Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,676 times

Advertisements

My family has its roots in (former) Mexican territory, we mostly haven't left the area for many generations.

My mother's side is mostly tall with light colored skin and some blonde hair. My father's side is mostly short, very dark skin, big noses, and straight black hair.

Both sides speak Spanish, and father's side rumored to be of a local tribe. Some Hispanic people in our town have proven their link to the tribe, but since we don't have the paperwork that just leaves us as 'Hispanic Whites' lol

Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
No, Mexicans cannot be native Americans, because Mexico is a different country from America.
My understanding of the term "native American" does not apply only to the US but rather to all of the "Americas".

BTW according to the CIA Factbook., 30% of the population of Mexico are pure indigenous (or native) Americans, also known by the term "Amerindians".

Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
---
Yeah, also in Spanish.
Nobody calls American to an Argentinean or Mexican.
In Spain maybe but in Colombia no. They are called "estado unidenses" and the rest by their nationality If you say "American" they'll get confused and think you mean the whole continent.

At least in Latin American TV(which is quite different than Europan Spanish) people from the USA are not referred as "American". Well at least until recently, things are changing fast.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:43 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
In Spain maybe but in Colombia no. They are called "estado unidenses" and the rest by their nationality If you say "American" they'll get confused and think you mean the whole continent.

At least in Latin American TV(which is quite different than Europan Spanish) people from the USA are not referred as "American". Well at least until recently, things are changing fast.
I agree. The term "American" is actually similar to the term European or Asian. Officially immigration agents ask if you have a US passport or if you are a US citizen. Unofficially you can refer to your passport as an American passport or say you are an American but officially you are a US citizen. The term "American" has been linguistically usurped to mean a person who is a native of the United States of (North) America. It is not officially recognized.

Many other nations in the Americas do not recognize the term "American" as a nationality. We have "The Avenue of the Americas" as many Spanish speaking people have "La Avenida de las Americas. and not "The avenue of the Americans" referring to the US. Popular usage is often incorrect and should not be confused with official terminology. Correct: The US Embassy. Incorrect "The American Embassy.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 AM

356 posts, read 1,066,040 times
Mexican is a nationality not an ethnicity. In Mexico the three most important ethnic groups are: Mestizo (European/indeginous), white ( of European/middle eastern descent) and of course indeginous, those of native ancestry.

I'm Mexican, myself and everybody from my fathers side of the family looks middle eastern, we get told all the time!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcaribbean View Post
my great grandmother was born in Mexico, present day New Mexico. but she was Native American descent. isn't that what a Mexican is anyway, just they don't identify with specific tribes anymore? what am i part?
Native American only refers to those within the United States territory, who have indigenous blood.

In Canada, I believe they are called 'First Nations' people.

In Latin America, I believe they just call them 'indigenous'.

'Mexican', in English, refers to the nationality of people who come from the nation-state Mexico, regardless of their ethnicity.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I agree. The term "American" is actually similar to the term European or Asian. Officially immigration agents ask if you have a US passport or if you are a US citizen. Unofficially you can refer to your passport as an American passport or say you are an American but officially you are a US citizen. The term "American" has been linguistically usurped to mean a person who is a native of the United States of (North) America. It is not officially recognized.

Many other nations in the Americas do not recognize the term "American" as a nationality. We have "The Avenue of the Americas" as many Spanish speaking people have "La Avenida de las Americas. and not "The avenue of the Americans" referring to the US. Popular usage is often incorrect and should not be confused with official terminology. Correct: The US Embassy. Incorrect "The American Embassy.
There is no quick and easy moniker to apply to a citizen of the United States. "United Statesian" just doesn't roll off the tongue. That's why we end up using American for lack of a better term. "America" also the geographical part of our nation's name - unlike other North and South American countries. We really have no other option for national identification in English.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Latin America is a diverse place - people from every populated continent immigrated there to some degree. Most "Americans" (people native to the USA) think of Hispanics as Indios because as already been stated Euro Mexicans are less likely to immigrate since they enjoy a better economic status in Mexico. There are also people of Asian, Indian, and Western European ancestry in Latin America

Old 03-23-2012, 03:55 PM

6 posts, read 11,840 times
Cherokee, Apache, etc, are different than Mexicans. Their geographic location is different too.

They are all native to the Americas though.

When U.S. citizens say Native Americans, they are referring to U.S. tribes.

Swedish look different than Italians... it's the same way with a Cherokee and a Mexican.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM

53 posts, read 178,542 times
Indigenas or Amerindians are found in Every country from Canada to the tip of Chile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas