We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||37.2 years|
|Alabama median age:||35.8 years|
Zip code: 36005
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $23,327 (it was $17,858 in 2000)
Banks-Josie CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $91,257 (it was $52,500 in 2000)
Races in Banks-Josie, AL (2000)
- 1,70078.5%White alone
- 40518.7%Black alone
- 321.5%Two or more races
- 100.5%American Indian alone
- 10.05%Other race alone
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 136.0 square miles.
Population density: 16 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Banks-Josie:
- High school or higher: 65.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Banks-Josie CCD:
- Never married: 20.1%
- Now married: 62.1%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 9.2%
- Divorced: 8.6%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Banks-Josie CCD:||0.4% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Montgomery, AL (45.5 miles , pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (587.4 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Banks, AL (1.9 miles ), Brundidge, AL (3.0 miles ), Inverness, AL (3.0 miles ), Troy, AL (3.3 miles ), Needmore, AL (3.3 miles ), Clio, AL (3.8 miles ), Louisville, AL (3.8 miles ), Henderson-Spring Hill, AL (4.2 miles ).
Latitude: 31.85 N, Longitude: 85.79 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 334
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (16%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Metal and metal products (5%)
- Food (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (5%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Health care (10%)
- Food and beverage stores (8%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (4%)
- Private households (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (11%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (7%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (5%)
- Cashiers (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Art and design workers (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Accountants and auditors (4%)
Average climate in Banks-Josie, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Banks-Josie-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Alabama state average. It is 43% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/1969, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 26.2 miles away from the Banks-Josie place center killed 2 people and injured 14 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 12/19/1974, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 2.9 miles away from the place center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Banks-Josie-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Alabama state average. It is 84% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 100.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 137.2 miles away from Banks-Josie center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 183.3 miles away from the city center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 390.5 miles away from the city center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 136.8 miles away from Banks-Josie center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 237.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Pike County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 5, Storms: 5, Floods: 4, Tornadoes: 3, Drought: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Banks-Josie:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Banks-Josie:
- Troy University (about 10 miles; Troy, AL; Full-time enrollment: 16,148)
- Enterprise State Community College (about 39 miles; Enterprise, AL; FT enrollment: 2,101)
- Tuskegee University (about 41 miles; Tuskegee, AL; FT enrollment: 2,810)
- George C Wallace State Community College-Dothan (about 42 miles; Dothan, AL; FT enrollment: 3,611)
- Auburn University at Montgomery (about 43 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 4,092)
- Faulkner University (about 45 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 2,887)
- Alabama State University (about 47 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 5,457)
Notable locations in Banks-Josie: Jerusalem Campground (A), Devil Neck (B), Saco Volunteer Fire Department (C), Banks Volunteer Fire Department Station 1 (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Banks-Josie include: Ramah Primitive Baptist Church (A), Pleasant Hill Church (B), Providence Church (C), Ramah Church (D), Antioch Church (E), Zebulon Church (F), Bethel Baptist Church (G), Clayhill Church (H), Full Gospel Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Cotton Cemetery (1), Benson Cemetery (2), Conner Cemetery (3), Enon Cemetery (4), Hussey Cemetery (5), Old Canaan Cemetery (6), Old Dothan Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Wilsons Pond (A), Barbarees Pond (B), Hardens Pond (C), Shipmans Pond (D), Richardsons Pond (E), Pine Lake (F), Pikes Pond (G), Foy Ingram Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Ryals Branch (A), Log Creek (B), Ousley Branch (C), Morgan Branch (D), Little Buckhorn Creek (E), Highsmith Branch (F), Griffin Branch (G), Gores Branch (H), Flat Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2005 was 27.6. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2005 was 23.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.5 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2007 was 0.230. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 11.6 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Banks-Josie compared to Alabama state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (49%)
- Electricity (47%)
- Wood (3%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Banks-Josie CCD (based on Pike County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Pike County:||2.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pike County:||0.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pike County:||5.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
7.11% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,193 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Montgomery County, AL||0.62% ($24,645 average AGI)|
|from Houston County, AL||0.51% ($21,235)|
|from Coffee County, AL||0.47% ($26,809)|
7.46% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($26,220 average adjusted gross income)
0.12% of residents moved to foreign countries ($640 average AGI)
Pike County: 0.12% Alabama average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Banks-Josie:
- WTBF (970 AM; 5 kW; TROY, AL; Owner: TROY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WQLS (1200 AM; 10 kW; OZARK, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WMSP (740 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WACV (1170 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: MONTGOMERY BROADCAST PROPERTIES, LTD)
- WOOF (560 AM; 5 kW; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WOOF, INC.)
- WDJC (850 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WASG (550 AM; 25 kW; ATMORE, AL; Owner: 550 AM, INC)
- WMAC (940 AM; 50 kW; MACON, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WKNG (1060 AM; daytime; 50 kW; TALLAPOOSA, GA; Owner: WKNG, INC.)
- WAPI (1070 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Banks-Josie:
- WTBF-FM (94.7 FM; BRUNDIDGE, AL; Owner: TROY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WQLD (104.3 FM; LUVERNE, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZHT (105.7 FM; TROY, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WAXU (91.1 FM; TROY, AL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WTSU (89.9 FM; MONTGOMERY-TROY, AL; Owner: TROY STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WLWI-FM (92.3 FM; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WKMX (106.7 FM; ENTERPRISE, AL; Owner: WKMX, INC.)
- WBAM-FM (98.9 FM; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: DEEP SOUTH BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHHY-FM (101.9 FM; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WZTZ (101.1 FM; ELBA, AL; Owner: ELBA RADIO COMPANY)
- WAOQ (100.3 FM; BRANTLEY, AL; Owner: ALATRON CORPORATION, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Banks-Josie:
- WRJM-TV (Channel 67; TROY, AL; Owner: JOSIE PARK BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSFA (Channel 12; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- WCOV-TV (Channel 20; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: WOODS COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WGIQ (Channel 43; LOUISVILLE, AL; Owner: ALABAMA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
- WNCF (Channel 32; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CHANNEL 32 MONTGOMERY LLC)
- WDIQ (Channel 2; DOZIER, AL; Owner: ALABAMA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
- WMCF-TV (Channel 45; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Banks-Josie on our top lists:
- #68 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Petroleum and petroleum products merchant wholesalers"
- #82 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Religious workers"