|Median resident age:||41.3 years|
|Virginia median age:||35.1 years|
Zip codes: 23824.
Blackstone town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $89,520 (it was $59,300 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $883.
- Black alone - 1,752 (48.4%)
- White alone - 1,611 (44.5%)
- Hispanic - 192 (5.3%)
- Two or more races - 34 (0.9%)
- Asian alone - 15 (0.4%)
- Other race alone - 12 (0.3%)
- American Indian alone - 5 (0.1%)
|Living in Blackstone, VA (9 replies)|
|Is Farmville, VA a jewel in the rough? (34 replies)|
|Relocating: Richmond vs Roanoke vs Lynchburg (19 replies)|
|How long before the housing market bubble trickles to the DC exurbs? (47 replies)|
|Need info on Blackstone, VA (33 replies)|
|I need some trains... (19 replies)|
Latest news from Blackstone, VA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (9.3%), Subsaharan African (8.4%), English (8.0%), German (6.8%), Polish (5.3%), Hungarian (4.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1888
Elevation: 427 feet
Land area: 4.53 square miles.
Population density: 789 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Blackstone:
- High school or higher: 69.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.0%
- Unemployed: 7.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Blackstone town:
- Never married: 30.7%
- Now married: 38.1%
- Separated: 3.2%
- Widowed: 16.0%
- Divorced: 12.0%
117 residents are foreign born (1.1% Europe).
According to our research of Virginia and other state lists there were 27 registered sex offenders living in Blackstone, Virginia as of April 19, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Blackstone to the number of sex offenders is 133 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $547 (0.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $355 (0.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Richmond, VA (43.6 miles , pop. 197,790).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Raleigh, NC (94.1 miles , pop. 276,093).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (254.4 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Nottoway Court House, VA (2.4 miles) , Crewe, VA (3.2 miles ), Kenbridge, VA (3.2 miles ), Burkeville, VA (3.7 miles ), Victoria, VA (3.7 miles ), Warfield, VA (4.0 miles) , Alberta, VA (4.0 miles ), Lunenburg, VA (4.1 miles) .
Latitude: 37.08 N, Longitude: 78.00 W
Area code: 434
|Crime rates in Blackstone by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.9)||279.9||301.4||262.4||291.0||400.3||339.9||299.5||271.7||280.2||284.0||199.6||321.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Blackstone detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.46|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -195 (-5.0%).
- Public administration (28%)
- Construction (24%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Health care and social assistance (9%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Manufacturing (7%)
- Transportation and warehousing (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (20%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Health care and social assistance (11%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Manufacturing (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Top executives (3%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (9%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (4%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
Average climate in Blackstone, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Blackstone-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Virginia state average. It is 23% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/22/1983, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 1.7 miles away from the Blackstone town center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 8/6/1993, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 32.6 miles away from the town center killed 4 people and injured 246 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Blackstone-area historical earthquake activity is near Virginia state average. It is 85% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/9/2003 at 20:59:14, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB, 4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 35.7 miles away from the city center
On 5/5/2003 at 16:32:32, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 47.1 miles away from Blackstone center
On 10/21/1998 at 05:56:47, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.3 LG, Depth: 8.3 mi) earthquake occurred 29.1 miles away from the city center
On 3/15/1991 at 06:54:08, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 10.9 mi) earthquake occurred 46.5 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 331.1 miles away from Blackstone center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 334.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Nottoway County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 3, Droughts: 2, Floods: 2, Storms: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Robert Jones (American football) - College football player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Blackstone:
Airports located in Blackstone:
- Allen C Perkinson Blackstone Aaf Airport (Runways: 2, Itinerant Ops: 153, Local Ops: 1,000, Military Ops: 3,000)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Blackstone:
- Southside Virginia Community College (about 18 miles; Alberta, VA; Full-time enrollment: 3,716)
- Longwood University (about 27 miles; Farmville, VA; FT enrollment: 4,565)
- Virginia State University (about 34 miles; Petersburg, VA; FT enrollment: 5,815)
- John Tyler Community College (about 38 miles; Chester, VA; FT enrollment: 5,864)
- University of Richmond (about 43 miles; University of Richmond, VA; FT enrollment: 3,745)
- Virginia Commonwealth University (about 45 miles; Richmond, VA; FT enrollment: 26,647)
- Virginia Union University (about 46 miles; Richmond, VA; FT enrollment: 2,028)
Private high schools in Blackstone:
Public elementary/middle school in Blackstone:
- Blackstone Primary School (Students: 558; Location: 615 EAST STREET; Grades: PK-4)
Notable locations in Blackstone: Nottoway County Emergency Squad Substation (A), Southside Convalescent Home (B), Louis Spencer Epes Memorial Library (C), Blackstone City Hall (D), Blackstone Fire Department (E), Nottoway County Emergency Squad (F), Blackstone Police Department (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Main business address in Blackstone: CITIZENS BANCORP OF VIRGINIA INC (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Blackstone include: Spring Hill Church (A), Faith Church (B), Blackstone Baptist Church (C), Blackstone Presbyterian Church (D), Crenshaw United Methodist Church (E), Saint Lukes Episcopal Church (F), Seventh Day Adventist Church (G), Shiloh Baptist Church (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Lakeview Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Park in Blackstone: Blackstone Historic District (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotel: Grey Swan Inn Bed & Breakfast (615 South Main Street).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Blackstone and their reported violations in the past:BLACKSTONE, TOWN OF (Address: 100 WEST ELM STREET , Population served: 6,345, Surface water):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Average - Between JAN-2012 and MAR-2012, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (MAR-05-2012), St Public Notif requested (MAR-05-2012), St Public Notif received (APR-04-2012), St Compliance achieved (APR-17-2012)
- MCL, Average - Between OCT-2011 and DEC-2011, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JAN-03-2012), St Formal NOV issued (JAN-03-2012), St Public Notif received (JAN-30-2012), St Compliance achieved (APR-17-2012)
- MCL, Average - Between JUL-2011 and SEP-2011, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (SEP-20-2011), St Formal NOV issued (SEP-20-2011), St Public Notif received (OCT-19-2011), St Compliance achieved (DEC-13-2011)
- MCL, Average - Between JUL-2011 and SEP-2011, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (SEP-20-2011), St Formal NOV issued (SEP-20-2011), St Public Notif received (OCT-19-2011), St Compliance achieved (DEC-13-2011)
- MCL, Average - Between APR-2011 and JUN-2011, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JUN-21-2011), St Formal NOV issued (JUN-21-2011), St Public Notif received (AUG-01-2011), St Compliance achieved (DEC-13-2011)
- MCL, Average - Between OCT-2009 and DEC-2009, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (FEB-09-2010), St Formal NOV issued (FEB-09-2010), St Public Notif received (MAR-09-2010), St Compliance achieved (JUN-02-2010)
- 6 other older health violations
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-01-2011, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (OCT-13-2011), St Formal NOV issued (OCT-13-2011), St Public Notif received (APR-04-2012), St Compliance achieved (AUG-14-2012)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between APR-2005 and JUN-2005, Contaminant: CARBON, TOTAL. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (OCT-25-2005), St Formal NOV issued (OCT-25-2005), St Compliance achieved (NOV-30-2005), St Public Notif received (MAY-30-2006)
(12.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 19.3% for Black residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
People in group quarters in Blackstone in 2000:
- 173 people in nursing homes
- 51 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 10 people in homes for the mentally retarded
Blackstone compared to Virginia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Blackstone (2011 data):
- Citizens Bank and Trust Company: Citizens Bank And Trust Company, Shopping Center Branch, Drive-In Branch. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $323.0 mil, Deposits: $272.0 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 11 total offices, Holding Company: Citizens Bancorp Of Virginia, Inc.
- Benchmark Community Bank: Blackstone Branch at 410 Church Street, branch established on 2003/03/07. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $416.1 mil, Deposits: $370.1 mil, headquarters in Kenbridge, VA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 13 total offices, Holding Company: Benchmark Bankshares, Inc.
- Branch Banking and Trust Company: Blackstone Main Branch at 200 South Main Street, branch established on 1965/10/01. Info updated 2010/03/29: Bank assets: $168,867.6 mil, Deposits: $127,549.5 mil, headquarters in Winston Salem, NC, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1793 total offices, Holding Company: Bb&T Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (53%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (23%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (16%)
- Wood (5%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Blackstone town (based on Nottoway County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 31.61%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Episcopal Church|
|Name||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Catholic Church||National Association of Free Will Baptists||Church of the Nazarene||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Nottoway County:||1.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|Virginia:||2.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.64 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Nottoway County:||9.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$13,210||$79,260||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||12||$46,972||$46,972||0||$0|
|Police - Other||5||$10,416||$24,998||1||$734|
|Streets and Highways||10||$20,843||$25,012||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||5||$7,874||$18,898||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||1||$1,538|
|Other and Unallocable||4||$12,717||$38,151||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||63||$186,681||$35,558||16||$8,693|
6.39% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,396 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Chesterfield County, VA||0.68% ($32,083 average AGI)|
|from Prince Edward County, VA||0.66% ($21,971)|
|from Amelia County, VA||0.49% ($25,269)|
5.87% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,320 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Blackstone:
- WKLV (1440 AM; 5 kW; BLACKSTONE, VA; Owner: DENBAR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WSVS (800 AM; 5 kW; CREWE, VA; Owner: COLONIAL BROADCASTING OF CREWE, INC.)
- WRVA (1140 AM; 50 kW; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WDZY (1290 AM; 25 kW; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VA; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WTAR (850 AM; 50 kW; NORFOLK, VA; Owner: SINCLAIR COMMUNICATIONS)
- WFTK (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; WAKE FOREST, NC; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WGGM (820 AM; 10 kW; CHESTER, VA; Owner: HOFFMAN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WRJR (670 AM; 20 kW; CLAREMONT, VA; Owner: CHESAPEAKE-PORTSMOUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WPTF (680 AM; 50 kW; RALEIGH, NC; Owner: FIRST STATE COMMUNICATIONS)
- WCKO (1110 AM; daytime; 50 kW; NORFOLK, VA; Owner: WORD BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WSHV (1370 AM; daytime; 4 kW; SOUTH HILL, VA; Owner: OLD BELT BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWGB (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; INDIAN HEAD, MD; Owner: GOOD BODY MEDIA, LLC)
- WTRU (830 AM; 50 kW; KERNERSVILLE, NC; Owner: TRUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Blackstone:
- WBBC-FM (93.5 FM; BLACKSTONE, VA; Owner: DENBAR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKJS (104.7 FM; CREWE, VA; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WSMY-FM (103.1 FM; ALBERTA, VA; Owner: MAINQUAD BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WBTJ (106.5 FM; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPEX (90.9 FM; KENBRIDGE, VA; Owner: SEAVIEW COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WMXB (103.7 FM; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WRXL (102.1 FM; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBBT-FM (107.3 FM; POWHATAN, VA; Owner: MAINQUAD, INC.)
- WFLO-FM (95.7 FM; FARMVILLE, VA; Owner: COLONIAL BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WFXQ (99.9 FM; CHASE CITY, VA; Owner: JOYNER RADIO, INC.)
- WKSK-FM (98.9 FM; SOUTH HILL, VA; Owner: OLD BELT BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Blackstone:
- WWAY (Channel 3; WILMINGTON, NC; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- WCVE-TV (Channel 23; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRLH-TV (Channel 35; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: WRLH LICENSEE, LLC)
- WTVR-TV (Channel 6; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: ELCOM OF VIRGINIA, INC.)
- WRIC-TV (Channel 8; PETERSBURG, VA; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF RICHMOND, INC.)
- WCVW (Channel 57; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKYV-LP (Channel 61; KEYSVILLE, VA; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WFMA-LP (Channel 52; FARMVILLE, VA; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 6
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 7
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 2
- Fatalities: 6
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 13
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 2
- Fatal accident count: 191
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 284
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 68
- Fatalities: 208
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 438
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 30
Blackstone fatal accident list:
Nov 9, 1991 06:12 PM, Brownst, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1
Feb 10, 1990 01:17 AM, Nmainst, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 2
Oct 8, 1990 05:59 PM, Nmainst, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Feb 19, 1985 03:11 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Dec 28, 1976 03:05 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 75 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Blackstone, VA)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 6 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Blackstone)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 8 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Blackstone)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 42
- Hazardous Condition: 8
- Good Intent Call: 3
Incident types - Blackstone
|Most common first names in Blackstone, VA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Blackstone, VA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Blackstone, VA|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Nike||2|
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2015.