Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best option
Propose to annex itself to United States 10 38.46%
Propose to annex itself to France 16 61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 10:17 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,047,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The DR only began to rapidly progress over the past 30 years. Prior to that it was another Caribbean charity case. The DR is NOT able to solve Haiti's problems as they still have tons of problems to deal with. Interestingly enough much of its recent progress is because its low wages makes the DR competitive in many sectors due to low operating costs. That was the basis for its tourism industry and its EPZ manufacturing.
This is very accurate, citizens were still burning tires along autopistas upon my arrival in 1983.
Even today, with all the progress; the DR is ill-equipped to assist.
Plus they don't want to:
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...enship/575527/
Just like the U.S.,the DR has many jobs Dominicans would rather not perform.
Perhaps one means to help Haiti, and the DR business owners relying on Haitian labor; would be making it easier for Haitians to obtain temp work visas.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 02:43 PM

394 posts, read 597,855 times
The DR & Haiti actually have quite poor relations. There is a very strong anti-Haitian movement in the DR which is actively trying to throw out all Haitians from the country. DR citizens generally view Haitians with contempt and are often accused of taking DR jobs and lowering wages.

The reality is that nobody is going to come to Haiti's defense. Yes countries will continue to send aid but besides that, the future of Haiti is dependent upon Haitians themselves.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:55 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
What is the situation of French Language in Haiti? I know it is recognized as an official language but how many people still speak it? If I visit Port au Prince, will I be able to communicate with most people in French?

Old 02-06-2020, 07:34 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What is the situation of French Language in Haiti? I know it is recognized as an official language but how many people still speak it? If I visit Port au Prince, will I be able to communicate with most people in French?
Nope. The Haitian population at large never learn to speak French. The only ones that did were the whites (most of them were French or from French origin), most of the mulattoes (most were descendants in part of the French), and some blacks. Today French is spoken by a small group on top of society, mostly mulattoes.

French Kreyol, which is a language of its own partly based on French and not a type of French, is spoken basically by everybody, from the top to the bottom of society. A French speaker will not be able to communicate effectively with a French Kreyol speaker unless they speak and understand French too.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:35 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
You likely won't be able to communicate with most people but anywhere between 5% and 42% of Haiti speaks French. Wide range I know, but many Haitians do in fact know and speak French. All whites/mixed/Arab Haitians will known French and they make up 5% of the population.
Educated people, people involved in business or the media in PAP will speak French.

Source:
https://www.odsef.fss.ulaval.ca/site...-lfdm-2018.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20150412...t-OIF-2014.pdf

Old 02-08-2020, 04:19 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
You likely won't be able to communicate with most people but anywhere between 5% and 42% of Haiti speaks French. Wide range I know, but many Haitians do in fact know and speak French. All whites/mixed/Arab Haitians will known French and they make up 5% of the population.
Educated people, people involved in business or the media in PAP will speak French.

Source:
https://www.odsef.fss.ulaval.ca/site...-lfdm-2018.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20150412...t-OIF-2014.pdf
Do white Haitians, arabs and mixed folks live in a certain area of PAP?

Old 02-09-2020, 11:26 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Do white Haitians, arabs and mixed folks live in a certain area of PAP?
I'm not sure, but I imagine in Petionville, and other middle class areas along with middle/upper class blacks.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:49 PM

220 posts, read 125,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Neither of these options are good ideas. Haiti would be fine if other countries stopped messing with it.
Exactly, these non-Haitians need to stop spreading their misinformed opinions. Haitians don't want self-determination. Its the government, corrupt politicians and meddling core group holding the people back.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:36 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
haiti needs to be americanized and the population growth needs to be checked with birth control

Old 02-11-2020, 09:51 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
I agree it needs to do something about the population growth rate. For starters, it is statistically a crowded country and the people per square kilometer (or mile) statistic is from a national territory perspective. It doesn't takes into account that over 80% of the country is mountainous. That means that most of the population lives in the valleys and coastal plains which must have a much higher density than the national average. A country of that size can still accommodate its population by concentrating them in the major cities and encouraging high-rises and/or skyscrapers to house many, if not most urban dwellers. Whether high-rises are economically feasible at the average income level of most of the people is another story. Massive cities like Port-au-Prince has reach a land expansion that merits focusing on going up in the air to limit its territorial expansion and footprint. Haiti needs to control its population growth out of its own necessity. Otherwise its going to implode on itself. The current problems may take time and some may be difficult to solve, but still have a solution. Eventually, if it keeps growing with no checks and balances, there will be no solutions at all and that's a major problem.

As for becoming more Americanized, I think that is not desirable beyond copying the northern behemoth in its economic vibrancy and prosperity. Beyond that I think the Haitians love their Haitianess to even entertain for a minute the thought of changing it.

Like I said previously in this thread, anyone that suggests that Haitians should morph into something else completely and forget their culture is insane. The country can change economically and can become much calmer and more functioning politically, but it will not happen overnight. Any other changes truly depends on the will of the Haitian people and quite frankly, it goes against what they want. Chances of that happening is near zero and this is me being optimistic about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas