Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:08 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,437,816 times

Advertisements

I'm not a writer, I'm more into petroglyph's and various other scribblings .... they're far more expressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 06:38 PM

345 posts, read 204,262 times
Welll Dear cil, the snarky tone is invited by 80% of the folks that have opposing views. I'm not here to molly coddle the lunatic fringe. I enjoy seeing the posts of like thinking people. The only credibility I lend to wrong thinking people is their ability to solicit the framing of my responses. Believe it or not there is a right and a wrong way to think. Very clear right and wrong ways. In reading the thoughts of so called professional writers over the past 40 years I have learned that right thinking people are truly in the minority and not inclusive of most of those writers. A good deal of "conflicts" have only one side,-the right side, which is what makes them "conflicts". However, I do appreciate the invited constructive criticism. I will take your snarky comment into consideration.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,096,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
At best we just add information for processing. Maybe sometimes set a spark but rarely break through a firewall. Way too mnay folks here say they don't understand some of what I write. I think it is their brain though, - not my writing. Then again...I'm open to constructive criticism?Welll Dear cil, the snarky tone is invited by 80% of the folks that have opposing views. I'm not here to molly coddle the lunatic fringe. I enjoy seeing the posts of like thinking people. The only credibility I lend to wrong thinking people is their ability to solicit the framing of my responses.
Does this mean you are only writing for your pleasure alone, and perhaps that of like-minded others?
That's fine--but I would think that by writing only instructively, with that intent, it's unlikely that you're ever going to break through that firewall you mention.

Quote:
Believe it or not there is a right and a wrong way to think. Very clear right and wrong ways. In reading the thoughts of so called professional writers over the past 40 years I have learned that right thinking people are truly in the minority and not inclusive of most of those writers. A good deal of "conflicts" have only one side,-the right side, which is what makes them "conflicts". However, I do appreciate the invited constructive criticism. I will take your snarky comment into consideration.
I was less interested in being snarky than I was trying to tell you that a condescending writing style (bickering, writing with the attitude that the other person is weird, wired strangely, needs and belief adjustment etc) is simply not going to be persuasive communication for the reader.
I did not intend to patronize you myself.

I do think there are writers, here at CD and out in the world, who can compose a piece in a humorous, down to earth tone that does indeed make people think twice, no matter what the issue. I can disagree with a writer, such as P.J. O'Rourke, and still appreciate his witty incisiveness.
Will he change my mind?
I dunno, but PJ himself used to be a rabid leftie, so there you go.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:17 AM

345 posts, read 204,262 times
o.k. Cil, you seem o.k. in your writing and your bio, not one of them. It's not that I don't respect other peoples opinion but there are some for which I have limited to no tolerance. I don't feel too bad about that because I think that is shared. I don't expect to win a pulitzer here. Though I have read some Pewlitsers. It encourages one to write and frame ones thoughts. That would be my motivatin to post. Only time and maturity wil make a leopard change it's spots.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 PM

165 posts, read 556,063 times
I'm not a writer, But I do sometimes write down my dream and ideas. I wrote another AmittyVille sequel for myself. I wrote what I thought would happen in a Polterguiest 4, It- Part 2, Freddy Vs. Jason, and another Breakfast club. I don't have much writing experience, but it's okay enouph for my own gravititication.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:38 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,651,395 times
Default A link for anyone interested

There was a link in the newspaper a couple of days ago for anyone interested, about writing a book in 60 or what not.

How To Write A Book In 60 Days Or Less

Old 09-01-2008, 10:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,281,786 times
I started out in newspapers when I was 18. Then went to the far more fun, far more lucrative field of advertising for the past 20 years. I do a lot of consulting and writing, including the occasional magazine piece.

Published two mid-list fictions books to good reviews, both funny, neither very lucrative. I hope that I'm working on my breakout novel now. I'm trying to have the first draft finished by Thanksgiving. The outline is done, the notes are written, and the characters fleshed out. Now, hopefully, it's a matter of stringing everything together.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,275,151 times
I've done lots of consulting that involves writing, editing and translating. I've had several articles published on business and cultural issues.

I'm working on my first novel right now (for about three years with starts and stops due to personal and career reasons - and a fair amount of missing discipline). It's about 70% finished, some parts almost completely polished, others only in first or second draft stage. I aim to have a draft ready to show people by early January.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,481,060 times
This forum and my blog are my only real experiences with writing. I've never written anything before in my life but I really do enjoy it and I like it when people enjoy what I've written. I have found that it has been a wonderful way for me to organize my thoughts and it has been an excellent "de-stressor" for me as well.

I never jot anything down for some reason. I just write what comes off the top of my head. However, I fear that if I ever wanted to even think about getting published I'd have to be a bit more organized.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:13 PM

12 posts, read 29,256 times
i'm a writer. not a published writer, but i write as a hobby (wait does that count?)

most of my stories are fictions.
majority of my fictions is realistic fictions about dealing with stuff anyone could go through. i mostly write two different types of fiction. Realistic and Fantasy. My fantasy ones are crazy though, but hey they are the good type of crazy.

i'm going to start writing ( or should I say typing) on a new story once my computer starts working (i'm on my grandma's right now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing