Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 07:58 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times

Advertisements

Bible thumpin' is another one referring to someone who constantly goes around quoting scriptures all the time.

For example "Look, I'm a Christian so don't come here Bible thumpin' and carrying on"!

Let me know if any of you are familiar with that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 05:08 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,537 times
Here's one that my late grandmother used to say. "Boring with the big auger". Who knows what it means?

Old 08-22-2010, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,388 times
my poor little moma had so many and i used one just last night on my 15 years old daughter. . . if you keep on running that smart mouth of yours im gonna knock your teeth down your throat. that may be a little harsh above the tennessee line but its ok for alabama. also my moma would say i had rather be in altoona with my back broke. meaning i had rather do anything than that. also, im sweating like a wh*re in a tent revival. my daddy would say that boy is so broke if it cost a dime to S*it he would have to throw up. there are so many more that is just a part of our life and language that we dont think a durn thing about it.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 AM

2 posts, read 5,107 times
Great slang. People all over the world use different types of slang and sometimes they are really funny.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipLib View Post
Here's one that my late grandmother used to say.
Quote:
"Boring with the big auger".
Who knows what it means?
Farm journal - Google Books

YouTube - Alabama - My Homes In Alabama

Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
When I moved here from "across the pond" I thought I had acquired the nickname "Yorta" as my newly-acquired friends would say things like "Yorta go fishin' with us sometime" or "Yorta come over and have dinner with us." It was finally explained to me that what they actually meant was "you ought to."

I remember their parents telling us not to wade in the "crick" lest we get "snakebit." And going to the store with my friends to get some "strick-o-lean" for the pot of beans.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:48 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephphilip View Post
Great slang. People all over the world use different types of slang and sometimes they are really funny.
I don't know if it's slang or not, but up around New York you hear people say "Idear" for Idea.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
When I moved here from "across the pond" I thought I had acquired the nickname "Yorta" as my newly-acquired friends would say things like "Yorta go fishin' with us sometime" or "Yorta come over and have dinner with us." It was finally explained to me that what they actually meant was "you ought to."
I say "ya oughta", but I suppose to someone not used to hearing me talk it could sound like "yawta".

Old 09-07-2010, 05:31 AM

5 posts, read 11,092 times
I'm native Bama(little town outside the 'Gump', AKA Montgomery). I've heard most of these before, but some are totally new. I'm surprised 'dang' and 'dad gum' haven't been mentioned.

As far as ma'am and sir go, I remember getting in trouble playing next door with the neighbors grandkids. She(the grandma) called my parents to let them know I didn't 'mind my ma'ms and sirs'. Needless to say, I had to pick a switch. That got you whooped back in the day(and I'm only going back to the 80's).

It's tough now because I am trying to instill the same respect in my kids, but we live in Hawaii, so my kids are constantly told by adults to quit calling them sir/ma'am. What's wrong with a little manners?

Old 09-07-2010, 05:38 AM

5 posts, read 11,092 times
Also, anyone familiar with the term 'suckrag'? It describes a crying baby. It sounds mean, but it's not. Example: "You just a little suckrag today baby". I'm guessing kids sucked on rags back before chew toys? Anyways, that was/is popular in central Bama.

Also my Dad used to say 'Shut the front door' instead of 'shut the **** up'. Makes more sense if spoken aloud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama