Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 AM

158 posts, read 256,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
Obama is an American not African. His father is an African/Kenyan Obama is not. He does not claim his Kenyan family as he is not one of them. He is black first and American second and not African at all. Africans claim Obama but Obama don't claim Africans. You don't need to look outside of Africa for a hero or role model. There's plenty in Africa.

Are you inside of Obama's head? Obama is a Kenyan American whether you like it or not. It doesn't make sense for Americans to dismiss Africans as foreigners even if they are born in this country, but give Obama a pass because he's in the white house. His father is from Africa. lol at not claiming his Kenyan side, when there are pictures of him taking family trips to Kenya. Stop being insecure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
If you guys want to claim Obama is 1/2 Kenyan,well african, you guys are right.
He is African.

But let's play on words. Was he born in America?
If he was,he is just plain old black american.
If he was born in Africa,well,you just gave birthers ammunition. He would be a Kenyan American
Which would make it seem that they have a point,which in this case they would.
You can't have it both ways.......

The same way a person who was born in America with Nigerian parents can't call themselves Nigerian American any longer....
We in America identify based on race. You would then be known as black american(I don't like the term African American)
You can't identify as Nigerian American if you were born on American soil.
Just saying...

Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySide View Post
Are you inside of Obama's head? Obama is a Kenyan American whether you like it or not. It doesn't make sense for Americans to dismiss Africans as foreigners even if they are born in this country, but give Obama a pass because he's in the white house. His father is from Africa. lol at not claiming his Kenyan side, when there are pictures of him taking family trips to Kenya. Stop being insecure.
Obama wasn't born in Kenya...otherwise we have a fake in the White House.
Since we haven't seen a birth certificate,it can't be proven or disproven.

I'm not a birther btw.
But to call him a Kenyan American is false.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Obama wasn't born in Kenya...otherwise we have a fake in the White House.
Since we haven't seen a birth certificate,it can't be proven or disproven.

I'm not a birther btw.
But to call him a Kenyan American is false.
How is it false? You don't make any sense. You are from Jersey right? I'm pretty sure the "guidos" in Jersey call themselves Italians or Italian Americans even though they are born in Jersey. The whites in Boston call themselves Irish Americans even though they are born on U.S. soil. Try to come back with a better educated response. He is a Kenyan American, the prefix denoting his Kenyan ancestry....when did I ever say he was not born in this country? I said you can't not dismiss his Kenyan heritage, there's no way around it. And if Obama considers himself a Kenyan or Kenyan American that is his right, not yours.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM

277 posts, read 506,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
You may want to replace the word "don't" with the word "doesn't". In addition, replace "we" with "I". Much of your post seems a bit outrageous.
Knock it off with the internet grammar nonsense. You understood everything I said. Obama isn't African and he isn't Kenyan. He is black American before he is Black African and Irish American before he is Kenyan. I don't care you didn't like what I wrote. Obama doesn't claim Africa or Kenya. He isn't African or Kenyan linguistically, nationally, or culturally but American in all three. The man had to meet his father. Nothing I wrote is outrageous.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
How is it false? You don't make any sense. You are from Jersey right? I'm pretty sure the "guidos" in Jersey call themselves Italians or Italian Americans even though they are born in Jersey. The whites in Boston call themselves Irish Americans even though they are born on U.S. soil. Try to come back with a better educated response. He is a Kenyan American, the prefix denoting his Kenyan ancestry....when did I ever say he was not born in this country? I said you can't not dismiss his Kenyan heritage, there's no way around it. And if Obama considers himself a Kenyan or Kenyan American that is his right, not yours.
But it's you people from Africa saying he is Kenyan or a Kenyan American. Obama never said he is Kenyan or a Kenyan American. Italians and Irish Americans identify as so because they are ethnically and culturally from those backgrounds. They are also doing the identifying themselves. Obama is NOT ethnically and culturally from a Kenyan background. He's from an American-Irish background. It's more plausible to say he is an Irish-America versus a Kenyan one.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
If you guys want to claim Obama is 1/2 Kenyan,well african, you guys are right.
He is African.

Everyone is saying Obama is African except for Obama. It's looks desperate to constantly claim a person who doesn't claim you. Obama isn't even a friend to Africa but Africans love him anyway because a father Obama never knew and had to meet was from Kenya.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Actually it's you who is being insecure. Obama isn't Kenyan American but Irish-American and black American. The man does not identify as a Kenyan or an African and he had to meet his father and family. He probably would not have gone to Africa at all neither to meet his family or take that anti-African trip to Ghana if he wasn't the candidate/president of the U.S. It would have looked bad if the president doesn't know what his own grandmother looks like. But he's the president and must take on diplomacy.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
But it's you people from Africa saying he is Kenyan or a Kenyan American. Obama never said he is Kenyan or a Kenyan American. Italians and Irish Americans identify as so because they are ethnically and culturally from those backgrounds. They are also doing the identifying themselves. Obama is NOT ethnically and culturally from a Kenyan background. He's from an American-Irish background. It's more plausible to say he is an Irish-America versus a Kenyan one.
He's not a Kenyan American to you because it is not politically satisfying to you. His father is from Kenya, noting you can say or do can change where his ancestors came. It doesn't even matter what Obama calls himself when he's in the public. He will say what the people want to hear. I don't consider Obama black and I believe behind close doors Obama doesn't either. But for the sake of his political career he would dare never say that he isn't black or an African American because people like yourself like to bully people into accepting your twisted ideology when it comes to someone's identity. Obama will always be an American of Kenyan and Irish descent. It makes no sense for you to say he is not Kenyan ethnically when his very name implies that he is of Kenyan heritage. Almost half of this country's black public figures come from immigrant backgrounds, and I doubt that they don't identify with their immigrant heritages. The audacity for you to dictate who and what someone is it's laughable. Identity is an individual matter and you have no control over that, and in the same token you cannot erase someone's heritage because it doesn't fit into your black narrative.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Actually it's you who is being insecure. Obama isn't Kenyan American but Irish-American and black American. The man does not identify as a Kenyan or an African and he had to meet his father and family. He probably would not have gone to Africa at all neither to meet his family or take that anti-African trip to Ghana if he wasn't the candidate/president of the U.S. It would have looked bad if the president doesn't know what his own grandmother looks like. But he's the president and must take on diplomacy.

And it would have looked bad for the president to shun the African American community (which by the way he has done already multiple times). Obama is a son of a Kenyan man, he has no ties to America through his black side. That's not opinion, it's truth. If Obama had been born to two African parents, he would never have in the white house, and he definitely would not have been embraced by the African American community. You fail to see the commonality that most "black" elites share in American history. They have all been mixed race. Dubois, Booker T. Washington, Frederick Douglas, are all mixed race and the list continues. The higher you climb on the economic scale, the lighter the "black" person becomes. I know it's a bitter pill to swallow. But it's unfortunate that you are so naive to believe a mixed race African can consider himself a Black American, despite not being raised by the black community, let alone even a Kenyan like you have admitted. Culturally Obama is neither Kenyan nor Black American. He is white like his mother, raised by his white family. He probably doesn't even like soul food. You don't know any of these things. You're not married to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa