Phelps: Wintery day looking towards North Twin Lake
Phelps: First stop for gas before out for the day
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||55.4 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54554.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $25,909 (it was $17,337 in 2000)
Phelps town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $173,234 (it was $103,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $288,410; Detached houses: $305,409; Townhouses or other attached units: $238,280; In 2-unit structures: $243,246; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $180,912; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $338,436; Mobile homes: $58,212
Races in Phelps, WI (2010)
- 1,15696.3%White alone
- 201.7%American Indian alone
- 60.5%Two or more races
- 40.3%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Gender inequality today (or when higher earnings do not necessarily mean you do less laundry at home) Aug 23
- Professional services jobs are soaring, making it the fastest-growing industry Aug 21
- Internetification today Aug 19
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
|Is Wisconsin really THAT conservative? (85 replies)|
|looking to retire in eagle river or surrounding areas (34 replies)|
|Images of Wisconsin (1635 replies)|
|Where to retire flyfishing in Wisconsin? (9 replies)|
|Anyone Ever Visited "Summerwind?" (23 replies)|
|Vilas County (17 replies)|
Latest news from Phelps, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (41.1%), Irish (11.0%), Polish (11.0%), English (9.6%), Swedish (9.6%), Norwegian (4.0%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1770 feet
Land area: 94.9 square miles.
Population density: 13 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Phelps:
- High school or higher: 82.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.9%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 19.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Phelps town:
- Never married: 16.6%
- Now married: 66.0%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 8.6%
16 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Wisconsin and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Phelps, Wisconsin as of August 23, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Phelps to the number of sex offenders is 469 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Phelps town:||1.4% ($1,426)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Green Bay, WI (119.1 miles , pop. 102,313).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Madison, WI (207.0 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (300.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Conover, WI (3.1 miles ), Lincoln, WI (3.5 miles ), Eagle River, WI (3.5 miles ), Alvin, WI (3.8 miles) , Watersmeet, MI (3.9 miles ), Land O'Lakes, WI (3.9 miles ), Cloverland, WI (4.0 miles ), Hiles, WI (4.1 miles ).
Latitude: 46.06 N, Longitude: 89.09 W
Area code: 715
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (33%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (4%)
- Truck transportation (3%)
- Educational services (3%)
- Health care (30%)
- Accommodation and food services (13%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Construction (3%)
- Carpenters (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Pipelayers, plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Construction laborers (4%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
Average climate in Phelps, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Phelps-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 64% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/25/1950, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 29.3 miles away from the Phelps town center killed 2 people and injured 12 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/27/1984, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 19.6 miles away from the town center killed one person and injured 8 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Phelps-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 97% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 335.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 318.3 miles away from Phelps center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 347.8 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 501.3 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 536.6 miles away from Phelps center
On 7/12/1986 at 08:19:37, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 449.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Vilas County (4) is a lot smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 2, Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Phelps:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Phelps:
- Michigan Technological University (about 78 miles; Houghton, MI; Full-time enrollment: 6,078)
- Northcentral Technical College (about 80 miles; Wausau, WI; FT enrollment: 3,356)
- Northern Michigan University (about 88 miles; Marquette, MI; FT enrollment: 8,258)
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (about 109 miles; Stevens Point, WI; FT enrollment: 9,089)
- Northeast Wisconsin Technical College (about 117 miles; Green Bay, WI; FT enrollment: 6,069)
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay (about 121 miles; Green Bay, WI; FT enrollment: 5,415)
- Mid-State Technical College (about 121 miles; Wisconsin Rapids, WI; FT enrollment: 2,128)
Public high school in Phelps:
- PHELPS HIGH (Students: 34, Location: 4451 OLD SCHOOL RD, Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Phelps:
- PHELPS ELEMENTARY (Students: 93, Location: 4451 OLD SCHOOL RD, Grades: PK-8)
Notable locations in Phelps: Spectacle Lake Campground (A), Lac Vieux Desert Campground (B), Kentuck Lake Campground (C), Phelps Area Emergency Medical Services (D), Phelps Volunteer Fire Department (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Phelps include: Twin Lake Church (A), South Lakes Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Pickel Lake (A), Plymouth Lake (B), Potfish Lake (C), Secret Lake (D), Spectacle Lake (E), Stub Walsh Lake (F), Sugar Maple Lake (G), Vista Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Rivers and creeks: Little Deerskin River (A), Military Creek (B), Kentuck Creek (C), Thoroughfare Creek (D), Blackjack Creek (E), Beaver Creek (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: Lakeview Motel (2315 State Highway 17) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.7% of all households
65 people in nursing homes in 2000
5 people in other noninstitutional group quarters in 2000
Banks with branches in Phelps (2011 data):
- The First National Bank of Eagle River: Phelps Branch at 4534 County Highway E, branch established on 1968/05/27. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $146.0 mil, Deposits: $106.6 mil, headquarters in Eagle River, WI, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Ellis Bankshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Phelps town (based on Vilas County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Vilas County:||4.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vilas County:||0.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vilas County:||11.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||38.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
6.02% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($48,375 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Oneida County, WI||1.04% ($27,250 average AGI)|
|from Waukesha County, WI||0.38% ($106,343)|
|from Milwaukee County, WI||0.30% ($40,143)|
5.57% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($44,043 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Phelps:
- WERL (950 AM; 1 kW; EAGLE RIVER, WI)
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WLKD (1570 AM; 5 kW; MINOCQUA, WI; Owner: RAVEN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WJMS (590 AM; 5 kW; IRONWOOD, MI; Owner: ROBERTS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNAM (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEENAH-MENASHA, WI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WIKB (1230 AM; 1 kW; IRON RIVER, MI; Owner: NORTHLAND ADVERTISING, INC.)
- WTCM (580 AM; 35 kW; TRAVERSE CITY, MI; Owner: WTCM RADIO, INC.)
- WDBC (680 AM; 10 kW; ESCANABA, MI; Owner: KMB BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
Strongest FM radio stations in Phelps:
- W280AF (103.9 FM; PHELPS, WI; Owner: WRVM, INC.)
- WRJO (94.5 FM; EAGLE RIVER, WI; Owner: BERNER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WXPR (91.7 FM; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: WHITE PINE COMMUNITY B/CASTING, INC.)
- WIKB-FM (99.1 FM; IRON RIVER, MI; Owner: NORTHLAND ADVERTISING, INC.)
- WLSL (93.7 FM; THREE LAKES, WI; Owner: RESULTS BROADCASTING OF RHINELANDER, INC.)
- W292CG (106.3 FM; LAND O' LAKES, WI; Owner: WRVM, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Phelps:
- WYOW (Channel 34; EAGLE RIVER, WI; Owner: WAOW-WYOW TELEVISION, INC.)
- WJFW-TV (Channel 12; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: NORTHLAND TELEVISION, INC.)
- W57AR (Channel 57; SAYNER/VILAS COUNTY, WI; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Phelps)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:14 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- On Fire Rd 2276 At Main Office (Lat: 46.077444 Lon: -89.076806), Call Sign: WZN759
Assigned Frequencies: 49.3000 MHzGrant Date: 11/24/2001, Expiration Date: 01/12/2012, Cancellation Date: 03/17/2012Registrant: Fit, 1565 Oak St, Eugene, OR 97401, Phone: (541) 485-8441
- Military Hill Hwy 17 (Lat: 46.066889 Lon: -89.077639), Type: Tower, Structure height: 76 m, Call Sign: KKY942
Assigned Frequencies: 152.480 MHzGrant Date: 08/25/1997, Expiration Date: 08/25/2002, Cancellation Date: 06/07/2002, Certifier: Dawn M GrmickRegistrant: Northway Communications Inc, 105 E Oak St, Wausau, WI 54401, Fax: (715) 848-1413
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:3
- PHELPS RT, Stwy 17 At Forest Rd 2201 (Lat: 46.069944 Lon: -89.043167), Type: Tower, Structure height: 57.9 m, Overall height: 60.6 m, Call Sign: WNEW760
Assigned Frequencies: 6795.00 MHz, 6765.00 MHz, 6815.00 MHz, 954.350 MHz, 6855.00 MHz, 6835.00 MHzGrant Date: 10/08/2008, Expiration Date: 11/18/2018Registrant: Wisconsin Electric Power Company, 333 W. Everett St, Milwaukee, WI 53203, Phone: (414) 221-2081, Fax: (414) 221-3198, Email:
- Phelps RT, Stwy 17 At Forest Rd 2201 (Lat: 46.069944 Lon: -89.043167), Type: Tower, Structure height: 59.4 m, Call Sign: WQML546
Assigned Frequencies: 952.343 MHz, 928.343 MHz, 952.281 MHz, 928.281 MHzGrant Date: 09/15/2010, Expiration Date: 09/15/2020, Certifier: Michael J KelleyRegistrant: Wisconsin Electric Power Company, 333 W. Everett St, Milwaukee, WI 53203, Phone: (414) 221-2081, Fax: (414) 221-3198, Email:
- PHELPS, 4016 Deerskin Road (Lat: 46.041472 Lon: -89.097278), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 106.7 m, Overall height: 112.8 m, Call Sign: WQXL933, Licensee ID: L00016858
Assigned Frequencies: 6004.50 MHz, 6595.00 MHz, 6004.50 MHz, 6595.00 MHz, 6004.50 MHz, 6595.00 MHz, 6004.50 MHz, 6595.00 MHz, 6004.50 MHz, 6595.00 MHz... (+4 more)Grant Date: 04/12/2016, Expiration Date: 04/12/2026, Certifier: James WestoverRegistrant: State Of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53707-7912, Phone: (608) 512-3010, Fax: (608) 267-4495, Email:
FCC Registered Paging Towers:1
- St Louis Road 2 Mi South Of (Lat: 46.040000 Lon: -89.095278), Type: Tower, Structure height: 38 m, Overall height: 61 m, Call Sign: KNKD729
Assigned Frequencies: 454.175 MHzGrant Date: 03/03/2009, Expiration Date: 04/01/2019, Certifier: Jeff SohnRegistrant: Lukas, Nace, Gutierrez & Sachs, LLP, 931 Shetland Ct, Mclean, VA 22120, Phone: (703) 584-8673, Fax: (703) 584-8696, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: KF9OF, Previous Call Sign: N9KQC, Licensee ID: L00185667, Grant Date: 02/01/2013, Expiration Date: 03/23/2023, Certifier: Fred D Moore, Registrant: Fred D Moore, 3304 Hwy 17, Phelps, WI 54554
- Call Sign: WD9HVR, Licensee ID: L00695089, Grant Date: 06/05/2003, Expiration Date: 08/24/2013, Cancellation Date: 08/25/2015, Registrant: Michel A Coccia, 203 Smoky Lake Dr, Phelps, WI 54554
- Call Sign: KC9SZW, Licensee ID: L01588456, Grant Date: 08/18/2010, Expiration Date: 08/18/2020, Certifier: Anthony E Campion, Registrant: Anthony E Campion, 1605 E Boot Lake Rd, Phelps, WI 54554
- Call Sign: KD9CXC, Licensee ID: L01918685, Grant Date: 01/28/2015, Expiration Date: 01/28/2025, Certifier: Lorin W Johnson, Registrant: Lorin W Johnson, 2266 Strong Rd, Phelps, WI 54554
Drinking water stations with addresses in Phelps and their reported violations in the past:THUNDER BAY RESORT - HILLTOP (Population served: 35, Groundwater):
Past health violations:SAND LAKE PUB (Population served: 25, Groundwater):
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In AUG-2005, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif received (AUG-12-2005), St Public Notif issued (AUG-12-2005), St Boil Water Order (OCT-12-2005), St Public Notif requested (OCT-12-2005), St Violation/Reminder Notice (OCT-12-2005), St Compliance achieved (JUN-12-2006)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JUN-2005, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif issued (JUN-30-2005), St Boil Water Order (JUN-30-2005), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUN-30-2005), St Public Notif requested (JUN-30-2005), St Public Notif received (JUN-30-2005), St Compliance achieved (JUL-28-2005)
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In MAY-2009, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-27-2009), St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAY-27-2009), St Boil Water Order (MAY-27-2009), St Public Notif issued (MAY-28-2009), St Public Notif received (MAY-28-2009), St Compliance achieved (JUN-18-2009)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Phelps that have no violations reported:
- TWIN LAKES BIBLE CHURCH (Population served: 100, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- NORTH TWIN LODGE (Population served: 60, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- THUNDER BAY RESORT MAIN (Population served: 35, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
- Hazardous Condition: 1
|Most common first names in Phelps, WI among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Phelps, WI among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (34%)
- Utility gas (32%)
- Electricity (16%)
- Wood (13%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
Phelps compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2017.