|Median resident age:||39.7 years|
|Tennessee median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 38241
Palmersville CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $77,084 (it was $58,300 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,491 (97.9%)
- Two or more races - 16 (1.1%)
- Hispanic - 11 (0.7%)
- American Indian alone - 4 (0.3%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.07%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 450 feet
Land area: 79.5 square miles.
Population density: 18 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Palmersville:
- High school or higher: 62.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.0%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Palmersville CCD:
- Never married: 17.5%
- Now married: 67.2%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 4.1%
- Divorced: 11.1%
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Palmersville, Tennessee as of February 26, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Palmersville to the number of sex offenders is 483 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Palmersville CCD:||0.5% ($268)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Jackson, TN (53.3 miles , pop. 59,643).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Metropolitan Government, TN (103.6 miles , pop. 569,891).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (380.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Cottage Grove, TN (2.6 miles) , Chestnut Glade-Dukedom, TN (2.8 miles ), Dresden, TN (2.9 miles ), Gleason, TN (3.4 miles ), Sedalia, KY (3.7 miles ), Martin, TN (3.8 miles ), Puryear, TN (3.9 miles ), Henry, TN (4.0 miles ).
Latitude: 36.38 N, Longitude: 88.60 W
Area code: 731
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Chemicals (8%)
- Truck transportation (8%)
- Plastics and rubber products (7%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (6%)
- Metal and metal products (6%)
- Food (6%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Printing and related support activities (13%)
- Health care (10%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (5%)
- Gasoline stations (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (18%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (12%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (8%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (6%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (11%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (11%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (9%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Printing workers (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
Average climate in Palmersville, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Palmersville-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 81% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/4/1964, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 23.5 miles away from the Palmersville place center killed 3 people and injured 24 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/7/1971, a category F4 tornado 23.8 miles away from the place center killed 3 people and injured 137 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Palmersville-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 148.4 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 69.1 miles away from Palmersville center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 74.9 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 109.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 119.9 miles away from Palmersville center
On 9/29/1987 at 00:04:56, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 46.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Weakley County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 4, Tornadoes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Flash Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Ned McWherter - Governor of Tennessee & Speaker of the Tennessee House of Representatives, Pauline LaFon Gore - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers near Palmersville:
- HILLVIEW COMMUNITY LIVING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; DRESDEN, TN)
- BEHAVIOR HEALTHCARE CENTER AT MARTIN (Hospital, about 16 miles away; MARTIN, TN)
- VAN AYER MANOR (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; MARTIN, TN)
- VOLUNTEER COMMUNITY HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 16 miles away; MARTIN, TN)
- CAREALL (Home Health Center, about 16 miles away; MARTIN, TN)
- UNIVERSITY HOME HEALTH AND HOSPICE (Hospital, about 16 miles away; MARTIN, TN)
- BENCHMARK HEALTHCARE OF PURYEAR INC (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; PURYEAR, TN)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Palmersville:
- The University of Tennessee-Martin (about 15 miles; Martin, TN; Full-time enrollment: 7,013)
- Bethel University (about 18 miles; McKenzie, TN; FT enrollment: 5,878)
- Murray State University (about 23 miles; Murray, KY; FT enrollment: 8,930)
- West Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 47 miles; Paducah, KY; FT enrollment: 4,107)
- Dyersburg State Community College (about 50 miles; Dyersburg, TN; FT enrollment: 2,211)
- Union University (about 51 miles; Jackson, TN; FT enrollment: 4,051)
- Jackson State Community College (about 52 miles; Jackson, TN; FT enrollment: 2,958)
Notable locations in Palmersville: Eagle Hill Community Center (A), Ore Springs / Como Volunteer Fire Department Station 2 (B), Latham - Dukedom Volunteer Fire Department (C), Palmersville Community Volunteer Fire Department (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Palmersville include: Little Zion Church (A), Unity Church (B), Wesleys Chapel (C), Hickory Grove Church (D), Hodges Chapel (E), Blooming Grove Church (F), Bible Union Church of Christ (G), Calvary Missionary Baptist Church (H), Palmersville Missionary Baptist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Stow Cemetery (1), Thompson Cemetery (2), Kennedy Cemetery (3), Winstead Cemetery (4), Lea Harris Cemetery (5), Lemon Springs Cemetery (6), Mahan Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Peelers Pond (A), Garrett Lake (B), Thompson Creek Number Eight Lake (C), Cypress Creek Lake Number Six (D), Cypress Creek Lake Number Four (E), Cypress Creek Number Five Lake (F), Cypress Creek Number Three Lake (G), Cypress Creek Number Two Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Lea Branch (A), Kennedy Branch (B), Cypress Creek Branch (C), Cupp Branch (D), Claypit Branch (E), Cane Creek (F), Brundige Branch (G), Powell Creek (H), Simpson Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.7% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Palmersville compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (55%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (29%)
- Wood (10%)
- Utility gas (3%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Palmersville CCD (based on Weakley County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 63.36%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Cumberland Presbyterian Church||LDS (Mormon) Church|
|Name||Assemblies of God||Catholic Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Weakley County:||1.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Weakley County:||5.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
5.79% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,583 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Obion County, TN||1.11% ($29,645 average AGI)|
|from Carroll County, TN||0.44% ($24,771)|
|from Henry County, TN||0.36% ($21,872)|
6.23% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,247 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Palmersville:
- WMUF (1000 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PARIS, TN; Owner: BENTON-WEATHERFORD B/CTING OF TN,INC)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WRKY (1130 AM; 3 kW; MURRAY, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WTPR (710 AM; daytime; 1 kW; PARIS, TN; Owner: WENK BROADCAST GROUP, INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WLAC (1510 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPAD (1560 AM; 10 kW; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WCBL (1290 AM; 5 kW; BENTON, KY; Owner: JIM W. FREELAND)
Strongest FM radio stations in Palmersville:
- WCDZ (95.1 FM; DRESDEN, TN; Owner: THUNDERBOLT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFGE (103.7 FM; MURRAY, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WAKQ (105.5 FM; PARIS, TN; Owner: WENK BROADCAST GROUP, INC.)
- WCMT-FM (101.7 FM; MARTIN, TN; Owner: THUNDERBOLT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKMS-FM (91.3 FM; MURRAY, KY; Owner: MURRAY STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WYNU (92.3 FM; MILAN, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWYN (106.9 FM; MCKENZIE, TN; Owner: RAINBOW MEDIA, INC.)
- WLZK (94.1 FM; PARIS, TN; Owner: BENTON-WEATHERFORD BRD/CST INC OF TN)
- WMUF-FM (104.7 FM; HENRY, TN; Owner: BENTON WEATHERFORD B/C INC OF TN)
- WAJJ (89.3 FM; MCKENZIE, TN; Owner: HEARTLAND MINSTRIES, INC.)
- WKBG (102.1 FM; CLINTON, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WLLE (94.7 FM; MAYFIELD, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS KY, LLC)
- WYVY (104.9 FM; UNION CITY, TN; Owner: TWIN STATES BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWKF (99.3 FM; FULTON, KY; Owner: WENK OF UNION CITY, INC.)
- WTKB-FM (93.7 FM; ATWOOD, TN; Owner: GIBSON COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Palmersville:
- WKMU (Channel 21; MURRAY, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WQTV-LP (Channel 24; MURRAY, KY; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WDKA (Channel 49; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WDKA ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WUWT-CA (Channel 9; UNION CITY, TN; Owner: JOSEPH H. HARPOLE, SR.)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: KD4ASA, Licensee ID: L00326913
Grant Date: 03/24/2011, Expiration Date: 05/14/2021, Certifier: Susie M Bennett
Registrant: Susie M Bennett, 5958 Hwy 89, Palmersville, TN 38241
- Call Sign: N4ABU, Licensee ID: L00306664
Grant Date: 04/25/2011, Expiration Date: 07/02/2021
Registrant: Bobby L Bennett Jr, 5958 Hwy 89, Palmersville, TN 38241
- Call Sign: N9QXH, Licensee ID: L00783858
Grant Date: 12/20/2003, Expiration Date: 12/20/2013
Registrant: Michelle P Douglas, 160 Powell Levee Road, Palmersville, TN 38241
- Call Sign: KG4MJO, Licensee ID: L00335649
Grant Date: 03/14/2001, Expiration Date: 03/14/2011, Cancellation Date: 05/15/2004, Certifier: Bobby L Bennett Jr
Registrant: Reelfoot Amateur Radio Club, 5958 Hwy 89, Palmersville, TN 38241
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 18
- Hazardous Condition: 3
Incident types - Palmersville