Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:13 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't find Australia diverse at all; its diversity, such as it is is almost all from Europe, with just a smattering (historically speaking) from Asia and the Pacific and none from Africa. Brazil is home to people from every continent, as is the USA (though not as mixed). As well, Australia has no history of extensive biological and cultural mixture like Brazil or other parts of Latin America or the USA.
that is strange since one of the suburbs I used to live in Australia had an large number of African immigrants from places such as Sudan and Somolia. Yet Australia of course has an very large number of white Africans from places such as South Africa and Zimbawee.

Well an smattering of people from Asia is an understatement esp if you are in Sydney or Melbourne. BTW at some Universities at least half of the people here are Asian.

BTW have you heard of the Conulla Riots? That was due to the racial tension of the Lebanese gangs here in Australia.

BTW there are not many Latin American immigrants but of course Australia is home to immigrants from just about every country in the world. Australia is dirverse but not as mulitracial as the USA, but very likely to be just as multiracial as Canada.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:42 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,739 times
United States and Brazil by far. After them, I'd go with Australia and Canada.
As one poster stated, China certainly does have diversity, but in all honesty, this cannot be compared with the diversity rate of the U.S. and Brazil.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:01 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
maybe i am wrong but i think the uk is more diverse then oz and canada, in most big cities in britain you have people from all over the middle east, africa, china, vietnam, the caribbean, europe, even north america and australia, and plenty more places to boot. i don't think some people know how diverse the uk is, london everyone knows is, but birmingham, leeds, glasgow, manchester, liverpool and even places like bradford, milton keynes, cardiff, southampton, nottingham and luton are hugely diverse cities and towns

Old 06-07-2011, 07:44 AM

170 posts, read 768,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
maybe i am wrong but i think the uk is more diverse then oz and canada, in most big cities in britain you have people from all over the middle east, africa, china, vietnam, the caribbean, europe, even north america and australia, and plenty more places to boot. i don't think some people know how diverse the uk is, london everyone knows is, but birmingham, leeds, glasgow, manchester, liverpool and even places like bradford, milton keynes, cardiff, southampton, nottingham and luton are hugely diverse cities and towns
Every city in Western Europe is ethnically diverse (London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Birmingham, Brussels, Stockholm etc.). However, the countries as a whole are 90%+ White.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 AM

228 posts, read 810,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
These are the most diverse countries in the world and are all very diverse:

USA
Canada
England/UK
France
Singapore
Australia
New Zealand

I think Brazil would fall into this category instead:

Countries that are not the most diverse countries in the world but still have some diversity and probably plenty of diversity:

Germany
Brazil
Japan
China
Thailand
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Netherlands
South Korea
Switzerland
This is terrible Japan and South Korea are completely homogeneous... You're going to put Brazil in the same catagory as them... Brazil's largest ethnic group make up like 60% of the country... Austrailia and New Zealand's largest group is like 85% to 90%...

Historically I think the most racially diverse countries are US, Brazil, Panama, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, and Suriname... Since the beginning these countries have imported Colonizers, Slaves, Traders, Indenture Servants, and Workers from Europe, Africa, Asia, Middle-East... Most of these people stayed and assimilated in to society... In addition, with the exception of Trinidad and Tobago these countries have an native population.... The first China Town in the Western Hemisphere is not in San Francisco but in Panama City...
In modern times USA has received an immense amount of immigrants, as have Brazil and to a lesser extent Panama and Trinidad all though these immigrants tend to be regional...

If this thread is referring to racial diversity as the countries with the largest immigrant population... That countries like Canada, UK, the Gulf States, Qatar, UAE, Oman would be in the list... I think Canada has the largest per capita number of immigrants in the developed world...

Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
Chinese all do look the same. I have never seen a Chinese person who has blond hair and blue eyes. I have never seen a Chinese person who's skincolor is dark as midnight.
How come you don't get it? The OP says ""music, food, culture, lifestyle, etc." and you keep insisting that that means hair, eye and skin color, and there can be no "diversity" of music, food, culture, lifestyle, etc. unless the purveyors of that lifestyle are of visibly conspicuous color.

The central fallacy in this thread is the tacit presumption that Diversity is a Good Thing. America has the largest prison population in the world, chiefly populated by people who are "diverse". Sudan is getting split in half after decades of civil war because it is "diverse". South Africa went through a century of Apartheid because it was "diverse". Activists are demanding freedom for Tibet because China is "diverse". Americans want to deport 5% or our population immediately because they are "diverse". Genocide took place in ex-Yugoslavia because it was "diverse". Terrorism is a daily fact of life in Israel because it is "diverse". Slavery, throughout history, would have been impossible, without "diverse" people to enslave. The subject of nearly all the hate-based chain emails I receive is our "diverse" immigrants or our "diverse" president or the "diverse" prom in Camden. Americans are ready to use "second amendment remedies" against telephone recordings that give them the "diverse" option to imprima el dos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzzz88 View Post
Racial != Demographics.
dem·o·graph·ics   
–noun
the statistical data of a population, especially those showing average age, income, education, etc.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-07-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I've been to China four times...including Yunnan were many of these different languages exist and such.

However, everywhere I went - Shanghai, Beijing, Kunming, Chengdu, Dali, Lijiang, etc. I was generally always confronted with a very strong sense of being surrounded by all Chinese with people all looking directly at me as the most 'diverse' thing they'd come across that day, or even in their lifetime, depending on where I was.

In short, it's absolutely nothing whatsoever to the times I lived in NYC or SF, or Sao Paulo Brazil, where I saw all kinds of drastically different kinds of people reflecting drastically different types of very different cultures, mindsets, habits, etc. -

I mean in just one subway car alone in NYC you see an immense amount of diversity (than you would visibly see in a week in China).

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-07-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM

170 posts, read 768,998 times
countries with the largest immigrant populations:

List of countries by foreign-born population in 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
so germany and russia are more diverse than the uk and france? wouldn't have thought that

Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
so germany and russia are more diverse than the uk and france? wouldn't have thought that
Russia. Most of them are from the Former Soviet Union countries. Lots of ethnic Russian people born in Kazakhistan, Uzbekistan, etc., who have moved to Russia after those countries gained independence post Soviet Union.

Russia is very low on the list of 'diverse, multicultural' countries by anyone's standards...except perhaps by a solo statistic of 'foreign borns' which doesn't explain that above reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas