Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:37 PM

800 posts, read 4,301,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No, I haven't sought out a publisher. I'm a little overwhelmed by the prospect.
Have you ever thought of self-publishing? It's not as scary as you'd think. I highly recommend a book by Dan Poynter called The Self-Publishing Manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 10:56 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,240,348 times
Angel Bear

Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent at this juncture. I just have self image issues, and a total lack of self esteem. Rejection by either the publisher and/or readers would probably kill any ambition to write further. Maybe my boys will find this stuff later.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent at this juncture. I just have self image issues, and a total lack of self esteem. Rejection by either the publisher and/or readers would probably kill any ambition to write further. Maybe my boys will find this stuff later.
There's always an audience for every type of writing Have you ever thought of joining a writer's group? If you join the right one, you can get positive feedback about how to get as polished as you can before you submit your work, etc.

Just some food for thought...I can relate to the self-esteem bit, but after I really examined mine, I realized for me it was about fear. I also realized that if I didn't get my work out there, I'd have no audience (or at least a bigger one LOL), so then, I came to this conclusion that having an audience (for me) would fuel my ambition to write

I used to be so afraid to put myself out there 'cause I thought my grammar and punctuation and spelling were poor.

Lots of great writers are undiscovered

Old 05-05-2007, 02:02 PM

Not a lot of writers groups up here. And life tends to get in my way most of the time as I have to travel to the bush on a regular basis.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:24 PM

11,400 posts, read 24,487,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Not a lot of writers groups up here. And life tends to get in my way most of the time as I have to travel to the bush on a regular basis.
Are there on-line writers groups? Must be. You seem to interact quite well with us on this forum. Maybe someone can help you find one that will agree with you.

I'm not a writer, per se, but part of what I do for a living involves writing. I've had a couple of small things published but they were merely extensions of I was doing at the time.

Writing is harder than digging ditches, imo.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:01 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,258,340 times
I am a twice published poet.

I started working on a short story about a million years ago, and have never been happy with the flow. I have tweaked the story line so many times that I have lost what it started out to be.

I also write a health column for a pet website (does that count?).

Old 05-05-2007, 11:13 PM

My oldest is also a published poet (two poems). Maintains a journal too. Boswell lives.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 PM

Yes, there are on-line writers' groups out there There's so many to choose from, but there's something out there for everyone

Old 05-13-2007, 02:09 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,675,236 times
would have thought more writers would be around to post to this thread. Life is funny.

I am a writer, started out writing romance and had a newspaper column. Now, I write mainly for our business, creating all proposals and letters to prospective clients as well as ad work. Boring, but at the moment with all that is happening in my life, it is all I can do.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:26 PM

8 posts, read 38,833 times
Nope. Not anymore. I wrote for TNA Wrestling (No. 2 wrestling promotion in North America) and SLAM! Wrestling (legit media outlet in Canada) between 2004 and 06'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing