Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 11:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
As you do in the Europe forum about Spain you're not a Spaniard. Get over yourself you're not that interesting. Bye.
I have been granted Spanish citizenship. I am a Spaniard. This is my home via Sephardic ancestry.

And I live in Spain.

You don’t live in the US or know anything about African Americans. My bachelor’s degree is in history, and my masters degree is in education. I’m more than qualified to speak on the subjects I speak on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 12:05 PM

I know nothing about Indonesian genetics or how they interact or who they identify with. And I don’t live there. The difference is I would never pretend to know how Indonesians interact with other Asians or Muslims or how they identify or whatever. And I certainly would never tell them what they should call themselves. Obviously a lot of racial and ethnic and religious groups have been through there. But is is for them to work out, not me.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:27 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
35 pages of an almost exclusively American/British diaspora angst transported to Egypt of all places. Yikes!

Egypt is and has always been a North African set of peoples with admixture from Nubia, the Mediterranean, and West Asia. No matter how you try to spin it, it is not a debate for the Scots-Irish and Franco-Germanic Europeans that settled British North America nor of the slaves which came largely from the West Coast and a much smaller % from Central Africa.Yet these are the people duking it out!!

For probably 3000+ years, it was the most racially mixed empire on earth.

Revel it its spectacular artistic, logistic and architectural achievements, among others. But imposing modern angst and politics onto Egypt is small minded and rather ig norant of actual history.

S.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:21 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,812 times
There are slaves commenting in this thread? Are they posting from the grave? Also, please tell the class how you're so well-informed about Egypt. Although I've never heard of it until your profile, I'm sure most people living in Sandpoint, Idaho have rich stories about their Egyptian origins and exploits.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:28 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times
As far as the various outsiders who conquered Egypt such as the Hyksos, Libyans,Nubians,Assyrians, Achaemenid Persians, and Macedonians. Is it known how many of their people had immigrated into Egypt during time of their rule? Then after their rule did these people leave Egypt?

Old 08-01-2018, 02:46 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
There are slaves commenting in this thread? Are they posting from the grave? Also, please tell the class how you're so well-informed about Egypt. Although I've never heard of it until your profile, I'm sure most people living in Sandpoint, Idaho have rich stories about their Egyptian origins and exploits.
You got me. I left the word "descendants" out, though by context it was implied.

As far the rest of your comment. It is called education. You ought to try it some time. It really does not take much effort to get up to speed. I would admit, however, that no one here nor anywhere known to man tells stories of the exploits of their ancestors from 5000 years ago.

But let's not get personal. I started the obvious points.

1) this debate is one that is almost exclusively a US/Canadian/UK black vs. white discussion.
2) The Whites in this discussion are descendants of Scots Irish, Franco-Germans. The blacks in this discussion are largely from the African diaspora created by slavery. It is not a discussion in Egypt other than to wish themselves out of this spotlight.
3) The settlement and ethnic evolution of Egypt was as I described it.

DNA studies bear this out. Of course, extensive trade and empire building can add more admixture from various populations, including the Horn of Africa.

But is this not obvious?

Where is the evidence that Ancient Egypt had anything to do with Sub-Saharan Africa? Western, Central, or Eastern Africa?

Are not Egypt's marvelous marvels marvelous enough on their own?

Last edited by Sandpointian; 08-01-2018 at 03:05 AM..

Old 08-01-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
You got me. I left the word "descendants" out, though by context it was implied.

As far the rest of your comment. It is called education. You ought to try it some time. It really does not take much effort to get up to speed. I would admit, however, that no one here nor anywhere known to man tells stories of the exploits of their ancestors from 5000 years ago.

But let's not get personal. I started the obvious points.

1) this debate is one that is almost exclusively a US/Canadian/UK black vs. white discussion.
2) The Whites in this discussion are descendants of Scots Irish, Franco-Germans. The blacks in this discussion are largely from the African diaspora created by slavery. It is not a discussion in Egypt other than to wish themselves out of this spotlight.
3) The settlement and ethnic evolution of Egypt was as I described it.

DNA studies bear this out. Of course, extensive trade and empire building can add more admixture from various populations, including the Horn of Africa.

But is this not obvious?

Where is the evidence that Ancient Egypt had anything to do with Sub-Saharan Africa? Western, Central, or Eastern Africa?

Are not Egypt's marvelous marvels marvelous enough on their own?
White people all over the West claim ancient Greece as a part of Western civilization. I personally am not that interested in Egypt, but if someone choses to be interested in ancient Egypt that is entirely up to them.

The descendants of African slaves often have ancestors from all over Africa, as there were migrations all over the continent before the Europeans came into the picture. And of course Islam, after it spread out of the the Arabian peninsula, spread further south across much of Africa. So are their ties between North Africa (including Egypt) and other parts of Africa? Yes.

Mind you Islamic influence spread via conquest and slavery (in part) so you don't necessarily have the greatest love of North Africa from many West Africans. But that also depends in part on religion, ethnicity, nationality, and of course the individual.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:52 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
Why divide Africa would be my bigger question? Its really was no such things as a South Africa until colonization.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:11 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Why divide Africa would be my bigger question? Its really was no such things as a South Africa until colonization.
Africa is already divided up here is a map that shows some of the ethnolinguistic divisions at the macro level. The divisions at the micro level are astounding.
Attached Thumbnails
Why Claim Egypt?-africa-ethnolingustic-map.png  

Old 08-01-2018, 11:28 AM

241 posts, read 143,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
White people all over the West claim ancient Greece as a part of Western civilization. I personally am not that interested in Egypt, but if someone choses to be interested in ancient Egypt that is entirely up to them.

The descendants of African slaves often have ancestors from all over Africa, as there were migrations all over the continent before the Europeans came into the picture. And of course Islam, after it spread out of the the Arabian peninsula, spread further south across much of Africa. So are their ties between North Africa (including Egypt) and other parts of Africa? Yes.

Mind you Islamic influence spread via conquest and slavery (in part) so you don't necessarily have the greatest love of North Africa from many West Africans. But that also depends in part on religion, ethnicity, nationality, and of course the individual.
It’s interesting how no one balks at the USA when it has Latin writing on its money and praises the Roman Republic eventhough it was established by the descendants of the people who attacked and destroyed Western Rome. But when people of African descent praise Kemet all of a sudden we are not the same and we have no claim to the civilization. There’s a clear agenda here and it is to separate African people from any great civilization. The saddest thing is that most people doing it don’t even realize they are doing it...they are so indoctrinated that anything outside of Eurocentric thought is looked at as a threat and shot down immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa