Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is better to live United States or Australia?
United States 110 53.66%
Australia 58 28.29%
Stay in UK 15 7.32%
Other 22 10.73%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:47 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,229 times

Advertisements

Australia ranks higher than the US in quality of life/human development index. With that being said their housing bubble doesnt look like it's going to burst any time soon. Australians pay ridiculous amounts for housing, and at the same time average wage is less in Australia. Meaning when speaking averages you get "more bang for your buck" in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 02:12 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
the OP said her family is interested in NH. NH and the new england states regularl rate very low for crime,and area always 'the safest to raise a family'. That said,the US has many small cities that are quite safe and enjoyable to live in.

I think the US has more choices for cities and towns to live in-more habitable areas than australia,so more choices for climate,geograpy,college town vs. industrial city,vs. small tourist town,vs. larger city,etc,etc.

Australia has some great,liveable cities;I'm thinking that overall there are more choices of places to go w/in the US. Just my thought.

Also,since cost was mentioned,the US still has a number of places/states with affordable housing and cost of living. It does vary considerably between regions and even w/in individual states. Best to narrow down a region and research from there. Also doing an international cost of living comparison index,where you plug in both locations,is good. You can easily do this online for free,and do it w/in the USA as well. ie,if you think you might make 30k a year in the US [USD],plug in that amount for two cities,such as one in NH and say,one in connecticut or California or michigan,and see how much you'd need in each place,for the same standard of living.

I know this original post was in 2009,but i'm sure people will ask similar questions in the near future,so i figured i'd add my two cents.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-13-2010 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-16-2010, 04:25 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Oops sorry! Well i actually think australia is more akin to the US than to UK. Maybe the accent and some sort of local culture is more similar to the UK but the cities in australia and the politics are alike to that of the USA. I think Australia might be a better choice, but it depends what you plan on doing. If you want to start kind of new than australia is good, US is better if you have a higher degree and if you do than choose USA.
As a person that lives in Australia I disagree that the US is more like Australia than to UK. The system of government is more like the UK than the US, and the type of English that is learned in schools is queens English.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Just browsed the NationalGeographic detailed map of Australia and guess what I've found ? about 1/3 of the country (mainly the central and northern parts) are aboriginal reservations. I mean, did the Aussies gave nearly 1/3rd of their land to these primitive tribes, didjeridoo players and terracotta artists? seems gross to me!
Anyway if you study the history of that region you would understand why the government gave the Aborigine tribes the reserves. Not just from the white prospective but the Aborigine prospective. Look up into the lands rights issues starting from the 1960s.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:56 PM

36 posts, read 212,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
the OP said her family is interested in NH. NH and the new england states regularl rate very low for crime,and area always 'the safest to raise a family'. That said,the US has many small cities that are quite safe and enjoyable to live in.

I think the US has more choices for cities and towns to live in-more habitable areas than australia,so more choices for climate,geograpy,college town vs. industrial city,vs. small tourist town,vs. larger city,etc,etc.

Australia has some great,liveable cities;I'm thinking that overall there are more choices of places to go w/in the US. Just my thought.

Also,since cost was mentioned,the US still has a number of places/states with affordable housing and cost of living. It does vary considerably between regions and even w/in individual states. Best to narrow down a region and research from there. Also doing an international cost of living comparison index,where you plug in both locations,is good. You can easily do this online for free,and do it w/in the USA as well. ie,if you think you might make 30k a year in the US [USD],plug in that amount for two cities,such as one in NH and say,one in connecticut or California or michigan,and see how much you'd need in each place,for the same standard of living.

I know this original post was in 2009,but i'm sure people will ask similar questions in the near future,so i figured i'd add my two cents.
Im glad people are still takening an interest in replying, family has still be talking about this for the last month or so and how easy is it to get to US and Australia? I heard alot of NH being safe for familys and where we living at the moment should be safe, but its not as at day time you get chavs picking on people or worse.
Mainly, also comes down to how easy is it to find a rented place in both places and jobs?
Also, as being in a big family, what about schools/high schools etc in US and Australia?
How does the heath care work in both to?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 PM

667 posts, read 940,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFoxx View Post
Hey, My family is thinking about moving to United States... well me more, but they are just unsure and they like Australia as well as me also coz my mum has family out there.
This well be a very big move, so we want to get it right... i'm sure they are both great places to live, but whats the best overall?
We live in the UK at the moment, but want a new start.
I will be very greatful for replys and if you can answer the poll also, thank you.
UK is OK, but if you want categorical immigrate than choose USA. More cheaper, more opportunities, but worst child education ( High-Schools) and sometimes not nice neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
UK is OK, but if you want categorical immigrate than choose USA. More cheaper, more opportunities, but worst child education ( High-Schools) and sometimes not nice neighborhood.
Yea, that maybe true... but what do you mean by not nice neighborhoods?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:03 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,932 times
Australia is populated 22 million people.
The U.S. has 308 million legal aliens plus more than 10 million illegal aliens.
Australia has a higher quality of life than USA and UK.
The mass transit system is better in Australia (compared to the US)
The australian mínimum wage is higher than the U.S. AmericAn mínimum wAge.
Australia has universal healthcare like europe and Canadá.
Queen Eli2 is the head of state of Australia (political stability).
Australia established a mínimum salary for every career/profession, so nobody is underpaid.
The unemployment rate of Australia is one of the lowest in the world.
Thousands of beaches, beautiful and advanced cities... Melbourne is called "the perfect city".
Australia is the most british blooded country outside europe.

So, if you want money, Universal healthcare, and more employment opportunities, Australia is the best choice.

The U.S. Has the worst gini coefficient of the developed world. 1% of the U.S. Population owns 34% of the U.S. Wealth. 10% of the population owns 67% of the U.S wealth. (Wikipedia: United States of America)

Australia has a Gini coefficient similar to the strongest euro countries.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Quote:
Im glad people are still takening an interest in replying, family has still be talking about this for the last month or so and how easy is it to get to US and Australia?
This whole issue is dead in the water unless you answer the above question for yourself. Which country can you even get into?

I'd love to move to the US too, but immigrating there is next to impossible - permanently, that is. They don't have the same skilled-migrant class of permanent residency visa that countries like Oz and Canada have. Unless you can buy a business for at least half a million bucks (which would be a huge risk given the economy now), you have to find an employer to sponsor you - and again, given the economy and how many Americans are out of work, I'd say that would be a slim to none chance unless you have special skills in demand. And this sponsored visa would be temporary - get fired or laid off and you have to leave, unless you can find another employer. Many go for that visa but that would not be the way I'd want to live, especially with a family and especially in this economy. And speaking of economies, Oz fared much better through the GFC and we're still going pretty strong, for now. Unless the current govt totally stuffs us up or China implodes.

Quote:
Mainly, also comes down to how easy is it to find a rented place in both places and jobs??
And you can only get a job with a valid visa that allows you to work - get that visa and how easy it is to find a job depends on a lot of factors no-one can really answer for you. As for renting - depends on where and the availability of rental properties and how much money you have to spend.

Quote:
Also, as being in a big family, what about schools/high schools etc in US and Australia?
How does the heath care work in both to?
In Oz, you pay 1.5% of your income on your tax return to the Medicare Levy. If you want Private Health Insurance, that'll cost you about $270/month for a family - this covers private hospital care and ancillaries like optical, dental, chiro, physio, etc. But not everything is covered 100%, there are limits and you often have to pay a "gap".

When you go to a doctor here they charge $65 for a normal consultation. Medicare pays about half that, the rest you pay out of your pocket, whether you have private health insurance or not.

Yes, we have universal healthcare here but it's not free unless you're on welfare, which you don't qualify for as an immigrant for 2 years. It all depends on how many times you go to the doc. For a big family it could cost you several thousand a year in total costs: medicare levy, private health insurance, plus all the costs/fees not 100% covered.

I can't be specific on the way it works in the US.

Last edited by Vichel; 05-18-2010 at 07:45 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Australia is populated 22 million people.
The U.S. has 308 million legal aliens plus more than 10 million illegal aliens.
Australia has a higher quality of life than USA and UK.
The mass transit system is better in Australia (compared to the US)
The australian mínimum wage is higher than the U.S. AmericAn mínimum wAge.
Australia has universal healthcare like europe and Canadá.
Queen Eli2 is the head of state of Australia (political stability).
Australia established a mínimum salary for every career/profession, so nobody is underpaid.
The unemployment rate of Australia is one of the lowest in the world.
Thousands of beaches, beautiful and advanced cities... Melbourne is called "the perfect city".
Australia is the most british blooded country outside europe.

So, if you want money, Universal healthcare, and more employment opportunities, Australia is the best choice.

The U.S. Has the worst gini coefficient of the developed world. 1% of the U.S. Population owns 34% of the U.S. Wealth. 10% of the population owns 67% of the U.S wealth. (Wikipedia: United States of America)

Australia has a Gini coefficient similar to the strongest euro countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
This whole issue is dead in the water unless you answer the above question for yourself. Which country can you even get into?

I'd love to move to the US too, but immigrating there is next to impossible - permanently, that is. They don't have the same skilled-migrant class of permanent residency visa that countries like Oz and Canada have. Unless you can buy a business for at least half a million bucks (which would be a huge risk given the economy now), you have to find an employer to sponsor you - and again, given the economy and how many Americans are out of work, I'd say that would be a slim to none chance unless you have special skills in demand. And this sponsored visa would be temporary - get fired or laid off and you have to leave, unless you can find another employer. Many go for that visa but that would not be the way I'd want to live, especially with a family and especially in this economy. And speaking of economies, Oz fared much better through the GFC and we're still going pretty strong, for now. Unless the current govt totally stuffs us up or China implodes.

And you can only get a job with a valid visa that allows you to work - get that visa and how easy it is to find a job depends on a lot of factors no-one can really answer for you. As for renting - depends on where and the availability of rental properties and how much money you have to spend.

In Oz, you pay 1.5% of your income on your tax return to the Medicare Levy. If you want Private Health Insurance, that'll cost you about $270/month for a family - this covers private hospital care and ancillaries like optical, dental, chiro, physio, etc. But not everything is covered 100%, there are limits and you often have to pay a "gap".

When you go to a doctor here they charge $65 for a normal consultation. Medicare pays about half that, the rest you pay out of your pocket, whether you have private health insurance or not.

Yes, we have universal healthcare here but it's not free unless you're on welfare, which you don't qualify for as an immigrant for 2 years. It all depends on how many times you go to the doc. For a big family it could cost you several thousand a year in total costs: medicare levy, private health insurance, plus all the costs/fees not 100% covered.

I can't be specific on the way it works in the US.
Thanks alot to you both for your replys and what happens with jobs and healthcare.
I know if we pick Australia it would be Brisbane area.
How many do they class as a family for healthcare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World