Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yeah, so cities Like LA and Detroit are multicultural, with one or two languages spoken and a handful of nationalities, but European cities with 200 languages spoken and 100 nationalities ain't?

So if a city is 50% Finnish and 50% Swedish it's not multicultural. But 50% American and 50% Mexican is.

Quite striking logic.
I was just answering your question, never said that Detroit was multicultural. LA definitely is, though, the Latino/Mexican culture is very evident, as well as various Asian cultures (Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Filipino, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, Persian, Armenian) and the city is home to many nationalities speaking many languages. Angelenos also enjoy cuisines from all over the world. I think by world standards most people would agree that Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, New York, Washington DC are more diverse than Moscow by a long shot. Moscow is really not much more diverse than most world cities like Beijing or New Delhi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,487 times
SAN JOSE

30% white(All variations of European), 29% Hispanic(Central American, South American, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Dominican,etc.) 30% Asian(Chinese,Japanese, Korean, Pilipino, Vietnamese, Laotian,Cambodian, Taiwanese, etc.) 5% Black rest Pacific Islanders and others. The majority is only 30%. Name me another big city where that is true.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:48 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
A lot of large US cities are diverse. San Diego is also a pretty diverse place. I have met and befriended people from the following groups: Ethiopians, Eritreans, Filipino, Jordanians, Belgians, Bulgarian, Spanish, Cuban, Burmese, Russian, Pakistani, Puerto Rican, Argentine, Peruvian, Honduran, Salvadoran, Brazilian, Israeli, Lebanese, Turkish, and of course Mexicans.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,306 times
Its funny you would say kuala umpur because ive been there and the majority of people i see there are malays and chinese.I would really bet on metro manila because of the large number of japanese,chinese,indian,spanish,korean and american groups and Metro manila is classified as a social urban conglomerate.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:32 AM

293 posts, read 317,161 times
These threads amaze me. Westerners perceptions of "diversity" is shockingly inaccurate. We often have things so "white washed" we view different colors and groups in a city as "diversity." Step foot in a large city in Africa. Most of us generalize Africa and Africans that we think they are all the same. In reality many cities in Africa and Asia are incredibly diverse with numerous different ethnicities and cultures living amongst each other. We however decide to often lump groups into one and look past this.

In reality, most capital cities in Africa are the most diverse in the world if you take into account actual cultural diversity.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Yeah, so cities Like LA and Detroit are multicultural, with one or two languages spoken and a handful of nationalities, but European cities with 200 languages spoken and 100 nationalities ain't?
Los Angeles is more than just English and Spanish.

Diversity Spoken in 39 Languages - Los Angeles Times

though that's 83% of the population:

http://www.laalmanac.com/population/po47.htm

Old 06-20-2014, 12:25 PM

520 posts, read 1,515,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
These threads amaze me. Westerners perceptions of "diversity" is shockingly inaccurate. We often have things so "white washed" we view different colors and groups in a city as "diversity." Step foot in a large city in Africa. Most of us generalize Africa and Africans that we think they are all the same. In reality many cities in Africa and Asia are incredibly diverse with numerous different ethnicities and cultures living amongst each other. We however decide to often lump groups into one and look past this.

In reality, most capital cities in Africa are the most diverse in the world if you take into account actual cultural diversity.
I agree, but the same can be said for many European cities. People on here will say that Moscow or Riga aren't diverse because they are mostly populated by Europeans but then there is a large linguistical (e.g. in Riga) and cultural (e.g. Moscow) diversity.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Los Angeles is more than just English and Spanish.

Diversity Spoken in 39 Languages - Los Angeles Times
I know.

But 39 languages isn't really a lot.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:03 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
I know.

But 39 languages isn't really a lot.
That article just refers to the small town of Bellflower in the LA suburbs though.

This is the list for LA County:

CDC SNAPS | Los Angeles County, California: Languages Spoken at Home

Though foreign languages don't last as long in the US--since by the second generation most immigrants or children of immigrants are speaking English overwhelmingly (even among the large Hispanic populations for the most part though in some places Spanish is more common). Which is a good thing--since having large longlasting linguistic minorities can lead to more ethnic division and separtist movements as in otherwise stable nations like Canada or Belgium.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
AAAAARGGHHH!

Why don't you read the whole thread all of you?

The original point was that someone stated how US metropolises are so diverse while the European aren't, and then someone posts some ethnic census stats how only 50% of LA are of the national majority. My point was that the overwhelming majority or the minorities of LA are Hispanic, with some African-American and Chinese big minorities.
Meanwhile in cities like London, there's over 200 languages spoken, the absolute % of minorities might be smaller, but the diversity of the minorities are larger. Hell, I think even Helsinki with 615k people has some 140 languages spoken at home.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-21-2014 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World