Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 PM

73,004 posts, read 62,578,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I agree with you 100%, I am just saying though, people have to want to learn and take a active roll in their education, that is all I am saying.
And this is why I try to learn about things such as this. I had no idea about the Ishango bone until I accidentally looked it up, and then I found out about the Lemombo bone. I learn because there are those out there who want to say "Blacks are inferior" or "Blacks are dumb". There are those who feel this way, and for that reason, I try to learn what I can. The more one learns, the more one can have a sense of himself/herself.

It is important for a person to have an active role in one's education. There are many things I've learning that were never covered in high school, that I only learned years later. When I was in 11th grade, my teacher showed "Gone With The Wind". Looking back, I never really learned how erroneous the film was. I wanted to learn about Black people going west,to places like Oregon, Washington, Colorado,etc. It took me going to the public library to find this out. I felt like I was lacking something, so I went to the library myself. I found stuff out about Black cowboys, Black people who were having encounters with Native Americans,etc. I had to look it up because I knew my teachers weren't going to cover it.

Last edited by green_mariner; 09-09-2013 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
I quoted the person and at the end I said "This isn't to discredit what you said about, but to provide further insight into what you said." if a person doesn't have time or doesn't feel like listening to the videos, well that isn't really my concern.

Now, as to your part about people in Modern day African not speaking English or french every day, you have no clue what your talking about. My family is from Sierra Leone, people speak the language EVERY day all the time. The same is true all over Africa. I don't get some of you people. You have never lived in a place or have no close connection to a place, yet you pretend to know so much about it, is sorta weird/comical.

As for that bantu babble, its also comical and stupid all rolled up into one. Again, i am going to assume you have never been to Africa and probably don't even know any so called Bantus. But im sure you will google so pictures and try to pass them off as being representative of the continent. You people *rolls eyes*
Have you ever been in Sierra Leone, yourself, personally? I have.

Let's clarify that before we talk about who know what about where.

Then, Sierra Leone (along with Liberia) are unique in Africa in that much of the present population is descended from slaves, returned from America, and brought the languages of the Americas back along with them. As such, they are largely ultimately of Bantu cultural origin, but their culture has been influenced by the New World.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-09-2013 at 08:52 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Then, Sierra Leone (along with Liberia) are unique in Africa in that much of the present population is descended from slaves, returned from America, and brought the languages of the Americas back along with them. As such, they are largely ultimately of Bantu cultural origin, but their culture has been influenced by the New World.
lol

I am going to assume your lying about being to Sierra Leone, we are from Wanjama in the South of the country. When you can tell me where you are from in Sierra Leone, then come and talk to me, until then I can't really take you seriously. Your statements are comical. The ex slave population you are referring to are called Krio people and they make up less than 2% of the population. Before you start making up stuff or googling crap to prove a ill formed point, why not do real research, so you don't make yourself look like a fool.

You can read the CIA report on Sierra Leone here:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/sl.html

Look under "People and society" section

This is from The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development:

http://www.oecd.org/countries/sierraleone/42306413.pdf

Notice the percentage for Krio people, single digits, less than 2% lol. I could provide more, but whats the point, your clearly a liar and know nothing about Africa, outside of what you have googled, and not very well i should add. Just to help you out, for the next time you decide to try and invent stuff about Sierra Leone, the main group in Salone (you should know that word, since you been there before lol) is Temne people followed by MY group, which are Mende people.

As for bantus, stop using words that you clearly do not understand. So called bantu people are found in Southern parts of Africa now. They started in Western pats of Africa and this is hundreds of not THOUSANDS of years ago I am talking, then pushed southward as other people moved in, for example, the expansion of Mande people (my group) pushed a lot of people out of their previous areas. As stated before, Mande people had one of the biggest empires on the face of the planet at one time. Anyway, debating with know-nothings makes me tired. I am growing disinterested in conversations with you, they lack any form of intelligence.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And this is why I try to learn about things such as this. I had no idea about the Ishango bone until I accidentally looked it up, and then I found out about the Lemombo bone. I learn because there are those out there who want to say "Blacks are inferior" or "Blacks are dumb". There are those who feel this way, and for that reason, I try to learn what I can. The more one learns, the more one can have a sense of himself/herself.

It is important for a person to have an active role in one's education. There are many things I've learning that were never covered in high school, that I only learned years later. When I was in 11th grade, my teacher showed "Gone With The Wind". Looking back, I never really learned how erroneous the film was. I wanted to learn about Black people going west,to places like Oregon, Washington, Colorado,etc. It took me going to the public library to find this out. I felt like I was lacking something, so I went to the library myself. I found stuff out about Black cowboys, Black people who were having encounters with Native Americans,etc. I had to look it up because I knew my teachers weren't going to cover it.
Check this out

part 1

African Origins of Maths Dr Ron Eglash Pt1 - YouTube

part 2

African Origins of Maths Dr Ron Eglash Pt2 - YouTube

and this

amazing Ethiopian ancient math - YouTube

Old 09-09-2013, 10:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
lol

I am going to assume your lying about being to Sierra Leone, we are from Wanjama in the South of the country. When you can tell me where you are from in Sierra Leone, then come and talk to me, until then I can't really take you seriously.
I did not say I was from Sierra Leone. I said I have visited the country, in person, on the ground. I asked if you have, and you chose not to answer. I don't think I can take you seriously.

While I don't think it is necessarily true, it is you who insisted that a person who has been there would naturally know more about the country than a person who has not. Looks like you have changed your mind..

Last edited by jtur88; 09-09-2013 at 10:59 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I did not say I was from Sierra Leone. I said I have visited the country, in person, on the ground. I asked if you have, and you chose not to answer. I don't think I can take you seriously.

While I don't think it is necessarily true, it is you who insisted that a person who has been there would naturally know more about the country than a person who has not. Looks like you have changed your mind..
Obfuscation, you seem good at it. You have time and time again spoke about things you know nothing about and I have proven that. Now you are trying to hide behind claims that you supposedly have been to Sierra Leone, which I find impossible. You claimed Krios (you didn't even know their name) were dominant in Sierra Leone, wrong. You claimed West Africans are Bantus, wrong. If you actually did visit Sierra Leone, you would have known about the krio settlements, and known that they are a marginalized group. So my conclusions are as follows 1. you know nothing about Sierra Leone or Africa in general and 2. You seem to invent fantasies to back up your ineptitude, as it relates to Africa.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The whole thing about the Olmecs being of African descent seems to be a bit of a stretch. I'm not saying that it's not possible but it seems rather unlikely when applying archeological study to the issue.
Ok, so what archaeological studies can you point us to that would negate the claims that Olmec were at least partly African? Can you provide a study for us? I don't care one way or the other if it is true or not. My point in saying all this is, one should be careful about making claims; unless they have really done the research necessary to definitively say one way or the other if it is true or not. Trust me, it will take TONS of research and TONS of time.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:00 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Ok, so what archaeological studies can you point us to that would negate the claims that Olmec were at least partly African? Can you provide a study for us? I don't care one way or the other if it is true or not. My point in saying all this is, one should be careful about making claims; unless they have really done the research necessary to definitively say one way or the other if it is true or not. Trust me, it will take TONS of research and TONS of time.
If course from a humanity perspective, everyone traces their ancestry back to Africa but I think the big question is "Are they of recent African descent?" I'm not saying that there are no possibilities it's just that I would love to see indisputably prove that they were indeed of African descent. We already know that the Olmecs were a Meso-American civilization.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,603 times
Quote:

LOL, dude you are definitely a troll, and an entertaining one at that.

No one who has stepped foot on the continent would say the things you've said in this post.

I bet all your history of Africa comes from the writings of Joseph Conrad, lol. I bet you went to school on a Rhodes Scholarship, if you know of Cecil Rhodes.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:23 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,603 times
Quote:

Question jtur88, Is Sierra Leone below the Sahara, haha.

Are people in Sierra Leone 'sort of black' like the ones in Ethiopia, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa