Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2019, 07:45 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpaker View Post
I have a snobby English friend who cannot stand Australia, Nor he seems to enjoy Australians too much.

Ironically he's not the first British man I know that doesn't seem to enjo anything Australian. I also know a man from Scotland who has been to over 70 countries but refuses to even visit Australia.

That does not mean I would not visit Australia, however I would not live there... I need to live in real countries like European ones or Asia. Basically the old world.

Australia to me has this offshoot of America feeling, Sort of an invented country rather than a real nation.
There are plenty of Brits living in Australia, and Australians also enjoy travelling.

There's a bit of harmess banter over the Ashes (Cricket) or Rugby, but basically ost people like Australians, indeed they enjoy a beer and I have always found them very friendly.

Earls Court before it became ever more gentrified, was where the Australian community in London was always centered around, although it now tends to be a bit more spread out.

The Canadians are also very friendly and Canada Day in London is full of Canadians enjotying themelves.

Both great countries, and could live in either one, indeed they are two of the best countries in the entire world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 08:22 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There are plenty of Brits living in Australia, and Australians also enjoy travelling.

There's a bit of harmess banter over the Ashes (Cricket) or Rugby, but basically ost people like Australians, indeed they enjoy a beer and I have always found them very friendly.

Earls Court before it became ever more gentrified, was where the Australian community in London was always centered around, although it now tends to be a bit more spread out.

The Canadians are also very friendly and Canada Day in London is full of Canadians enjotying themelves.

Both great countries, and could live in either one, indeed they are two of the best countries in the entire world.
Yeah. Dislike of Australia and of Australians, while I am sure it exists, can't be anything but a tiny phenomenon.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:25 PM

565 posts, read 672,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
This is just a light rail. There were no enough money to build a metro line. A metro line was a better option for those places. Seriously, a light rail to go to the airport????
The Montreal REM trains will be the exact same ones that are used for the Sydney metro. You consider the Sydney metro to be a light rail???

Last edited by begratto; 12-13-2019 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-13-2019, 01:47 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
The Montreal REM trains will be the exact same ones that are used for the Sydney metro. You consider the Sydney metro to be a light rail???
Don't bother with that guy, he was pretty much wrong about everything he said concerning Mtl.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:15 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,310,708 times
Some good things happening in Sydney to report. Our long awaited light rail from the city to Randwick, is opening today. Basically the start of bringing back the trams that were ripped out many years ago. Free travel all weekend. We have yet to try out our new metro line in the NW.

Last night we had free tickets for a concert at (I am not joking about the name of this suburb) Rooty Hill RSL. The club is in heartland of Western Sydney, near some of the most disadvantaged suburbs. Out of its profits from poker machines an enormous club has been built. Including a brand new beautiful 2000 seat theatre.
It was a fantastic concert and everyone can have their own views on the rights and wrongs of gambling. The staff were very upbeat and I think they were very proud of their lovely thetre.

But what pleased us is that we live more than 60 kilometres from this place and as we were travelling in peak hour we allowed two hours to drive there. Took 65 minutes there and about 55 back, mostly on two motorways, which unfortunately can get very busy at times. For us, not much longer than getting home from the city.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:09 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,505,192 times
Quote:
I have a snobby English friend who cannot stand Australia, Nor he seems to enjoy Australians too much.

Ironically he's not the first British man I know that doesn't seem to enjo anything Australian. I also know a man from Scotland who has been to over 70 countries but refuses to even visit Australia.

That does not mean I would not visit Australia, however I would not live there... I need to live in real countries like European ones or Asia. Basically the old world.

Australia to me has this offshoot of America feeling, Sort of an invented country rather than a real nation.
We all have our own priorities. Personsally i am a dual British/Australian cititzen married to a Korean national who who's family live in one of the highest density areas of Seoul. We could go and live in europe or Korea at a whim if needed, though would much prefer Australia.

Yet 20 years ago i could hardly wait to leave Australia for London, In 5 years abroad I visited 65 countries, and had no desire what so ever to go to the US or Canada, because of the kind of opinion you expressed on the bottom paragraph. In hindsight Its a decision i now regret.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:04 PM

570 posts, read 509,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
FYI
Sydney metro capacity : 378 seats, with a total capacity of 1,100

Montreal REM: Theoretical capacity: 600 passengers
Maximum capacity: 780 passengers
Seats: 128

Old 12-13-2019, 06:05 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Some good things happening in Sydney to report. Our long awaited light rail from the city to Randwick, is opening today. Basically the start of bringing back the trams that were ripped out many years ago. Free travel all weekend. We have yet to try out our new metro line in the NW.
Nice. I wish we could get at least a tram here where I live.

This is what the Toronto street cars look like. You can see the old and newer ones in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI-SLL-Cd2k

Old 12-13-2019, 08:54 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Canada will have one big advantage moving forward in the future over Australia IMO and that is water resources. Canada has more fresh water resources than any other country by far and that will help it a lot. Australia by contrast is stuck in perpetual droughts and does not have many water resources to begin with. The only way this will not be a major issue for Australia is if there can be a very cheap desalination technology made available for the masses. There are several possibilities on the horizon but nothing yet on a huge scale and at the price Australia truly needs.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:19 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:

So have you ever visited Australia? I've seen you express so many negative opinions in various threads, and although mostly wrong, I had assumed you'd been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World