Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:41 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

I won't answer for Rance but it's probable that it was, given your remarks on the "real Alaska".

Rance is totally right, by the way, whether it was directed at you or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:04 AM

338 posts, read 1,368,691 times
Question Request for clarification from Met...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I won't answer for Rance but it's probable that it was, given your remarks on the "real Alaska".
Met, by my “remarks”, do you mean my opinion as similar to your ownon 07/14/07 (?):
Quote:
...I suppose the "real Alaska" thing is a subjective matter--SE feels more real to me than Anchorage. It's all worth seeing though.
(italics added for emphasis)

Or Xa’at’s (which came across as a pleasant jest):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Can I make a call? I think everywhere but Anchorage is the true Alaska.
Also, beginning with this:
Quote:
Rance is totally right, by the way, whether it was directed at you or not.
Thanks for "not" answering for Rance, although I respect your right to reply on his behalf.

And "by the way," Met, which part of Rance's statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
SE is a part of Alaska...but if you think it's the true "Alaska" your dreamin! Spend a year or two here...all over the state. Then consider making a call.
…are you saying is "totally right"?

a. “SE is a part of Alaska...” (which notably indirectedly either adds words to, or takes mine as well as others' comments out of context, including your own);
b. "...if you think it's the true ‘Alaska’ your dreamin'!" (which somewhat negates the essence of CD wherein ppl are entitled to respectfully communicate their own opinions);
c. "spend a year or two here... all over the state. Then consider making a call" (which seems to communicate to “you” an assumption on his part of who has been where and for how long or not, and furthermore, that someone either can not or should not make a "call" until and/or unless they have done so, which he is entitled to express.)
d. some of the above (negating your previous comment);
e. none of the above (negating your previous comment);
f. all of the above (reinforcing this post but possibly negating your 07/15/07 opinion);

I will wait for Rance to speak for himself.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:06 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
SE is just a portion of the state. No "one" area is the real Alaska.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:42 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Real Alaska is off the road system where no tourists roam, where we work for a living and live off the land(subsistence). Oh, and some party more than other areas of the state.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Real Alaska is off the road system where no tourists roam, where we work for a living and live off the land(subsistence). Oh, and some party more than other areas of the state.
Oh give me a home
Where the tourists don't roam
Where the caribou and the walrus, they play
Where seldom is heard
Any sort of word
And the skies are not raining all day

Old 03-04-2008, 12:40 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Any excess or unwanted rain can be sent to Charlotte, NC.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Met, by my “remarks”, do you mean my opinion as similar to your ownon 07/14/07
Not really, no. I was comparing Anchorage to SE and in an admittedly subjective manner. But then, my small town in Oregon that I also live in when I can seems more like AK to me than Anchorage. I'm just not a big city person.

You came across as saying that SE was the "real" Alaska. You're welcome to that opinion of course, but the difference between mine and yours is that I've actually seen and lived in various other parts of the state.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:25 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
It's a combination of all the areas that makes Alaska true. A sum of all it's parts.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Talking Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
It's a combination of all the areas that makes Alaska true. A sum of all it's parts.
Yes - well-stated. Then we agree - as I had stated:

"Frankly, *all* of AK is... well, 'true' AK."

But I can understand how, had someone taken my words out of context, that they could have concluded otherwise. While saying the same thing, you simply stated it better (IMHO).

Thank you for the clarifying follow-up as well as for the reply to the DM/PM. I had just sent you a reply back and didn't know if this reply was in response to that one (and if so, that was fast!) or just a coincidence. Anyway...

Just curious... do you have any areas you personally prefer over other areas of AK, and if so, why? (I invite anyone to reply.)

Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM

Wink Just a little warpt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
But is it *true* Alaska??? (v. being "real")

I guess if one hangs out long enough w/Rance when he's inhaling, then one could determine many things as either real which are not or not real which are, *IOTO, whether it's *true* or not (meaning, not true)!

*The first 'O' noting the 3rd-person pronoun; the 'T' noting tripped.

Nice sense of humor, WarpT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska