Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:07 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,537,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldn2slavery View Post
OP wrote:

By the way, you fish until the fish are gone and don't stop. It's not hours, it could be days. My friend said the swelling in hands and feet didn't go down for six months. It's brutal, hard work.
And you better know in advance if you're prone to seasickness. Also don't believe the "non drowsy" claim of stuff like Bonine if antihistamines make you drowsy. took some before getting on a sailing boat, and I was "out of it" the whole trip, slept all the way home, crawled into bed and slept for 14 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatoc View Post
Lets just say I've been through a lot in a short 25 years.
Do I feel ashamed? Yes. Am I sorry? Of course. And that goes to show I'm not a bad person. A bad person would say no to all those things.
You don't have to explain anything to the few clowns who decided to chime in about their personal opinions regarding felons without giving any helpful advice.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
It's not about what any of us clowns think of felons. Some of us clowns happen to know a little about the industry he wants to break into. Like I said before, I couldn't, in good conscience, advise this guy to walk the docks in Alaska or elsewhere because that's not how things are done anymore. Seems to me it would be tough enough to turn that sort of life around without stacking the deck against you to such an extent.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:52 AM

134 posts, read 195,452 times
I was emotionally and mentally abused by my psychotic mother and had and absent father. I was oldest of 4 and turned to school work as my escape, until high school. I left home at 16. Never got into drugs. My best friend grew up in hell and left home at 14. She lived on the streets but never got into drugs either. We all make choices with what we know inside. You are trying to make good choices now. It is difficult for people without a record to do what you want to do, but if you pay attention to the good advice and not block it out then you can succeed even if the path you go on isn't your original idea. I have seen people get on here and ask the same questions as most everyone else and refuse to listen because it wasn't what they wanted to hear. They want to be told this is some foreign america with no laws and easy money. I have also seen people pay attention and open to how things really are. A lot of those come up better prepared for reality. I did a lot of research before moving here, and a lot of my questions had answers on city data. I didn't start posting until I had been here more than a year. For a person without a record, it is an expensive effort that many shouldn't attempt, but if your heart is in the right place, then prepare yourself as best you can before coming, it'll make the trip better. Everyone has a story. I'd suggest you follow up on the cool works jobs, maybe try the tourist thing first to check things out.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:20 AM

772 posts, read 913,508 times
Quote:
I'm trying to gather some research before I make my final decision on rather or not I should move to Alaska. It's something I really want to do and would commit myself 100%. I'm 25 years old and in good health. I love the outdoors and like the cold more than I do the heat. Plus I just need to get away from everything here in my hometown. I've heard about the cost of living being higher, but at the same time the payout from jobs is higher. My plan is to save money for an entire year starting now, and move (drive) to Alaska in the spring of next year, probably in May. I would not come up there with less than $3,000 in my hands. I want to "beat the docks" during salmon season and land a job as a deckhand on a vessel. I've heard stories about people doing it and some not making hardly anything and others making quite a bit. Also, I need to know a good starter place to lay my head that isn't to expensive. Preferably somewhere near where these fishing vessels make harbor. I plan to work salmon for a season or two and move up the ladder.
The idea of moving to Alaska in itself is exciting. Although, I am a realist and understand the pros and cons. I take the good with the bad. I would prefer to hear from somebody who is native to Alaska who knows the ropes. How realistic is this plan? Is it possible? Is this reasonable? I currently live in Virginia and would drive to Alaska. I've been doing research about needing a passport. I understand you don't need one to get through Canada. But my real question is do you need one to get from Canada into Alaska? I would appreciate all answers related to this topic. Thank you.

red flag !! try $20,000 before you even think about being serious.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:38 PM

137 posts, read 177,514 times
Do it! You only get one life so why not take chances? Save up all the money you can and just go! If it doesn't work out, then come back.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:54 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,224 times
Quote:
I do have some things on my background.
Are these the things in your hometown you are trying to get away from?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:40 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,178 times
I just saw the state by state unemployment map a few days ago, and Alaska does NOT seem to be a good place to move to without a job lined up. Couple that unfortunate fact with the high cost of living and it's a recipe for disaster for someone "winging it."

Old 06-25-2015, 11:43 AM

672 posts, read 810,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Why would the rules be looser? Come on. You are 25 yrs old, you should know that you would need a passport to enter the US from a foreign country.
No, One wouldn't just assume that with a boarding country. I'm double his age and I wouldn't based on past experience without looking it up now. I traveled to Mexico many times without needing a passport to return home. Granted, I haven't been since 9/11 but one simply crossed into Mexico without lines and no checks. Returning was inspections and asking if we were US citizens and showing our drivers license.

When I visited B.C. on a day trip when I was a teenager, I didn't need a passport to return home or to enter. There's no reason to be an ass about it. If your going overseas, Yes most would know you need a passport. Visiting neighboring countries and returning to your home not so much automatic knowledge.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:09 AM

536 posts, read 1,538,264 times
Trucking is a good industry if you can stick with it and prove yourself. More comfortable than working on a fishing boat for sure. Now, in Kansas, if you're drunk and need to go pee behind a wall or bush if you couldn't find a bathroom and a police officer catches you....you're then considered a sex offender (Arrested and ticketed and the whole thing) and have to register for life! That's if you plan to stay in Kansas and Oklahoma. Had this happen to someone who I know. It's a felony in both states ironically enough. Crazy. Anyway, back to the subject of trucking..it's a good field but you have to have one year's worth of OTR to be even considered for a job driving in state only (it's considered better than OTR work because you can be home every weekend compared to 1 week out of an entire month).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska