Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,031,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
Then let us take into consideration the space required, the maintenance of the track and trains, and the fact that the construction costs are very high and are hard to justify.
Are the assumptions made with $2.00/gal gas/diesel or $8.00/gal gas/diesel. It's interesting since Transit provides an alternative to driving. Also less DUI, redevelopment along the route. Most cities in the US were built around rail, including Los Angeles. Think about going downtown to an event for $1.00 and not worry about parking, dui, or traffic. Also what about going to the airport without paying $20+ in a cab or shuttle. Just saying NY, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, LA, SF, Portland, Honolulu can't be wrong. Building Highways for peak commute times isn't efficient. Besides through a FSA you could write off your commuting cost and not have to pay for parking downtown. More highways = more congestion = more pollution = Higher health cost = more walking! Light Rail = more jobs, more choices, improved quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 AM

372 posts, read 711,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Are the assumptions made with $2.00/gal gas/diesel or $8.00/gal gas/diesel. It's interesting since Transit provides an alternative to driving. Also less DUI, redevelopment along the route. Most cities in the US were built around rail, including Los Angeles. Think about going downtown to an event for $1.00 and not worry about parking, dui, or traffic. Also what about going to the airport without paying $20+ in a cab or shuttle. Just saying NY, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, LA, SF, Portland, Honolulu can't be wrong. Building Highways for peak commute times isn't efficient. Besides through a FSA you could write off your commuting cost and not have to pay for parking downtown. More highways = more congestion = more pollution = Higher health cost = more walking! Light Rail = more jobs, more choices, improved quality of life.
The assumptions are made with the current price of fuel, which begs the question, how much will be spent on the electric power for these trains? Transit does provide an alternative, but "transit" does not have to be a streetcar.

"Think about going downtown...for $1.00," Where have you been? Even if I only needed to take a single bus, I would still need to get back, so $2.00. If we built an extremely expensive streetcar system, how much will those tickets be? (Hint:not $1.00) Not pay $20+ to get to the airport? Take the bus, it already goes to the airport, which is not something the initial streetcar system would do.

Not once did I mention any of these cities being wrong, but I will say this...the first 7 cities you use as an example are far larger than Albuquerque. Not once did I mention building highways. And I have to ask...do you understand that light rail and streetcars are 2 different systems? So far in this thread nobody has mentioned light rail, only a streetcar system.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:07 PM

Both are nearly the same fix track, shorter trains. Not on Sundays, no public transit to the airport. Cabs don't take credit cards in ABQ. It all depends on ridership, even if it were two dollars a monthly pass might be $30, its all good.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 AM

Help Albuquerque live up to its potential by voicing your opinion to Mayor Berry.

ABQ the PLAN - City of Albuquerque

Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 PM

129 posts, read 264,502 times
Albuquerque needs a real river walk like San Antonio? Live Entertainment on the river. (Amphitheater like the Hard Rock Pavlovian) Foot Traffic- the illusion of traffic.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:01 PM

As a former resident of San Antonio, I don't think a riverwalk would work here. Our river walk is Downtown and oldtown, maybe even route 66. We don't have floods.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 AM

112 posts, read 207,635 times
The closest thing we have to a river walk is Tingley Beach. Tingley is beautiful but it feels a little too manufactured for my tastes.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post

Right now I see Albuquerque, as that one girl with glasses that you never noticed before, but if you took them glasses off of her, imagine all the beauty and potential she has, why hide it?
Interesting analogy. I see it it more like this: Albuquerque is the girl with glasses who is beautiful nonetheless. 'Realizing her potential' and 'modernizing' would be like dyeing her hair platinum blonde and getting breast implants and a nose-job. No thanks, I like my girl next-door.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:38 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
We've already had the "streetcar down Central" argument here:
The future of Albuquerque The fun starts on post #10.
and here:
Light Rail in Albuquerque! The call for a Central Avenue rail system is there from the git-go.

There's really nothing more to say because I think we can all agree that
I won that argument and a street car down Central is a nonstarter.

Last edited by mortimer; 05-03-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 12:59 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
We've already had the "streetcar down Central" argument here:
The future of Albuquerque The fun starts on post #10.
and here:
Light Rail in Albuquerque! The call for a Central Avenue rail system is there from the git-go.

There's really nothing more to say because I think we can all agree that
I won that argument and a street car down Central is a nonstarter.
Thank goodness. I can imagine a larger waste of tax payer $'s than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque