Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:13 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times

Advertisements

Well by gosh next time you and your horse ride through the small town of Sterling...you let me know. I'll buy you and your horse a beer at Moosequito's! Usually more snowmachines than cars or trucks in the parking lot.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5117/dsc0014ja2.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-17-2008, 02:22 AM

53 posts, read 121,488 times
He he he, I was at work when I was able to log on and read the replies. Perhaps, I haven't mentioned this before but we are gun owning, pro-life republicans. I don't see the conservative bit a negative so much as a big positive.

I don't know how many are aware but Indianapolis is the 13th largest city in the US, we have all kinds here and plenty of them (the all kinds that is). Diversity is a blah issue for me one way or another. I can live near anyone as long as they are pleasant and take care of their own stuff and their own business.

Traffic?.......ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Let me tell you how Indy reacts to it's first snow, all one to two inches of it. You see people literally stopped in the middle of the highway for fear of driving through the "blizzard". Multiple cars and semis on the shoulders getting insurance info because all the common sense a person should have goes out the window with the first few flurries. It's really rather ridiculous. The best part is it's the same every single freaking year. During the Indy 500, there are streets where you will wait 3-4 hours to get one mile because traffic is so bad and that is with the help of the police department directing traffic. Traffic is a non-issue.

I can tell you the things people here see as bad things about Alaska like the snow and such I am so excited about. I can't wait to own my first snow machine. I can't wait to try cross country skiing. My son learned how to really fish this year. On more than one occasion he caught more than my husband and provided enough fish for the entire family for dinner. He was so proud of that. I can't wait to see him when he catches his first salmon. These things the people here can not understand. They don't understand the need I have for my family to learn a different more "extreme" way of life. I want all that Alaska has to offer.

Do not worry that my mind will be changed, that's so not going to happen. I'm more determined than ever to make the move. If I could get there sooner I would be there. Alas, I have to be responsible and take my time. I'm sure May will be here before we know it.

Thanks for the replies and the encouragement,

Saucy

Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 AM

244 posts, read 1,227,250 times
Rance-I love the pic of the Moosequito. Looks like a great place and I love all the snowmachines out front. Only in AK, right.

Saucy-I know how you feel about everyone saying how crazy you are for wanting to move. We are getting the same thing on our end. I just wish I was a far along with my plans as you are. I am envious! But, like you said, it takes careful planning. I am in the same boat with wanting that "extreme" experience for my kids and they talk about moving every day. They are constantly looking up AK online and probably doing as much research as I am. They are not worried about leaving their friends here and starting over. They actually can't wait. Anyway, I love hearing your updates Good luck with all the details and keep us posted.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:11 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
This is not from me, so don't be offended. But I was just told yesterday that the worst thing about Alaska is the COWS.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:53 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,699,652 times
Originally Posted by warptman
I lived in:

Bethel, AK.

Question is where is he now? And who is this imposter who keeps posting these pics of Bethel in Warpt's name

Old 11-17-2008, 01:23 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
Power To Rednecks!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:09 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fau2010 View Post
I lived in Alaska for 13 years and now currently live in Wasilla 6 months out of the year. Can you name one other major national bank besides Wells Fargo? Did I say there are no major banks...? Is there Holister, Brookstone (besides airport), armani exchange, etc? Maybe if you live somewhere where there is diversity, you would see that Alaska has hardly any...St. Paul isn't much better. Alaska is what 80% White, look at the restaurants, there are maybe a handful of Indian, a few Japanese, Chinese, Korean and the ones they do have serve Sweet and Sour Chicken, which is 100% westernized and caters to White people. Myabe you should join Palin and explore this country, better yet the globe and you will see what diversity is. My post wasn't remotely offesive and overall said Alaska is a good place. You sound like you have the intelligence of a 10 year old...or Sarah Palin. Yes, I am poopu and phony and i probally pal around with terrorists. Grow up you freaking redneck!
For someone who lives in Wasilla six months out of the year, why would you question how to buy a gun up here when you should know that or know where to get the info, sounds like slime to me...much rather be a freakin redneck if that's the case If you have internet access and direct deposit, very easy to bank with anyone you choose anywhere, but if you are in Alaska, what is the big deal with having to have a national chain bank, as right now they are rather shaky all on their own..

Old 11-17-2008, 02:12 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
I think Koots has seven bars, plenty of pool tables & lots of men looking for love.
Welcome to The World Famous Chilkoot Charlie's

Old 11-17-2008, 02:19 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Moosequitos has a MySpace page.
MySpace.com - Moosequitos - 69 - Female - STERLING, ??? - www.myspace.com/moosequitos

Old 11-17-2008, 04:16 PM

218 posts, read 518,280 times
Quote:
Saucy-I know how you feel about everyone saying how crazy you are for wanting to move. We are getting the same thing on our end. I just wish I was a far along with my plans as you are. I am envious!
I am a senior dental student and every time another of my male classmates finds out I'm moving to Alaska after graduation to practice all I hear is: "Man I wish my wife was as cool as yours!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska