Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,494 times

Advertisements

Sounds like there's something in there that you need to get out. Writing is a good outlet. In particular, if there are things that you can't or don't want to talk to people about, try journaling. That's one of the methods a lot of teachers use to teach students to express themselves through writing. An advantage to it is that if you don't like what you read, you don't have to show it to anybody. After I became a journalist, I kept writing fiction. Still do. It's a great way to keep your mind working the way it needs to in order to write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:55 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was wondering if some of the good writers here could give me some advice. My background in school has been very technical courses, electronics, math, basic physics.

I've never really thought of myself as that type of "writer" guy. I always poo poo'd the idea. But lately I'm discovering a side of myself in just the last couple of yrs that I never really knew I had. I've seem to develop a witty sense of humor and many times people have said to me that I have a way of using certain words to make things funny meaningful in some way.

So I guess my question is how would I develop that side of me, being a tech head my whole life...

Any suggestions on how to bring out the writer/poet/comedian in me???
Best way to become a better writer is simply to write (as much and as often as you can).
Sounds trite I know, but that's the long and the short of it in my experience.

Ken

Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times
I'm a writer. I've been asked by a friend to contribute an essay to the literary journal she edits. I'm terrified!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,958 times
I'm a music writer (hip-hop)!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
I know this is probably a stupid question but how important is having a really strong background in English for a writer. I posted earlier about being a "tech head" and not having the whole English background for being a writer.

I suppose that's what editors are for??

I feel like I have stories/poems in me. I'd hate to be hindered by not having strong grammar skills.

What do you think???

Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 PM

34 posts, read 75,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Best way to become a better writer is simply to write (as much and as often as you can).
Sounds trite I know, but that's the long and the short of it in my experience.

Ken

i agree w/ u. that's why i try to work on my novel @ least a couple times a wk. the first few mins are always the hardest just to get back into my charaters heads.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:08 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,365,413 times
I've never called myself a writer but I guess I am. In television I wrote hundreds of commercials, and some pretty good radio spots too. Every year for the past several years I have written a short Christmas story for my friends. Now if I don't send one every year I get yelled at. I've had a few things published in newspapers too. I've even written a short novel, and now I want to make it longer so it sits there waiting for me to stop procrastinating. I just posted this on another thread, but here's my book pitch...if I ever get to pitch it:

Though he may be helpless against adults, both those that nurture him and those that seek to do him harm, ten year old Bobby Flynn is still a male, and being male implies looking out for one’s self, defending one’s honor, defeating one’s enemies, and if necessary, exacting revenge. Regardless of his age, it’s inherent, inborn, innate…it’s a ‘guy’ thing.

It is1950; a small town in West Virginia; a 10 year old boy from a poor family is raped by someone he thought he could look up to, thus devastating his already low self-esteem. Too afraid and embarrassed to report the crime, he resorts to boyish fantasies to make up for the loss of childhood innocence and to regain his self-respect. When a local coal miner is accidentally blown to bits, little Bobby Flynn, with the unsuspecting help of his three best buddies, literally stumbles upon a way to exact revenge. But as he discovers in this poignant but darkly humorous tale, revenge is not always sweet, and a childhood lost is never regained.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I've never called myself a writer but I guess I am. In television I wrote hundreds of commercials, and some pretty good radio spots too. Every year for the past several years I have written a short Christmas story for my friends. Now if I don't send one every year I get yelled at. I've had a few things published in newspapers too. I've even written a short novel, and now I want to make it longer so it sits there waiting for me to stop procrastinating. I just posted this on another thread, but here's my book pitch...if I ever get to pitch it:

Though he may be helpless against adults, both those that nurture him and those that seek to do him harm, ten year old Bobby Flynn is still a male, and being male implies looking out for one’s self, defending one’s honor, defeating one’s enemies, and if necessary, exacting revenge. Regardless of his age, it’s inherent, inborn, innate…it’s a ‘guy’ thing.

It is1950; a small town in West Virginia; a 10 year old boy from a poor family is raped by someone he thought he could look up to, thus devastating his already low self-esteem. Too afraid and embarrassed to report the crime, he resorts to boyish fantasies to make up for the loss of childhood innocence and to regain his self-respect. When a local coal miner is accidentally blown to bits, little Bobby Flynn, with the unsuspecting help of his three best buddies, literally stumbles upon a way to exact revenge. But as he discovers in this poignant but darkly humorous tale, revenge is not always sweet, and a childhood lost is never regained.
All too familiar with the procrastinating thing. In the same boat myself. Sounds like you have a serious story to tell. I say you should go for it.

Ken

Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_celtic81 View Post
i agree w/ u. that's why i try to work on my novel @ least a couple times a wk. the first few mins are always the hardest just to get back into my charaters heads.
Good for you.

Ken

Old 07-11-2009, 10:13 AM

82 posts, read 210,502 times
I write an online column for Examiner.com. I moved from New Jersey to Arizona twelve years ago and write for "transplants". And there are a lot of those in Arizona!

It's mainly about the culture shock I experienced after leaving NJ, whose tremors I still feel to this day.

If you want to check it out, please do so!
Transplants To Phoenix Examiner

My latest column talks about the main reason we moved here and is called "The blizzard that broke the transplant's back". Does anyone here remember the blizzard of '96? I'll wager that if you were alive then, you do.

Susan

Last edited by NJ2AZSusan; 07-11-2009 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing