Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 02:47 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,032 times

Advertisements

[quote=jtur88;27304142]...In my experience, I've found that immigrants to the US are not very nice or friendly people. .....quote]

You are not getting it, so let me try to explain. Think of it this way - let's say you have to work to support yourself/family and you are forced to be in an office environment that you absolutely dislike, would you be nice and friendly to your coworkers? Probably not. And even if you "force" yourself to be friendly, your intelligent coworkers will pick-up on it. So the whole day while at the office, you fantasize about being in your house with your kids/family, watching your favorite TV shows or doing your hobbies or whatever you enjoy. Your mind is so preoccupied by all this 'fantasy" that you disconnect yourself from the environment (your office) you find yourself in. Sure, you will look for another job and one day leave but until that day comes, I bet most of your co-workers will think of you as unfriendly, even though that is not your intention. The reason you are that way is only because you don't want to be in that office.

So that is the dilemma most immigrants face. They love the US to visit but most do NOT want to live here but are forced to because they are poor in their countries that is why they came here to work and send some money to their families. They are homesick and feel out-of-place in the US, at least that's what they tell me. Don't take their unfriendliness personally as most long to return home. Always remember the example I gave you above about finding yourself in an office you don't want to be in but have to due to money reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
.... African immigrants are doing fine on average, they are very educated and successful. Probably because they belong to African elites...
African immigrants are doing fine?? I beg to differ. Most do one of the following low-wage jobs:

- They work as CNAs (i.e they clean old people's behinds in nursing homes!)
- They work as Taxi Drivers
- They work as parking lot attendants
- They work as babysitters
- They work as waiters or cooks

And no, the majority do come from extremely poor families which is why they came here to try to earn a living. A few belonged to African Elites and were persecuted by the government in their countries so they fled and became refugees. That's not the majority of them. The majority are here simply for economic reasons and if you gave one of them a million dollar today, they will be on the first flight home! There is a Gambian janitor who works in my office building and that is what he always tells me. LOL

Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
I think they work as janitors and Cna's because of racial prejudice,but they don't even realize it half the time.
If Nigerians are the most educated,passing Asians,then why don't they have a similiar income?
The educated ones are working as cab drivers,etc instead of working as Doctors and lawyers.

An Md degree from say,Nigeria, isn't held to the same standard as a degree from India or Phillipines.
That's what lenty of Africans tell me...is that true?
If so,why are different standards applied?

Old 03-17-2013, 05:40 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think they work as janitors and Cna's because of racial prejudice,but they don't even realize it half the time.
If Nigerians are the most educated,passing Asians,then why don't they have a similiar income?
The educated ones are working as cab drivers,etc instead of working as Doctors and lawyers.

An Md degree from say,Nigeria, isn't held to the same standard as a degree from India or Phillipines.
There are plenty of educated African people working as Doctors, Computer Engineers, Professors, Lawyers etc. here in the states. Many are educated here in the U.S.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:52 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
There are plenty of educated African people working as Doctors, Computer Engineers, Professors, Lawyers etc. here in the states. Many are educated here in the U.S.
Im know,but I don't understand,if they are the most educated,why isn't their income reflecting that?
Maybe the goverment doesn't count Africans separate from black americans?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

It could be racial prejudice but it could also be related to the fact that every country in this world has to protect its own labor force, meaning if a job is advertised, they will only give it to an immigrant if there are no qualified citizens to do the job. For example, if an Italian moved to the UK, he will not be able to get the type of job (good, safe, high-paying job) that the british citizens get. More than likely, he will be forced to do the type of jobs the british people do not want.

In the case of Nigerians, yes they are the most educated and most intelligent Africans you find here. Many have at least a Bachelor's degree in something (Political Science, Economics, Management, Mathematics, etc) so the reason they do not get those jobs is because there are qualified American-born citizens willing to do these jobs. That's why many are forced to take jobs Americans do not want, such as Taxi, Security Guard, banquet, Diswasher, Limo driver, etc. If they have a medical degree from their country, I beleive there is an exam they can take here in the US which will evaluate their level of knowledge but I am not sure of the name but there is one. And you're absolutely right, a degree from Africa is often viewed suspiciously so they may be required to take more classes but most simply don't have the energy to do more schooling especially since there are no guarantees that once they pass those classes they will get decent employment. There are just too many requirements and since they do not know the system that fast, they just give up and drive taxi. Those who did not give up have gone on to be CPAs, Attorneys, Surgeons, etc.

I have never been to Nigeria but a friend did tell me that the unemployment rate among the educated there is high. There simply are no jobs for all of them so many just turn to crimes. I have also heard that in the US, Nigerians have a high incarceration rates and I beleive it is for crimes they probably would get away with if they were in their country.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:42 PM

44 posts, read 90,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
You're trolling and I'm beginning to question if you are even African. I already told you to not put words in my mouth. Like I said, what you see in America is no differently than what you will see in African and Afro-caribbean countries. That is immigrants normally does better than the locals. Since you brought in Mexico it's the same for that country. Immigrants in Mexico does better than the local Mexican population. Immigrants in the U.S. don't only do better than African-Americans but they also do better than white Americans. Where's is the accountability within these African nations that they can't succeed within their own nation. No African-American is jealous of African success. They have their own success.
A lot of the time it's much much harder to succeed in Nigeria because of the extreme amount of corruption in government. About twenty years ago, my dad tried to start a business in Nigeria, but him and his partners failed because of the corruption. He still wouldn't be able to even if he wanted to with all his success in manufacturing.We live in the US now, and he's been wildly successful, beyond his wildest dreams and imaginations. He was the first black person in the Fortune 500 company's history to ever reach his executive position.

The people within Nigerian government are thieves and liars.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:19 AM

261 posts, read 512,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeoandler View Post
It's due to our historical experience. Blacks should just try and get along.
This remains fact with in EVERY group. Their are these issue that continue to separate with in separate--which only shows we are truly individuals deep down within.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
The OP created this thread, and has not responded back. I am still convinced that this was a troll from the beginning.
Yap. She planted the bombed and sat back and watch it blow lol. Sucess. And thankfullly also beacuse the this pitcular fourm can be slow and underwelming at times but this thread always makes me come back and refresh.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
^^^The same person seems to be coming back under different screen names trying to keep her thread alive. You can tell by the writing style.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstiffany View Post
I live here in charlotte nc, and am originally from NJ. Why is it time and time again when i run into a woman that came here from a country in Africa, she always has a dirty attitude towards me? And why is it that every african male that ive ever met has always told me that he was rich and building a mansion back in " his country"? if thats the case, why are they here in the usa instead of back in their country?
I think that is just something that people do, whether they intend to or are aware of how impolite it may be perceived. I hear people all the time on and offline from other areas of our country, talking down about California and Los Angeles. A guy I know from Haiti once told me about "how easy it is to exploit Americans financially because we have been taught materialism so well and for the most part are basically uneducated", compared to his apparently superior homeland. But like you, I couldn't resist wondering why he was here with us dummies?? I suspect the greater chances of 'financial exploitation', sorta-speak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa