Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,579 times

Advertisements

My experience has reinforced pretty much all stereotypes about the US (have lived in the US for the past 13 years, with welcome 2 months breaks over the summer in the past five years or so). What first comes to mind:

- superficial
- self-absorbed
- weak family/friendship bonds/emotionally sterile
- ADD
- an almost morbid need for psychological reductionism: incapable of seeing the forest because of a very strong obsession with specific trees; most resorted to "intellectual" come-back in the US culture seems to be "but not everybody's like that!!"; strong penchant to scream "stereotype/generalization!!" maybe exactly because the apparent diversity of the US hides an enormous mass of homogeneity.

I do appreciate Americans' sense of efficiency, organization and planning. These abilities can come in handy at times, particularly in the kind of society Americans created in the first place. Such abilities would not be as crucial in a slower-paced society though. Still useful, but not crucial.

Last edited by syracusa; 06-07-2012 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 AM

180 posts, read 475,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Ha ha, well at least we don't waist it on clothes according to most on here. lol A wardrobe of sweats and wife beaters is pretty cheap.

I googled Typical American to see where you all get this and this is what came up, tons of photos like this. They usually involve fat people eating food in tanks and sweats.

Typical American boys - Enjoy The Random

This picture isn't even in America but this is the common thought. Fat, lazy and under dressed individuals that can barely speak. It's truly enjoyable and makes me have a good laugh.

I must say I sort of enjoy my sweet pants and flip flops. I also enjoy not feeling pressure from others here to dress a certain way or talk a certain way.

Being polite and well dressed can make one uptight. It's ok if you think of me like the typical American, I don't mind, I know it's not all true. I'm well educated, well traveled and respectful. I do wear sweats to the grocery, and I do wear flip flops out to dinner on occasion, depending on the place, it's usually Pizza Hut or Taco Bell. lol

Go ahead, have your fun on me. I don't mind.

Here are several stereotypes from around my country and the world.....Enjoy!!! Looking through these, my countries isn't so bad.

Lou Minatti: Modern Stereotypes
Please learn to not let your emotions get the best of you. Clearly I stated in my post that EUROPE HAS NO ROOM TO SPEAK. If you read my post I was talking about clothes/fashion. Europeans might seem like they can dress, because most designers are from there, however, that is not the case. Just like all american are always in sweats and stuff.

Please read my whole post and not pick and choose what you want to see to justify your argument. Ok, I had my fun on you

Old 06-07-2012, 08:58 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,275,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I never said they weren't. Did I?
Just trying to keep it real Acajack.

It may be only the Quebecois, but I spend a lot of time on the Maine coast and you can always tell the Canadians by how poorly they dress and by the banana hammocks the men wear on the beach, heck they even wear them when they are not on the beach. Parents almost have to shield their children's eyes. Can you say mons pubis?

Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Just trying to keep it real Acajack.

It may be only the Quebecois, but I spend a lot of time on the Maine coast and you can always tell the Canadians by how poorly they dress and by the banana hammocks the men wear on the beach, heck they even wear them when they are not on the beach. Parents almost have to shield their children's eyes. Can you say mons pubis?
I live in Quebec so I am quite familiar with this variant of the species.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:51 AM

152 posts, read 493,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Generally, I've found that the stereotypes are very negative. However, I've seldom met the loud, obnoxious, fat, ignorant, gun-toting, bible-thumping American that they all talk about.

I'm not from those regions of the U.S. either, so I've never met those types in the U.S. either.

As you're a "well-traveled, open-minded and cultured American", you'll probably fall into the camp of perpetuating the stereotype that those other Americans are all over America, but you're an exception to them. Which is basically what about 99% of the Americans I meet abroad seem to do.

Personally I wish there was more recognition that all these Americans walking around who don't embody the negative stereotypes, had a bit more recognition however. And not in the 'but you don't seem American' way.
I wouldn't say that they were all over America. I haven't been all-over America so I can't judge that. I've lived in the deep south for half of my life, and sadly many of those stereotypes hold true, although those people tend to stay where they are and don't travel much.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:07 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,536 times
I am an American and very occasionally I will go to the grocery store in my pajamas and slippers. There's another gentleman who shows up that way every week. We are considered daring, however. SMILE.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
compared to northern europeans in general , irish people are quite ostentasious when it comes to displays of wealth , during the boom , people tended to own very new cars and built houses which were redicolously over sized , now that the boom is well and truly over , owning a brand spanking new merc is to invite scorn , we go from ten to zero quite quick over here , unlike americans , irish people dont tend to admire and congratulate wealth , not if they themselves dont have it , thats one thing which makes america quite unique , the less well off seem very happy for the rich and id even go as far as saying , they volunteer to take one in the gut for them , mechanic = raise my taxes , leave donald trump alone , that would never happen over here , in america wealth is seen as a sign of godliness
I think it's a very different social philosophy in America. The idea of social classes is seen as somewhat repugnant to most Americans, even though they of course exist in America. Most people here believe they (or their children) can become rich if they just try hard enough, are lucky enough, have the right connections, etc.

America sells itself as a land of opportunity for all peoples. Remember, people left the Old World and came to America to get away from hereditary classes and aristocracies. The dream at least is still there to some extent.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
I don't get the loudness thing. In New York City, the loudest people, by far, are immigrants from the Caribbean and South America. By contrast, your typical middle-American person of Anglo-Germanic heritage is mute.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:37 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think it's a very different social philosophy in America. The idea of social classes is seen as somewhat repugnant to most Americans, even though they of course exist in America. Most people here believe they (or their children) can become rich if they just try hard enough, are lucky enough, have the right connections, etc.

America sells itself as a land of opportunity for all peoples. Remember, people left the Old World and came to America to get away from hereditary classes and aristocracies. The dream at least is still there to some extent.
josef stiglitz was on cnbc refuting the idea that anyone born poor can become rich if they simply try hard enough , he claimed the evidence is clear that the top 10% are getting much wealthier

Old 06-07-2012, 03:51 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I don't get the loudness thing. In New York City, the loudest people, by far, are immigrants from the Caribbean and South America. By contrast, your typical middle-American person of Anglo-Germanic heritage is mute.
Totally! My anglo-American husband often qualifies under your category!

But I also see those that are the "loud" types.
Not that they talk a lot or really have a lot to say. Rather they are very intentionally assertive in a "sell yourself up" kind of way, very much in your face and overstated, which many perceive as aggressive and loud.

Professional American women who were taught in "feminist school" to be "assertive and NEVER less than a man" ...those in particular strike me as loud and aggressive.
As well as many men with a used car salesman attitude, Romney style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas