Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
But its not necessary for someone to call people "hicks living in a cowtown". Bashing does not go just one way.

I might not be highly educated, but I did graduate high school. I am 55 yrs old, been married to the same man for 35 yrs and we live comfortably. No we're not rich, but we're not poor either.

Yes my husband has a degree in his line of work. He works a job that makes him very happy and easily pays our bills with money left over......gasp!!

Yes a degree is an important key to getting a job. But the lack of one should NOT be a reason for others to slam people into the ground.

Perhaps those who hate NM for being a "cowtown" would be happier in NYC, LA or DC. Maybe folks there will be more easily impressed.

I can tottally understand someone being upset about a "cowtown hick" comment and I agree that the poster probably does belong in LA or NYC, but ever since I've been reading this fourm for the past couple years I have seen nothing but attacking or drama for someone who dosent like it here. Thats their opinion and that is what this forum is for, we are not always gonna agree.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:05 PM

238 posts, read 634,691 times
Lightbulb Curses! Foiled Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxguero View Post
While you make some valid points that would stick back in the 1990's-where are all these people with "paper" in this recession going to now to look for jobs?

If I recall correctly, we had a pretty bad recession in the 1990's as well. We may have had 2 of them.

When you make more money, you can ride out things like recessions and job losses. As an example, all things being equal, twin brothers, "John" & "Joe". They are both high school graduates and have equal intelligence. John went on to get his Bachelor's degree. Joe decided to work at a fancy restaurant. John made $10K a year while struggling through college. Joe made $20K per year during the 4 years John was in college. When John got out of college, he landed a great job with the ABC company, making $60K a year. That means John will make as much money in two years with his salary than Joe did in 6 years.

When a crisis like this hits, sure, there will be casualties on all sides. But, when the economy is booming again and companies start to hire employees, who do you think will have an advantage?

And a degree is more important now than it has ever been before.

Quote:
There are a lot of unemployed people in the US with the "paper" that are broke-it is not a guarantee they you will be able to land a job.

Again, that is a moot point. Degreed people earn more money on average than non-degreed. There is no guarantee that a guy who earns a PhD will not get hit by a bus on graduation day either.

Quote:
As an earlier post stated-it seems you want to impose your "materialistic standards" on ABQ-not everyone is interested in living a lifestyle with a BMW and a expensive house. They are happy and content in ABQ to enjoy their families and friends, festivals and culture in the ABQ area.

Yes, you have finally uncovered my insidious plan. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!! <rubs hands together> I want to impose my ‘materialistic standards’ on the poor, unsuspecting people of Albuquerque. You will buy a BMW. You will live in Tanoan. You will earn your degree and make $100K a year or I will zap you with my ray gun.

In all seriousness, you have missed my point - again. My point is that people should value an education and you should not look down upon, nor try to dissuade someone from earning one and bettering themselves. I could not care less what kind of car you drive or what you earn. You should care. Just do not deny me the opportunity to earn an education.

--BtK

Old 10-04-2009, 09:09 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
For example, take a look at APD's website. I'll cut & paste what it states about 'College Incentive':

• Bachelor’s degree $135.00 per month ($1620.00 annually)
  • Master’s degree $160.00 per month ($1920.00 annually)
  • PHD $185.00 per month ($2,220.00 annually)

Not too sure if you agree, but don't you think that $2,220.00 a year more is a nice bonus? That's over $51K more in a 23 year career! That could buy you a bigger house with a pool, a nice car, a ton of vacations, more meals at Barrelas, and can put your kids through college! What's more, when it comes down to it - all things being equal - who do you think is going to get that promotion? The guy with a high school GED, or the PhD from UNM?
The monthly salary bonus probably won't even cover the monthly payment for the student loans which were needed to achieve those degrees.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 PM

238 posts, read 634,691 times
Angry Loans, Schmoans

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
The monthly salary bonus probably won't even cover the monthly payment for the student loans which were needed to achieve those degrees.
Don't suppose you ever heard of things like scholarships, financial aid, Pell grants, employment and such?

By the way, APD gives you something called Tuition Reimbursement. I think that, along with Pell grants and other forms of financial aid would cover most of the tuition, no? And APD even gives you a housing stipend after 7 years.

And Congress just made college loans only available through the government. Supposedly it will save the students and tax payers money. Although, I highly doubt that.

FWIW, I did not take out one dime in loans for college. Not one dime! I never had to pay back a red cent to anyone. That's where working hard comes in.

--BtK

Old 10-05-2009, 10:38 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I can tottally understand someone being upset about a "cowtown hick" comment and I agree that the poster probably does belong in LA or NYC, but ever since I've been reading this fourm for the past couple years I have seen nothing but attacking or drama for someone who dosent like it here. Thats their opinion and that is what this forum is for, we are not always gonna agree.
Of course, we're not. If everyone agreed on everything, it would be one helluva boring world.

I think some of us get frustrated because we cannot understand why someone who hates a place, stays. If one wants something bad enough, they can make it happen.

Put forth the effort into achieving what you want instead of wasting one's time *itching about it.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:09 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Of course, we're not. If everyone agreed on everything, it would be one helluva boring world.

I think some of us get frustrated because we cannot understand why someone who hates a place, stays. If one wants something bad enough, they can make it happen.

Put forth the effort into achieving what you want instead of wasting one's time *itching about it.

thats the thing, some poeple just cant pick up and leave right away, this is a city forum so people will tell what they like and dont like about the place, it aint always gotta be about sugar coating something. I like Albuquerque but there are things about this city that I dont like, but overall the things I like outweigh the things I dont like. If someone is moving here then they deserve to hear both sides-good and bad about the place. If someone gives negative feedback then automatically they are trolling or starting trouble. The whole New Mexicans being open to others and tolerant and accepting thing kinda goes out the window when this happens, but then again most arnt even New Mexicans in this forum so maybe that explains it.

I want to move down South, just for a change of pace. If I asked about living down there I would hope everyone would be honest and tell me exactly how it is rather than sugar coating the problems or denying them.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:41 PM

17 posts, read 53,404 times
Living is Santa Fe is much better than Albuquerque. It is more artsy here and people are more cosmopolitan here. I am enjoying it, but I would say that I am just passing through.
The economy is not good in this country right now so jobs are harder to find every where.
New Mexico has jobs but the pay is low and it will always be so. So as I once was told, if you do not like it here, leave. I will. Economically speaking, NM is not as much in chaos as other bigger states including my own home state. So it would not be a wise move at this time.

I think the work I was doing before was causing me to see the misery to a greater degree which was overwhelming me. I am more peaceful now.
YOu know, happiness does lie within.
I have made observations of Albuquerque and SF and many have already been said.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 AM

434 posts, read 1,106,180 times
Is Albuquerque really that "low class" and "unsophisticated" or is that very subjective?? I live In Illinois now and I absolutely hate most people in my area. The type of people, If it ain't Amurican It not worth buying, and a lot dirty/trashy people. I hope not!!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,217,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
Is Albuquerque really that "low class" and "unsophisticated" or is that very subjective?? I live In Illinois now and I absolutely hate most people in my area. The type of people, If it ain't Amurican It not worth buying, and a lot dirty/trashy people. I hope not!!
Subjective unanswerable platitude from a transplant.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:33 PM

21 posts, read 46,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
General rule about the "friendly folks down south": They are friendly...unless you disagree on religious matters. I know from experience. It's a caveman mentality in most parts.
I've lived in Clinton, NC for 3 years now and agree with you 100%. I would go so far as to say the people here are 'cordial', but not friendly or wiling to make friends with an 'outsider' even if I'm not a northerner.

I read this thread because we are thinking of moving to ABQ. I'd have to get a job first so it won't be anytime soon.

We've visited NM and ABQ several times and always found the people very friendly and outgoing. And I'm not only speaking of the hotel staff or restaurant wait staff. The folks we stopped and ask directions of, the gas stations workers, the people we chatted with in the bars were all easy going, nice people who wanted to tell us all about the area. We really liked ABQ.

Sooo, anybody know of any job openings in the computer field?
I'm a damn good data systems analyst/project manager/report writer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque