|Median resident age:||38.9 years|
|Tennessee median age:||39.3 years|
Zip codes: 38358.
Milan city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $87,727 (it was $67,400 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $571.
- White alone - 5,666 (72.2%)
- Black alone - 1,782 (22.7%)
- Hispanic - 200 (2.5%)
- Two or more races - 144 (1.8%)
- Asian alone - 28 (0.4%)
- American Indian alone - 25 (0.3%)
- Other race alone - 6 (0.08%)
|Is Jackson, Tennessee really that beatiful? (69 replies)|
|Milan (1 reply)|
|Why is TN property tax so high? (158 replies)|
|Looking for home and wooded acreage around Jackson (18 replies)|
|Public School around Jackson Tn? (13 replies)|
|Looking for a small safe town in Tennessee to raise our kids (11 replies)|
Latest news from Milan, TN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (24.5%), English (11.4%), Irish (7.4%), German (7.4%), Scottish (3.0%), Scotch-Irish (2.0%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1866
Elevation: 420 feet
Land area: 8.05 square miles.
Population density: 967 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Milan:
- High school or higher: 86.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.8%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Milan city:
- Never married: 24.5%
- Now married: 45.5%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 18.8%
83 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 19 registered sex offenders living in Milan, Tennessee as of May 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Milan to the number of sex offenders is 411 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $689 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $898 (1.0%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Jackson, TN (19.9 miles , pop. 59,643).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Memphis, TN (87.8 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (413.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Gibson, TN (2.4 miles ), Atwood, TN (2.6 miles ), Medina, TN (2.8 miles ), Trezevant, TN (3.2 miles ), Cedar Grove, TN (3.2 miles ), Humboldt, TN (3.3 miles ), Three Way, TN (3.3 miles ), Trenton, TN (3.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 11 buildings, average cost: $88,600
- 1998: 18 buildings, average cost: $65,800
- 1999: 40 buildings, average cost: $66,000
- 2000: 29 buildings, average cost: $86,700
- 2001: 17 buildings, average cost: $92,700
- 2002: 16 buildings, average cost: $77,000
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $126,800
- 2004: 23 buildings, average cost: $108,400
- 2005: 52 buildings, average cost: $104,900
- 2006: 31 buildings, average cost: $118,800
- 2007: 25 buildings, average cost: $113,700
- 2008: 5 buildings, average cost: $173,600
- 2009: 41 buildings, average cost: $55,300
- 2010: 11 buildings, average cost: $104,800
- 2011: 14 buildings, average cost: $118,600
- 2012: 9 buildings, average cost: $101,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 35.92 N, Longitude: 88.76 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,730 (+21.7%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,348 (46.2%)
Area code: 731
|Crime rates in Milan by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.9)||326.1||364.7||284.6||329.5||421.7||401.3||364.2||351.4||350.9||381.5||405.4||351.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Milan detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.51|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +198 (+2.7%).
- Manufacturing (37%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Construction (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (23%)
- Retail trade (23%)
- Manufacturing (15%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (11%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (4%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (11%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (4%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (4%)
Average climate in Milan, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Milan-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 92% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/7/1971, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 10.7 miles away from the Milan city center killed 3 people and injured 137 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 2/5/2008, a category F4 tornado 17.3 miles away from the city center injured 51 people and caused $100 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Milan-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 74.4 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 90.1 miles away from Milan center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 96.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 181.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 56.9 miles away from Milan center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 153.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Gibson County (15) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 12, Floods: 11, Tornadoes: 8, Winds: 2, Flash Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Ben Cantwell - Baseball player, Justin Cagle - College basketball player (Tenn. Martin Skyhawks), Earnest Fields - Football player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Milan:
Heliports located in Milan:
College/University in Milan:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Milan:
- Union University (about 18 miles; Jackson, TN; Full-time enrollment: 4,051)
- Jackson State Community College (about 19 miles; Jackson, TN; FT enrollment: 2,958)
- Bethel University (about 21 miles; McKenzie, TN; FT enrollment: 5,878)
- The University of Tennessee-Martin (about 30 miles; Martin, TN; FT enrollment: 7,013)
- Dyersburg State Community College (about 37 miles; Dyersburg, TN; FT enrollment: 2,211)
- Murray State University (about 54 miles; Murray, KY; FT enrollment: 8,930)
- West Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 79 miles; Paducah, KY; FT enrollment: 4,107)
Public high school in Milan:
- Milan High School (Students: 654; Location: 7060 Van Hook East Street; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Milan:
Notable locations in Milan: University of Tennessee Agricultural Experimental Farm (A), Milan Country Club (B), Milan Fire Department (C), Milan City Hall (D), Gibson County Memorial Library (E), Milan Fire Department Station 2 (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Milan include: Main Street Church of Christ (A), New Holy Temple Church of God in Christ (B), Northside Baptist Church (C), Phillips Chapel Church (D), Saint Pauls Baptist Church (E), Tabernacle Living God Church (F), Temple Church (G), Salem Church (H), Milan First Baptist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Milan Cemetery (1), Cloverdale Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Milan include: Trostel Field (1), Rotary Field (2), Milan City Park (3), Johnnie Hall Stadium (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Pizza Inn (6088 S 1st Street).
Hotels: Budget Inn (1073 West Van Hook Street), Coastal Vacations (2004 Westwood Manor).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 43.1. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2011 was 15.5. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 19.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.80. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.5 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Milan that have no violations reported:
- MILAN WATER DEPT (Population served: 10,236, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- MILAN ARSENAL #1 (Population served: 1,000, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(20.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 65.0% for Black residents, 30.8% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 93.8% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
People in group quarters in Milan in 2000:
- 275 people in nursing homes
- 21 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 9 people in homes for the mentally retarded
Milan compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
Banks with branches in Milan (2011 data):
- Regions Bank: Milan Branch at 2052 South Main Street, branch established on 1889/01/01. Info updated 2011/02/24: Bank assets: $123,368.2 mil, Deposits: $98,301.3 mil, headquarters in Birmingham, AL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1778 total offices, Holding Company: Regions Financial Corporation
- The Bank of Milan: The Bank Of Milan at 2011 East Van Hook Street, branch established on 1993/11/12. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $63.8 mil, Deposits: $56.1 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Hometown Bancorp, Inc.
- BancorpSouth Bank: Milan Branch at 1026 College Street, branch established on 1886/01/01. Info updated 2007/07/18: Bank assets: $12,990.3 mil, Deposits: $10,863.8 mil, headquarters in Tupelo, MS, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 271 total offices, Holding Company: Bancorpsouth, Inc.
- Carroll Bank and Trust: Milan Branch at 4105 South First Street, branch established on 2008/05/05. Info updated 2008/12/04: Bank assets: $265.0 mil, Deposits: $235.7 mil, headquarters in Huntingdon, TN, positive income, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Carroll Financial Services, Inc.
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Milan, Tennessee:
- Budget Inn, 1073 W Van Hook St, Milan, TN 38358 , Phone: (731) 686-7575, Fax: (731) 686-8585
- Hampton Inn Milan, TN, 15315 S 1st St, Milan, TN 38358 , Phone: (731) 686-8788, Fax: (731) 686-8789
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (55%)
- Electricity (42%)
- Wood (1%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Milan city (based on Gibson County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 69.27%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Cumberland Presbyterian Church||Assemblies of God|
|Name||Non-Charismatic Churches Independent||Catholic Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Gibson County:||3.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Gibson County:||0.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Gibson County:||6.39 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$13,061||$52,244||8||$2,400|
|Judicial and Legal||5||$13,668||$32,803||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||28||$88,071||$37,745||1||$1,063|
|Streets and Highways||18||$47,581||$31,721||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||3||$8,132||$32,528||2||$1,652|
|Other and Unallocable||10||$34,196||$41,035||1||$1,020|
|Totals for Government||125||$424,995||$40,800||14||$9,129|
5.78% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,098 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Madison County, TN||1.55% ($32,760 average AGI)|
|from Carroll County, TN||0.38% ($34,500)|
|from Crockett County, TN||0.30% ($24,472)|
5.37% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,796 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Milan:
- WDXI (1310 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, TN; Owner: LIBERTY RADIO II, INC.)
- WTJS (1390 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- WHMT (1190 AM; daytime; 0 kW; HUMBOLDT, TN; Owner: BOYD ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WMUF (1000 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PARIS, TN; Owner: BENTON-WEATHERFORD B/CTING OF TN,INC)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Milan:
- WYNU (92.3 FM; MILAN, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWYN (106.9 FM; MCKENZIE, TN; Owner: RAINBOW MEDIA, INC.)
- W256AD (99.1 FM; MILAN, TN; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WLSZ (105.3 FM; HUMBOLDT, TN; Owner: BOYD ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WTKB-FM (93.7 FM; ATWOOD, TN; Owner: GIBSON COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WTNV (104.1 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WIGH (88.7 FM; LEXINGTON, TN; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WZDQ (102.3 FM; HUMBOLDT, TN; Owner: THOMAS RADIO, LLC)
- WKNP (90.1 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MID-SOUTH PUBLIC COMMUNICTNS FOUNDTN)
- WTNE-FM (97.7 FM; TRENTON, TN; Owner: GIBSON COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNWS-FM (101.5 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: RADIOCORP OF JACKSON, INC.)
- WMXX-FM (103.1 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: GERALD W. HUNT)
- WWGM (93.1 FM; ALAMO, TN; Owner: GRACE BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WVHR (100.9 FM; HUNTINGDON, TN; Owner: MILAN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WAJJ (89.3 FM; MCKENZIE, TN; Owner: HEARTLAND MINSTRIES, INC.)
- WBFG (96.5 FM; PARKER'S CROSSROADS, TN; Owner: CROSSROADS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WLSQ-FM (94.3 FM; DYER, TN; Owner: F. DARRELL BOYD)
- WCDZ (95.1 FM; DRESDEN, TN; Owner: THUNDERBOLT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
TV broadcast stations around Milan:
- WBBJ-TV (Channel 7; JACKSON, TN; Owner: TENNESSEE BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- W26CJ (Channel 26; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WJTE-LP (Channel 19; JACKSON, TN; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WJKT (Channel 16; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- W22BR (Channel 22; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W52CZ (Channel 52; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W64BZ (Channel 64; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WLJT (Channel 11; LEXINGTON, TN; Owner: WEST TENNESSEE PUBLIC TV COUNCIL, INC)
- W35AH (Channel 35; JACKSON, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W25BY (Channel 25; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W38BY (Channel 38; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W54BU (Channel 54; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 24
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 37
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 2
- Fatalities: 25
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 54
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 3
- Fatal accident count: 149
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 235
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 52
- Fatalities: 164
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 379
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 14
Total length: 22 meters (72ft)
Total costs: $5,294,000
Total average daily traffic: 30,870
Total average daily truck traffic: 2,011
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 29 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Milan, TN)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 35 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Milan)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 1 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Milan)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 13 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 66
- Hazardous Condition: 21
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Milan
|Most common first names in Milan, TN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Milan, TN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Milan, TN|
|AT&T||1||Papa John's Pizza||1|
Milan on our top lists:
- #88 on the list of "Top 100 cities with the largest percentage of females (pop. 5,000+)"
Total of 19 patent applications in 2008-2015.