Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:55 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I was one of the banes of that place in my day, I'm proud to say. I was the wrong person to have on your trust list if you wanted to make friends with Nirav Tolia.
Care to elaborate?

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:01 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,475,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Care to elaborate?

Ken
Why, sure:

My breast pump review

Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,343,429 times
I started writing in high school. A friend of mine came in one morning talking about a weird dream she had that all of us were involved in, and I couldn't get the darn thing out of my head. So, I started writing it down as a story. I've been doing it ever since. My family thinks I live in a dream world because I start "writing" in my head when I'm bored. But it gets on paper later, and then, they want to know when I'm gonna get it published and make us all rich. (Yeah, that'll happen.)
But it did turn into a career of sorts. It came in handy when I started working in broadcasting covering news, and later, as a journalist.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Pretty darned funny.
I have to admit however that I don't understand how that relates to your comment "I was the wrong person to have on your trust list if you wanted to make friends with Nirav Tolia."

You're darned good writer.

Ken

Old 07-09-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Pretty darned funny.
I have to admit however that I don't understand how that relates to your comment "I was the wrong person to have on your trust list if you wanted to make friends with Nirav Tolia."

You're darned good writer.

Ken
Thanks. Nirav wanted straight product reviewing, to the best of my knowledge. He didn't want someone reviewing Grand Theft Auto III as a homeschooling tool, or Hustler as a women's magazine, or adult uses of sippy cups. So if you wanted to gain favor with Epinions (be an Advisor/CL/etc), you didn't want to be rating my reviews well.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Nirav wanted straight product reviewing, to the best of my knowledge. He didn't want someone reviewing Grand Theft Auto III as a homeschooling tool, or Hustler as a women's magazine, or adult uses of sippy cups. So if you wanted to gain favor with Epinions (be an Advisor/CL/etc), you didn't want to be rating my reviews well.
Ah, not appreciating your humor eh?
Well, I've been away from the site for a number of years now and (as you may recall) was pretty much simply a travel reviewer so the current direction of the site (focusing on consumer goods) was never anything that really got me excited.

I vaguely recall that Nirav was involved in some scandal regarding doctoring his resume. Can't remember the details though.

Ken

Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Ah, not appreciating your humor eh?
Well, I've been away from the site for a number of years now and (as you may recall) was pretty much simply a travel reviewer so the current direction of the site (focusing on consumer goods) was never anything that really got me excited.

I vaguely recall that Nirav was involved in some scandal regarding doctoring his resume. Can't remember the details though.
I would put it this way. If you happened upon one of my reviews, it might not necessarily be consumer-helpful, though it might be amusing. This was not what was wanted. The resume scandal was after he left, but yeah, Nirav evidently added a few key details.

Had I traveled more, I'd probably have written more in that category. That's how I remember your own reviews, which I always enjoyed reading. Travel bios are one of my favorite genres, so it's natural I was drawn to those. Had you been the best motorcycle reviewer on Epinions, I likely never would have seen any of them.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:15 AM

129 posts, read 557,521 times
I'm a freelancer. I write feature articles for Wisconsin Woman Magazine, and I'm starting to do more work on web copy, particularly entrepreneurial blogs.

I'm also planning to start working on a book about goal setting and self-discipline.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 851 times
I love to write and have always wanted to write a novel. Have started one but hit a brick wall. Was in an abusive marriage for 26 years and have written a few scenarios from that as a "therapy tool" my shrink recommended.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:54 PM

52,338 posts, read 52,791,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I was just wondering if anyone out there is a writer or a poet. If so, what do you write and what are you working on right now?

I was wondering if some of the good writers here could give me some advice. My background in school has been very technical courses, electronics, math, basic physics.

I've never really thought of myself as that type of "writer" guy. I always poo poo'd the idea. But lately I'm discovering a side of myself in just the last couple of yrs that I never really knew I had. I've seem to develop a witty sense of humor and many times people have said to me that I have a way of using certain words to make things funny meaningful in some way.

So I guess my question is how would I develop that side of me, being a tech head my whole life...

Any suggestions on how to bring out the writer/poet/comedian in me???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing