|Median resident age:||39.4 years|
|Missouri median age:||33.9 years|
Zip codes: 63863.
Malden city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $55,307 (it was $42,400 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $453.
- White alone - 3,022 (70.7%)
- Black alone - 1,069 (25.0%)
- Hispanic - 82 (1.9%)
- Two or more races - 75 (1.8%)
- Asian alone - 15 (0.4%)
- American Indian alone - 11 (0.3%)
- Other race alone - 1 (0.02%)
|Where in Missouri does the South begin? (475 replies)|
|Why Is Missouri No Longer a Swing State? (186 replies)|
|Missouri...Southern or Midwestern? (1475 replies)|
|Updated Missouri map of Midwest/South/ transitional zones (92 replies)|
|You're probably from Missouri (28 replies)|
|Im in the South now! (10 replies)|
Latest news from Malden, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (20.2%), United States (14.3%), Irish (12.4%), English (6.4%), French (3.9%), Subsaharan African (1.5%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1878
Elevation: 289 feet
Land area: 6.21 square miles.
Population density: 683 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Malden:
- High school or higher: 66.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.6%
- Unemployed: 7.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Malden city:
- Never married: 26.8%
- Now married: 37.5%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 12.0%
- Divorced: 21.5%
61 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Missouri and other state lists there were 32 registered sex offenders living in Malden, Missouri as of March 05, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Malden to the number of sex offenders is 133 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $466 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $375 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Jonesboro, AR (65.4 miles , pop. 55,515).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Memphis, TN (100.6 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (384.5 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Bernie, MO (2.6 miles ), Campbell, MO (2.8 miles ), Clarkton, MO (2.9 miles ), Risco, MO (2.9 miles ), Gideon, MO (2.9 miles ), Parma, MO (3.0 miles ), Tallapoosa, MO (3.1 miles ), Holcomb, MO (3.5 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 8 buildings, average cost: $44,900
- 1998: 11 buildings, average cost: $77,300
- 1999: 4 buildings, average cost: $46,300
- 2000: 8 buildings, average cost: $57,900
- 2001: 6 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2002: 6 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2003: 5 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2004: 5 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2007: 3 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2008: 3 buildings, average cost: $100,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 36.57 N, Longitude: 89.97 W
Area code: 573
|Crime rates in Malden by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.9)||454.8||214.5||202.3||235.6||246.2||151.8||165.4||137.1||149.5||75.7||138.0||137.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Malden detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||3.27|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -392 (-7.6%).
- Manufacturing (36%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Other services, except public administration (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Transportation and warehousing (9%)
- Information (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (40%)
- Manufacturing (15%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Top executives (5%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (4%)
Average climate in Malden, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Malden-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Missouri state average. It is 88% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/21/1999, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 24.2 miles away from the Malden city center caused $1 million in damages.
On 4/22/1981, a category F4 tornado 25.0 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured 32 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Malden-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Missouri state average. It is 72% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 8.2 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 47.7 miles away from Malden center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 67.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 173.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 40.8 miles away from Malden center
On 9/29/1987 at 00:04:56, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 50.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dunklin County (10) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Tornadoes: 5, Floods: 4, Winter Storms: 4, Storms: 3, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Chuck Locke - Baseball player, Derland Moore - Football player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Malden:
Airports located in Malden:
- Malden Regional Airport (Runways: 2, Air Taxi Ops: 300, Itinerant Ops: 5,200, Local Ops: 1,300, Military Ops: 200)
- Broadwater Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Malden:
- Three Rivers Community College (about 30 miles; Poplar Bluff, MO; Full-time enrollment: 3,360)
- Dyersburg State Community College (about 49 miles; Dyersburg, TN; FT enrollment: 2,211)
- Southeast Missouri State University (about 57 miles; Cape Girardeau, MO; FT enrollment: 9,678)
- The University of Tennessee-Martin (about 64 miles; Martin, TN; FT enrollment: 7,013)
- Arkansas State University-Main Campus (about 65 miles; Jonesboro, AR; FT enrollment: 12,323)
- West Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 80 miles; Paducah, KY; FT enrollment: 4,107)
- Bethel University (about 87 miles; McKenzie, TN; FT enrollment: 5,878)
Public high school in Malden:
- Malden High School (Students: 491; Location: 505 Burkhart St; Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Malden:
- Malden Lower Elementary School (Students: 639; Location: 505 Burkhart St; Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Malden: Carver Switch (A), Malden City Hall (B), Malden Volunteer Fire Department Station 1 (C), Malden Fire Department (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Memorial Park Cemetery (1), Park Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Bootheel Youth Museum (700 North Douglass Street).
Hotel: Malden Airport Inn (2989 North Douglass Street).
Court: Malden-City - Municipal Court (201 South Madison Street).
(17.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 51.3% for Black residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 7.5% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
125 people in nursing homes in 2000
44 people in other noninstitutional group quarters in 2000
Malden compared to Missouri state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Malden (2011 data):
- First State Community Bank: Malden Branch at 1214 North Douglas, branch established on 1889/01/01. Info updated 2011/01/03: Bank assets: $1,303.2 mil, Deposits: $1,092.4 mil, headquarters in Farmington, MO, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 34 total offices, Holding Company: First State Bancshares, Inc.
- First Community Bank, Missouri: Malden Facility at 1103 N Douglas, branch established on 1903/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $259.1 mil, Deposits: $229.5 mil, headquarters in Poplar Bluff, MO, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Bootheel Bancorp, Inc.
- First National Bank: at Broadwater Road And Highway 25, North, branch established on 1965/01/18. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $186.0 mil, Deposits: $167.5 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: First Malden Bancshares, Inc.
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Malden, Missouri:
- Malden Airport Inn, PO Box 353, Malden, MO 63863 , Phone: (573) 276-5144
- Malden Airport Inn, 2989 N Douglass St, Malden, MO 63863 , Phone: (573) 276-5144
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (71%)
- Electricity (26%)
- Wood (1%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Malden city (based on Dunklin County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 53.69%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Catholic Church||Assemblies of God|
|Name||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||International Pentecostal Holiness Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dunklin County:||5.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dunklin County:||0.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||0.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dunklin County:||7.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2013)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$2,429||$29,148||1||$1,000|
|Police Protection - Officers||15||$37,390||$29,912||1||$213|
|Streets and Highways||0||$0||4||$2,874|
|Solid Waste Management||1||$3,512||$42,144||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||1||$1,771|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$2,059||$24,708||2||$1,147|
|Totals for Government||55||$157,450||$34,353||19||$12,197|
6.29% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($23,799 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Pemiscot County, MO||0.77% ($24,987 average AGI)|
|from New Madrid County, MO||0.64% ($22,688)|
|from Mississippi County, AR||0.39% ($23,769)|
6.30% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($25,115 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Malden:
- KMAL (1470 AM; daytime; 1 kW; MALDEN, MO; Owner: ZIMMER RADIO OF MID-MISSOURI, INC.)
- KOTC (830 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KENNETT, MO; Owner: EAGLE BLUFF ENTERPRISES)
- KWOC (930 AM; 5 kW; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: ZIMMER RADIO OF MID-MISSOURI, INC)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KRHW (1520 AM; 5 kW; SIKESTON, MO)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- KLCN (910 AM; 5 kW; BLYTHEVILLE, AR; Owner: SUDBURY SERVICES, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KDEX (1590 AM; daytime; 1 kW; DEXTER, MO; Owner: DEXTER BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Malden:
- KLSC (92.9 FM; MALDEN, MO; Owner: ZIMMER RADIO OF MID-MISSOURI, INC.)
- KFEB (107.5 FM; CAMPBELL, MO; Owner: EAGLE BLUFF ENTERPRISES)
- WJZN (98.9 FM; MUNFORD, TN; Owner: MEMPHIS III LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KTMO (106.5 FM; NEW MADRID, MO; Owner: POLLACK BROADCASTING CO.)
- KKLR-FM (94.5 FM; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: ZIMMER RADIO OF MID-MISSOURI, INC)
- KDEX-FM (102.3 FM; DEXTER, MO; Owner: DEXTER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KXOQ (104.3 FM; KENNETT, MO; Owner: P.M. BROADCASTING, INC)
- KBOA-FM (105.5 FM; PIGGOTT, AR; Owner: POLLACK BROADCASTING CO.)
- KLUE (103.5 FM; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: BENJAMIN STRATEMEYER)
- KJEZ (95.5 FM; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: ZIMMER RADIO OF MID-MISSOURI, INC.)
- K201DK (88.1 FM; PIGGOTT, AR; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY RADIO)
TV broadcast stations around Malden:
- K62DA (Channel 62; MALDEN, MO; Owner: NEW YORK TIMES MANAGEMENT SERVICES)
- K39CP (Channel 39; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- KPOB-TV (Channel 15; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: WSIL-TV, INC.)
- K26EC (Channel 26; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: VINCIE PRITCHARD)
- K28ED (Channel 28; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: JAMES W. PRINGLE)
- K31EB (Channel 31; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: LYN GUIN)
- K35EP (Channel 35; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: JEFFREY NAROD)
- K56FP (Channel 56; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: LLOYD JOHNSON)
- K59FE (Channel 59; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: MARIE JOHNSON)
- K61FY (Channel 61; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: MARIE JOHNSON)
- K68FL (Channel 68; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: ANA WINKLER)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 10
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 17
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 1
- Fatalities: 11
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 23
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 107
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 164
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 36
- Fatalities: 117
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 270
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 13
Total length: 8 meters (26ft)
Total average daily traffic: 2,914
Total average daily truck traffic: 291
Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic: 5,099
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Malden)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:56 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:5
- Malden Industrial Park (Lat: 36.601444 Lon: -89.984806), Type: Tank, Structure height: 37 m, Overall height: 42 m, Call Sign: WPKS456
Assigned Frequencies: 173.203 MHz
Grant Date: 06/23/1997, Expiration Date: 06/23/2002, Cancellation Date: 10/27/2002, Certifier: Richard Blagg
Registrant: Eic Systems Corportation, 101 Tower Circle Dr, Jackson, MO 63755, Fax: (573) 243-1457
- Business Hwy 25 (Lat: 36.566167 Lon: -90.981250), Type: Tower, Structure height: 18 m, Call Sign: WPGK207
Assigned Frequencies: 157.740 MHz
Grant Date: 12/27/1999, Expiration Date: 01/30/2005, Cancellation Date: 04/02/2005
Registrant: Lucy Lee Hospital, 806 N Douglas, Malden, MO 63863, Phone: (314) 276-3873
- Lat: 36.556389 Lon: -90.062778, Call Sign: WPNU279
Assigned Frequencies: 451.512 MHz, 451.712 MHz, 451.762 MHz, 451.887 MHz, 451.937 MHz, 456.512 MHz, 456.712 MHz, 456.762 MHz, 456.887 MHz, 456.937 MHz
Grant Date: 06/23/2004, Expiration Date: 06/17/2014, Certifier: Elmer Battles
Registrant: Battles Communications, Inc., 1101 W Business Hwy 60, Dexter, MO 63841, Phone: (573) 624-8212, Fax: (573) 624-1983, Email:
- 1106a N Douglas (Lat: 36.571111 Lon: -89.970556), Call Sign: WPWY717
Assigned Frequencies: 469.212 MHz, 469.037 MHz, 469.237 MHz, 469.062 MHz, 469.262 MHz, 469.087 MHz, 469.287 MHz, 469.112 MHz, 469.312 MHz, 469.137 MHz... (+21 more)
Grant Date: 02/11/2003, Expiration Date: 02/11/2013, Cancellation Date: 04/13/2013, Certifier: Lynn Petzoldt
Registrant: Panasonic Information Systems Company, 1707 N Randall Road E1-D9, Elgin, IL 60123-7847, Phone: (847) 468-5318, Fax: (847) 468-5331, Email:
- 167 Mitchell Street (Lat: 36.600611 Lon: -89.992306), Type: Mast, Structure height: 4.8 m, Overall height: 5.4 m, Call Sign: WPXB280, Licensee ID: L00015583
Assigned Frequencies: 460.487 MHz
Grant Date: 11/29/2012, Expiration Date: 02/25/2023, Certifier: Henry Hungerbeeler
Registrant: State Of (Department Of Transportation) Missouri, 105 W Capitol Ave, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Phone: (573) 751-2551, Fax: (573) 526-0120, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:14 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Malden)
FAA Registered Aircraft:20 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Malden)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 71
- Hazardous Condition: 1
- Service Call: 1
Incident types - Malden
|Most common first names in Malden, MO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Malden, MO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Malden, MO|
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2015.