation and climate, that could help push the thread forward
Professional sports are a pretty small drop in the bucket in terms of the jobs and tax base. Yes I'd agree it is a positive*, but more a sign of a healthy economy rather than a catalyst for one. (*And by the way it is very debatable whether they are even a net positive considering the huge incentives and subsidies most top-level American sports teams receive.)

Not sure that St Louis' food scene is stronger either. They both have good qualities, and Baltimore is acclaimed for seafood, crab cakes in particular. Baltimore also has strong ethnic cuisine (Italian and Korean eg)

Climate is relatively comparable between the two. The avg highs and lows throughout the year are remarkably similar, as are the humidity levels. St Louis appears to be slightly more humid in the summertime, otherwise almost identical on those two average measurements.

Both Baltimore and St Louis have modest rail systems. My familiarity lies more with Baltimore so I can say that despite its modesty and its low ridership, its rail and bus systems are quite useful within its desirable neighborhoods. St Louis does have some really nice walkable neighborhoods that are also accessible to transit so I want to acknowledge that as well. Where Baltimore really separates is considering connectivity to other major cities, since it sits along the BOS-WAS corridor. Baltimore is soooo convenient to Washington DC...under an hour train ride and CHEAP! You're looking at just over an hour by train to Philly and 2.5 hours to NYC.

Overall I'd pick Baltimore personally but that's because I value asian diversity and Baltimore has this significantly over St Louis.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:25 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,715,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Professional sports are a pretty small drop in the bucket in terms of the jobs and tax base. Yes I'd agree it is a positive*, but more a sign of a healthy economy rather than a catalyst for one. (*And by the way it is very debatable whether they are even a net positive considering the huge incentives and subsidies most top-level American sports teams receive.)

Not sure that St Louis' food scene is stronger either. They both have good qualities, and Baltimore is acclaimed for seafood, crab cakes in particular. Baltimore also has strong ethnic cuisine (Italian and Korean eg)

Climate is relatively comparable between the two. The avg highs and lows throughout the year are remarkably similar, as are the humidity levels. St Louis appears to be slightly more humid in the summertime, otherwise almost identical on those two average measurements.

Both Baltimore and St Louis have modest rail systems. My familiarity lies more with Baltimore so I can say that despite its modesty and its low ridership, its rail and bus systems are quite useful within its desirable neighborhoods. St Louis does have some really nice walkable neighborhoods that are also accessible to transit so I want to acknowledge that as well. Where Baltimore really separates is considering connectivity to other major cities, since it sits along the BOS-WAS corridor. Baltimore is soooo convenient to Washington DC...under an hour train ride and CHEAP! You're looking at just over an hour by train to Philly and 2.5 hours to NYC.

Overall I'd pick Baltimore personally but that's because I value asian diversity and Baltimore has this significantly over St Louis.

Budapest because I think it's a more beautiful city with better architecture. I also find the language really interesting and unique.

Doha, Qatar vs. Abu Dhabi, UAE

Old 07-05-2020, 08:36 AM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Budapest because I think it's a more beautiful city with better architecture. I also find the language really interesting and unique.

Abu Dhabi seems more interesting and supposedly it's a less restrictive / conservative than Doha, Qatar.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:47 PM

76 posts, read 38,910 times
Quote:

Abu Dhabi, but I'm going to feel like a bum living there with the amount of money flowing through that place.

Bangkok, Thailand vs. Cartagena, Colombia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World