Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlane1981 View Post
this is truly making my day. "it's the way they are" applies to people who would kill themselves for a child but not a dog. Like we're some controversial group of wackos. lololololol
I didn't mean it that way. Each person is different is all.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:46 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Interesting question. To be honest, I'm not sure, I don't have that answer.
Maybe that's why Neph doesn't have human kids??? I also call my dogs kids, but is a term a lot of people use, most pets are part of the family as they coexist together. Do mine get a seat at the table (not usually)...

Old 03-24-2009, 05:48 PM

I don't have kids, and I never have wanted any, even though my name dies with me, I'm the last.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Do mine get a seat at the table (not usually)...

Old 03-24-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Jumping naked out of a hotel window and taking off into the snow doesn't help either. They found that guy frozen solid in the park down by the library the other day.
OMG!! Was that really the story?? I heard they found him, but no more

Old 03-24-2009, 05:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
we are debating with a bunch of people who...if there animal was trapped out on thin ice would turn their backs...walk away and say..it's only a dog we'll get another one!!! they are not worth the debate!
No, you aren't. Don't even think about trying to paint it that way. My point is that there is a very deep instinct in most of us that would cause us to fling ourselves in front of a train to save out children.

I posted the fling test in the pet forum btw.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:54 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
<sigh> I am not saying this as a badge of honor. I'm saying it happens. Here. Now. And if I Google it, I'm betting it happens there. In New Jersey. I'm saying that people here in Alaska face tougher challenges than people in Anchorage (which isn't Alaska, but it's real close). And people in the Bush face a tougher life than that. I'm saying a lot of things, but I notice that you keep coming back to what a clusterf**k you refer to this race as. No matter what points anyone refutes on here, you come up with further objections without admitting that you understand our gentle corrections and precisely where you were wrong. Weather here is [i]extreme[i], it gets very bad, very fast. The obverse is true, but when it's life and death, fast and bad are more important. People have died of exposure in the years mid-months as well. Winter isn't the only killer here. Hypothermia can strike when a front comes through in May and it starts raining and the temps drop 60 degrees in one hour and the wind starts blowing and your clothes are soaked. But I know that you know that. You're a weather wizard in extreme New Jersey. My children climb Flat Top twice a summer, and carry their gear with them. These are boys who go out to shovel snow in their t-shirts and gym shorts. But that's at the house. They are acclimatized. Cold starts at zero. Pretty Cold starts at -20. Really cold is -30. I'm not going out starts at -40. Of course the oldest is up at Oliktok Point by Prudhoe, and is working in -40, and sleeps with his window open when he's at home, because 60 in the house is too hot.

v acclimatize, acclimatise [əˈklaimətaiz]
to make or become accustomed to a new climate, new surroundings etc

n acˌclimatiˈzation, acˌclimatiˈsation

They weren't even raised here. They're half Filipino! OMG. People and animals "acclimatize" to a new climate! Imagine the wonder. Animals also acclimatize. But if the weather drops from 32 millibars to 29 in an hour, and the wind comes in at 80 miles an hour, and the temp drops 25 degrees below the balmy -20, well, I guess the s**t just hit the rotating blades, didn't it.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlane1981 View Post
.... so, assuming you have children, say the kid and the dog are both on the tracks and you can only save one. What's your choice?
this is a Koan..... that can be contemplated forever and be different for each person...in reality you possibly could save both as you do not know for sure you cannot. you do not know for sure that you would save both by sacrificing yourself ...it is hypothetically impossible question.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:56 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
OMG!! Was that really the story?? I heard they found him, but no more
Yup, I guess his foot was sticking out of a snow bank. Ironic to this discussion, it was a dog that found him! I was going to say he was frozen stiff, but with the whole naked reference I didn't want to got there.

Naked window jumper's death revives memories of murder: Crime | adn.com

Old 03-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No, you aren't. Don't even think about trying to paint it that way. My point is that there is a very deep instinct in most of us that would cause us to fling ourselves in front of a train to save out children.

I posted the fling test in the pet forum btw.
I would fling for kids without a doubt...but would prefer not to play on train tracks or thin ice I think... A lot of emergency people put their lives in jeapardy every year to save animals from dangerous situations, as well as to save humans who do stupid things....good question Met
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska