Pana: SCHUYLER BRIDGE AT KITCHELL PARK
Pana: The church of Christ in Pana
Pana: An unusual looking church in the run-down town of Pana (pron: PAY-nuh).
Pana: Pana Schools
Pana: Pana, Il
Pana: Carol Evaul
Pana: Pana street
Pana: Mural in Pana
Pana: Street in Pana
Pana: Pana History Museum
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||39.1 years|
|Illinois median age:||37.2 years|
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $17,063 (it was $14,897 in 2000)
Pana city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $61,681 (it was $46,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $101,493; Detached houses: $105,229; Townhouses or other attached units: $67,178; In 2-unit structures: $49,353; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $106,654; Mobile homes: $42,034
Median gross rent in 2013: $501.
Races in Pana, IL (2010)
- 5,71697.8%White alone
- 390.7%Two or more races
- 360.6%Asian alone
- 50.09%Black alone
- 20.03%American Indian alone
- 10.02%Other race alone
|how happy are you in Illinois? (87 replies)|
|Why arent more people looking at Momence,Bradley,Manteno,Grant Park (36 replies)|
|What are some strange names for illinois towns? (67 replies)|
|Moving from the Desert to Peoria! (8 replies)|
|Moving to Springfield: I'm a little disappointed (15 replies)|
|Pana ill (1 reply)|
Latest news from Pana, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (25.2%), United States (15.7%), Irish (11.8%), English (9.6%), Italian (3.5%), Polish (2.6%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 07/19/1877
Elevation: 700 feet
Land area: 2.67 square miles.
Population density: 2,145 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Pana:
- High school or higher: 83.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 6.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.3%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pana city:
- Never married: 18.9%
- Now married: 48.2%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 12.7%
- Divorced: 17.3%
33 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 10 registered sex offenders living in Pana, Illinois as of July 27, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Pana to the number of sex offenders is 579 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,253 (1.9%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $1,134 (1.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Decatur, IL (32.9 miles , pop. 81,860).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Louis, MO (81.6 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (185.0 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Tower Hill, IL (2.5 miles ), Oconee, IL (2.7 miles ), Ohlman, IL (2.8 miles) , Owaneco, IL (3.0 miles ), Assumption, IL (3.1 miles ), Wenonah, IL (3.5 miles) , Nokomis, IL (3.5 miles ), Herrick, IL (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 10 buildings, average cost: $48,100
- 1998: 9 buildings, average cost: $56,500
- 1999: 9 buildings, average cost: $56,700
- 2000: 8 buildings, average cost: $54,300
- 2001: 5 buildings, average cost: $125,800
- 2002: 32 buildings, average cost: $83,000
- 2003: 21 buildings, average cost: $135,500
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $108,000
- 2005: 4 buildings, average cost: $63,800
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $64,000
- 2007: 7 buildings, average cost: $99,700
- 2008: 7 buildings, average cost: $30,000
- 2009: 5 buildings, average cost: $65,800
- 2010: 4 buildings, average cost: $92,500
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $90,000
- 2012: 4 buildings, average cost: $72,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 39.39 N, Longitude: 89.08 W
Area code: 217
|Crime rates in Pana by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||192.6||178.5||181.1||146.8||188.5||154.6||141.7||149.5||175.8||121.0||141.2||117.4||174.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Pana detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.53|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -389 (-6.5%).
- Manufacturing (24%)
- Retail trade (18%)
- Construction (11%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Wholesale trade (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (44%)
- Retail trade (17%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Manufacturing (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (3%)
- Finance and insurance (2%)
- Production occupations (19%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (12%)
- Material moving occupations (12%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (10%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Transportation occupations (8%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (7%)
- Sales and related occupations (18%)
- Healthcare support occupations (17%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (15%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (9%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Personal care and service occupations (8%)
- Health technologists and technicians (7%)
Average climate in Pana, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Pana-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 82% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/20/1976, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 32.3 miles away from the Pana city center injured 18 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 6/14/1957, a category F4 tornado 39.1 miles away from the city center killed 2 people and injured 50 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Pana-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 91.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 75.2 miles away from Pana center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 119.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 91.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 76.4 miles away from Pana center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 155.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Christian County (5) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Garet Garrett - Journalist, Charles Henderson (politician) - Politician, Dick Klein (American football) - Football player, Herb Siegert - Athlete and Marine, Jake Sinclair - College basketball player (Eastern Illinois Panthers), Nin Alexander - Baseball player, Warren Amling - Collegiate athlete.
Hospitals and medical centers in Pana:
Heliports located in Pana:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pana:
- Millikin University (about 33 miles; Decatur, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,419)
- Richland Community College (about 36 miles; Decatur, IL; FT enrollment: 2,434)
- Lincoln Land Community College (about 37 miles; Springfield, IL; FT enrollment: 5,460)
- University of Illinois at Springfield (about 38 miles; Springfield, IL; FT enrollment: 3,748)
- Lake Land College (about 38 miles; Mattoon, IL; FT enrollment: 7,499)
- Eastern Illinois University (about 49 miles; Charleston, IL; FT enrollment: 9,414)
- Kaskaskia College (about 58 miles; Centralia, IL; FT enrollment: 3,867)
Public high school in Pana:
- Pana Senior High School (Location: PO Box 377; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Pana:
Private elementary/middle school in Pana:
Notable locations in Pana: Pana City Hall (A), Carnegie-Schuyler Library (B), Das Pana Ambulance Service (C), Pana Fire Department (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Pana include: Bible Baptist Church (A), Calvary Baptist Church (B), The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (C), First Assembly of God Church (D), First Baptist Church (E), First Church of the Nazarene (F), First General Baptist Church (G), First United Methodist Church (H), First United Presbyterian Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Pana include: Kitchell Park (1), Wilburn Park (2), Kehias Park (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
(27.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 84.6% for Black residents, 48.5% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
13 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
233 people in nursing homes in 2000
14 people in homes for the mentally retarded in 2000
Pana compared to Illinois state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Pana (2011 data):
- Peoples Bank & Trust: at Third And Locust Streets, branch established on 1954/05/01; South Poplar Street Branch at 211 South Poplar Street, branch established on 1998/07/13. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $297.5 mil, Deposits: $246.8 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 7 total offices, Holding Company: People First Bancshares, Inc.
- First National Bank of Pana: First National Bank Of Pana at 306 South Locust Street, branch established on 1930/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $127.0 mil, Deposits: $109.8 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 3 total offices
- National Bank: Pana Branch at 302 West Second Street, branch established on 1998/04/27. Info updated 2011/05/11: Bank assets: $310.4 mil, Deposits: $281.3 mil, headquarters in Hillsboro, IL, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 12 total offices, Holding Company: Country Bancorp, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (79%)
- Electricity (17%)
- Wood (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Pana city (based on Christian County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Christian County:||2.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Christian County:||4.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||14||$16,008|
|Police Protection - Officers||9||$38,805||$51,740||0||$0|
|Police - Other||4||$13,850||$41,550||2||$2,867|
|Streets and Highways||6||$21,716||$43,432||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$3,479||$41,748||0||$0|
|Housing and Community Development(Local)||1||$3,173||$38,076||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||2||$2,398||$14,388||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||36||$133,962||$44,654||21||$22,000|
Pana government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Parks & Recreation: $273,000 ($47.64)
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $699,000 ($121.97)
Police Protection: $678,000 ($118.30)
General - Other: $590,000 ($102.95)
Regular Highways: $433,000 ($75.55)
Financial Administration: $356,000 ($62.12)
Parks & Recreation: $335,000 ($58.45)
Sewerage: $326,000 ($56.88)
General Public Buildings: $126,000 ($21.99)
Housing & Community Development: $29,000 ($5.06)
Fire Protection: $26,000 ($4.54)
- Employee Retirement - Total Cash & Deposits: $2,020,000 ($352.47)
Benefit Payments: $123,000 ($21.46)
- General - Interest on Debt: $85,000 ($14.83)
- Other Capital Outlay - Water Utilities: $55,000 ($9.60)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,532,000 ($267.32)
Pana government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $311,000 ($54.27)
- Employee Retirement - Interest Revenue: $91,000 ($15.88)
Local Employee Contribution: $27,000 ($4.71)
From Local Government: $27,000 ($4.71)
- Federal Intergovernmental - Housing & Community Development: $29,000 ($5.06)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $10,000 ($1.74)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $211,000 ($36.82)
Interest Earnings: $51,000 ($8.90)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $798,000 ($139.24)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $1,098,000 ($191.59)
All Other: $351,000 ($61.25)
Highways: $159,000 ($27.74)
Public Welfare: $7,000 ($1.22)
- Tax - Property: $594,000 ($103.65)
NEC: $158,000 ($27.57)
Pana government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $1,395,000 ($243.41)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $1,270,000 ($221.60)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $125,000 ($21.81)
Pana government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $1,998,000 ($348.63)
4.48% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,196 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Sangamon County, IL||1.17% ($32,861 average AGI)|
|from Shelby County, IL||0.49% ($30,379)|
|from Macon County, IL||0.41% ($42,607)|
4.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,842 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Pana:
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WINU (870 AM; daytime; 1 kW; SHELBYVILLE, IL)
- WIHM (1410 AM; 1 kW; TAYLORVILLE, IL; Owner: COVENANT NETWORK)
- WLBH (1170 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MATTOON, IL; Owner: MATTOON BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
- WILY (1210 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CENTRALIA, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WILL (580 AM; 5 kW; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BOARD OF TRUSTEES)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Pana:
- WRAN (98.3 FM; TOWER HILL, IL; Owner: KASKASKIA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTIM-FM (97.3 FM; TAYLORVILLE, IL; Owner: MILLER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WMKR (94.3 FM; PANA, IL; Owner: MILLER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WDZQ (95.1 FM; DECATUR, IL; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WTRH (93.3 FM; RAMSEY, IL; Owner: COUNTRYSIDE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJLY (88.3 FM; RAMSEY, IL; Owner: COUNTRYSIDE BROADCASTING)
- WEJT (105.1 FM; SHELBYVILLE, IL; Owner: THE CROMWELL GROUP, INC. OF ILLINOIS)
- W205BC (88.9 FM; TAYLORVILLE, IL; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- W242AE (96.3 FM; TAYLORVILLE, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS BIBLE INSTITUTE, INC.)
- WXAJ (99.7 FM; HILLSBORO, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WZNX (106.7 FM; SULLIVAN, IL; Owner: WSHY, INC.)
- WZUS (100.9 FM; MACON, IL; Owner: THE CROMWELL GROUP, INC. OF ILLINOIS)
- WXFM-FM (99.3 FM; MOUNT ZION, IL; Owner: TECHNICOM, INC.)
- WQLZ (92.7 FM; TAYLORVILLE, IL; Owner: LONG NINE, INC.)
- WSMI-FM (106.1 FM; LITCHFIELD, IL; Owner: TALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Pana:
- WRSP-TV (Channel 55; SPRINGFIELD, IL; Owner: SPRINGFIELD BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WICS (Channel 20; SPRINGFIELD, IL; Owner: WICS LICENSEE, LLC)
- WBUI (Channel 23; DECATUR, IL; Owner: ACME TV LICENSES OF ILLINOIS, LLC)
- WAND (Channel 17; DECATUR, IL; Owner: WAND(TV) PARTNERSHIP)
- W29BG (Channel 29; DECATUR, IL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 2m7ftTotal length
- 11,350Total average daily traffic
- 1,557Total average daily truck traffic
- 11,373Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 33 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Pana, IL)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 11 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 23 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Pana)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 13 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Pana)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 39
- Hazardous Condition: 11
Incident types - Pana
|Most common first names in Pana, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Pana, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Pana, IL|
Pana on our top lists:
- #3 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Paper (population 5,000+)"
- #3 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Secondary school teachers (population 5,000+)"
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Protective service occupations: (population 5,000+)"
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most White Non-Hispanic residents (pop 5,000+)"
- #7 on the list of "Top 100 least racially diverse cities (pop. 5,000+)"
- #13 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Cashiers (population 5,000+)"
- #25 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (population 5,000+)"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in nursing homes (population 5,000+)"
- #31 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Architecture and engineering occupations: (population 5,000+)"
- #93 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest wind speed differences during a year"
- #99 on the list of "Top 100 cities with lowest ratio of median house value to median household income (pop. 5,000+)"
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2015.