|Median resident age:||43.4 years|
|Illinois median age:||39.6 years|
Zip codes: 60959.
Piper City village income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $60,443 (it was $72,800 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $598.
- White alone - 766 (92.7%)
- Hispanic - 49 (5.9%)
- Asian alone - 6 (0.7%)
- Two or more races - 3 (0.4%)
- American Indian alone - 2 (0.2%)
Latest news from Piper City, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (29.1%), Irish (20.0%), United States (9.8%), English (6.6%), Lithuanian (3.9%), Scottish (3.6%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 03/21/1877
Elevation: 668 feet
Land area: 0.55 square miles.
Population density: 1,454 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Piper City:
- High school or higher: 77.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 6.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 3.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Piper City village:
- Never married: 21.7%
- Now married: 52.2%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 15.0%
- Divorced: 8.8%
3 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Piper City, Illinois as of June 03, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Piper City to the number of sex offenders is 273 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,712 (2.2%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $1,539 (2.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Champaign, IL (44.7 miles , pop. 67,518).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Chicago, IL (79.5 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Chatsworth, IL (2.3 miles ), Thawville, IL (2.6 miles ), Cullom, IL (3.1 miles ), Roberts, IL (3.2 miles ), Onarga, IL (3.2 miles ), Gilman, IL (3.2 miles ), Forrest, IL (3.4 miles ), Danforth, IL (3.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $48,000
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $100,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 40.76 N, Longitude: 88.19 W
Area code: 815
|Crime rates in Piper City by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 313.1)||87.0||59.6||166.5||169.8||530.1||86.8||51.8||557.8||272.2||440.4|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Piper City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.40|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (33%)
- Transportation and warehousing (18%)
- Construction (13%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (5%)
- Manufacturing (21%)
- Health care and social assistance (21%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Accommodation and food services (12%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (4%)
- Registered nurses (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Waiters and waitresses (4%)
- Business operations specialists (4%)
Average climate in Piper City, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Piper City-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 84% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/17/1963, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 29.6 miles away from the Piper City village center killed one person and injured 70 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 3/6/1956, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 13.3 miles away from the village center injured 6 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Piper City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Illinois state average. It is 83% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 160.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 134.9 miles away from Piper City center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 192.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 158.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 149.8 miles away from Piper City center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 61.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Ford County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 3, Winter Storms: 2, Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Piper City:
Airports located in Piper City:
- Read Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Piper City:
- Kankakee Community College (about 30 miles; Kankakee, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,969)
- Olivet Nazarene University (about 33 miles; Bourbonnais, IL; FT enrollment: 4,731)
- Parkland College (about 44 miles; Champaign, IL; FT enrollment: 7,326)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (about 45 miles; Champaign, IL; FT enrollment: 47,528)
- Illinois State University (about 46 miles; Normal, IL; FT enrollment: 18,804)
- Illinois Wesleyan University (about 46 miles; Bloomington, IL; FT enrollment: 2,323)
- Heartland Community College (about 46 miles; Normal, IL; FT enrollment: 3,958)
Public elementary/middle school in Piper City:
- Tri-Point Junior High/Elementary School (Location: PO Box 158; Grades: PK-8)
Notable location: Piper City Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Piper City: Saint Peter Catholic Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
(13.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This village:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
28 people in nursing homes in 2000
Piper City compared to Illinois state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Piper City (2011 data):
- Vermilion Valley Bank: at 4 East Peoria, branch established on 1913/07/25. Info updated 2007/05/31: Bank assets: $118.8 mil, Deposits: $96.9 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Piper Bankshares, Inc.
- Farmers-Merchants National Bank of Paxton: South Pine Street Branch at 116 South Pine Street, branch established on 1956/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $107.5 mil, Deposits: $92.2 mil, headquarters in Paxton, IL, positive income, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Premier Bancorp Of Illinois, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (85%)
- Electricity (13%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Piper City village (based on Ford County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 63.23%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||United Methodist Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Catholic Church||New Testament Association Independent Baptist Churches/Other Fundamental Baptists||Southern Baptist Convention|
|Name||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Presbyterian Church (USA)||The Evangelical Covenant Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Ford County:||2.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ford County:||1.42 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||0.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ford County:||5.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||8||$1,397|
|Police Protection - Officers||1||$2,806||$33,672||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||1||$91|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$2,038||$24,456||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||3||$7,568||$30,272||10||$1,666|
Piper City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - General - Other: $82,000 ($101.74)
Financial Administration: $69,000 ($85.61)
Police Protection: $52,000 ($64.52)
Regular Highways: $49,000 ($60.79)
Water Utilities: $30,000 ($37.22)
Parks & Recreation: $18,000 ($22.33)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $80,000 ($99.26)
Piper City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - All Other: $9,000 ($11.17)
Solid Waste Management: $0 ($0.00)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $19,000 ($23.57)
Interest Earnings: $8,000 ($9.93)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $32,000 ($39.70)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $114,000 ($141.44)
Highways: $22,000 ($27.30)
- Tax - Property: $88,000 ($109.18)
Public Utilities: $30,000 ($37.22)
NEC: $2,000 ($2.48)
Piper City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Issue, Unspecified - Other NEC: $112,000 ($138.96)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $95,000 ($117.87)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $17,000 ($21.09)
Piper City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $286,000 ($354.84)
6.14% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,889 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Champaign County, IL||1.75% ($28,582 average AGI)|
|from Iroquois County, IL||0.59% ($35,303)|
|from Livingston County, IL||0.43% ($34,875)|
6.51% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,241 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Piper City:
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WYLL (1160 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WILL (580 AM; 5 kW; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BOARD OF TRUSTEES)
- WVIV (1200 AM; 20 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLXX-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- WISN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WOWO (1190 AM; 50 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WIND (560 AM; 5 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION ("TLC"))
Strongest FM radio stations in Piper City:
- WYST (107.7 FM; FAIRBURY, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WGCY (106.3 FM; GIBSON CITY, IL; Owner: F & G BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJEZ (98.9 FM; DWIGHT, IL; Owner: LIVINGSTON COUNTY BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WTRX-FM (93.7 FM; PONTIAC, IL; Owner: LIVINGSTON COUNTY BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WGFA-FM (94.1 FM; WATSEKA, IL; Owner: IROQUOIS COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPXN (104.9 FM; PAXTON, IL; Owner: PAXTON BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Piper City:
- W34CD (Channel 34; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WCIA (Channel 3; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF CHAMPAIGN, L.L.C.)
- W52BR (Channel 52; CHAMPAIGN-URBANA, IL; Owner: MARCIA COHEN)
- WICD (Channel 15; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: WICD LICENSEE, LLC)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: K9EAX, Licensee ID: L00535260
Grant Date: 01/05/2013, Expiration Date: 03/16/2023
Registrant: Richard K Chandler, Box 103, Piper City, IL 60959
- Call Sign: KF9HL, Previous Call Sign: KA9UAE, Licensee ID: L00408760
Grant Date: 10/19/2011, Expiration Date: 01/07/2022, Certifier: Thomas W Mc Mahan
Registrant: Thomas W Mc Mahan, Piper City, IL 60959
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 9
- Hazardous Condition: 4
Incident types - Piper City
|Most common first names in Piper City, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Piper City, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Piper City on our top lists:
- #100 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Construction"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.