Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times

Advertisements

I went today on a day trip to Bisbee. It got me thinking about something... How come on this board we get questions about all kinds of obscure places in AZ (a lot of them not particularly desirable, IMHO), but nobody seems to be interested in Bisbee or Tombstone...? I'm aware that the employment there is not great, but neither it is in the other discussed places. The climate is wonderful (they're at elevations of 3,000+ and 4,000+ feet) and the scenery is quite beautiful. Not sure about real estate... It might be on the pricey side nowadays. Rentals are probably not plentiful. Either their marketing is not working or they're not particularly interested in new residents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 10:35 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I went today on a day trip to Bisbee. It got me thinking about something... How come on this board we get questions about all kinds of obscure places in AZ (a lot of them not particularly desirable, IMHO), but nobody seems to be interested in Bisbee or Tombstone...? I'm aware that the employment there is not great, but neither it is in the other discussed places. The climate is wonderful (they're at elevations of 3,000+ and 4,000+ feet) and the scenery is quite beautiful. Not sure about real estate... It might be on the pricey side nowadays. Rentals are probably not plentiful. Either their marketing is not working or they're not particularly interested in new residents!
Interesting observations, Sierra

Tombstone is fun place to visit with lots of character, neat saloons and a couple of cool places to eat but I doubt if anyone could possibly feel comfortable calling it home for a long period of time.

As for Bisbee, in spite of the physical beauty and great weather, sadly . . . STUCK IN A TIME WARP.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Old 09-01-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting observations, Sierra

Tombstone is fun place to visit with lots of character, neat saloons and a couple of cool places to eat but I doubt if anyone could possibly feel comfortable calling it home for a long period of time.

As for Bisbee, in spite of the physical beauty and great weather, sadly . . . STUCK IN A TIME WARP.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH
Granted, I haven't paid much attention to the real residential areas of Tombstone, but from a distance they don't appear to be bad... And you get a somewhat fun touristy downtown to go with it.

Why do you say Bisbee's in a time warp...? Because of all the antique stores? It's the same in Prescott and a lot of people are interested in it. Well, it is an old mining town, but I wouldn't call it a ghost town...

Both are a little overrun by the biker crowd. Maybe that doesn't appeal to everybody.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:09 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Granted, I haven't paid much attention to the real residential areas of Tombstone, but from a distance they don't appear to be bad... And you get a somewhat fun touristy downtown to go with it.

Why do you say Bisbee's in a time warp...? Because of all the antique stores? It's the same in Prescott and a lot of people are interested in it. Well, it is an old mining town, but I wouldn't call it a ghost town...

Both are a little overrun by the biker crowd. Maybe that doesn't appeal to everybody.
Bisbee reminds me of the old San Francisco Haight-Ashbury District with most residents "living in the past" and avoiding the reality of Today.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Bisbee reminds me of the old San Francisco Haight-Ashbury District with most residents "living in the past" and avoiding the reality of Today.
You know, I was thinking the same thing today looking at some people and overhearing their conversations. Well, the reality of today is not particularly pretty, so they've found a good escape, I'd say...

Old 09-02-2007, 06:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
I have to agree with both of you re: Bisbee---------it is very pretty but the vibe there leaves me a bit cold never mind that I am somewhat 'hippiesque' myself.

I prefer Sierra Vista for the basic attitude yet Tombstone feels the safest in the spiritual sense. Odd I know.

Perhaps due that I am more 'Conservative' than I care to admit to.

I really like Cochise County but 'something' keeps warning me to stay away let alone consider moving there. That phenomenom has been 'biting' me for the last ten years hence I dare not push my luck.

Come to find out: the water supply or the lack thereof is a huge problem.

OTOH: despite Mohave County being 'worse' on paper; I have had far, far fewer problems when living there------and, most of my issues, again, I failed to listen to my gut.

Tucson is another place where I have had nothing but trouble; I lived there twice and needless to say, I steer clear-------yet me and the Phoneix area get along

When I say 'trouble'; I am not referring to any legal hassles; more like employment/wages as well as flaky landlords.

Bottom line: things oftentimes ain't what they appear to be.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 22,086 times
I am retiring from Ohio and planning on moving to Tombstone soon. What is the availability of rental units? I am not looking to buy property. Just a studio or apartment for long term lease.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 11,044 times
Wow! You aren't talking about the Bisbee that I know at all. I went to Jr. High and High School in Bisbee then moved away for college. I lived 23 years in Scottsdale, Arizona. After raising two beautiful children and completing grad school, my husband and I have returned home to Bisbee and we are loving every minute of it!

There are wonderful people living here who have made Bisbee home for generations. I often marvel that all of Scottsdale runs off to northern AZ (fighting traffic the whole way) and few seem to know of the pleasures in southern AZ. I think it's a wonderful secret and I count myself lucky to have a wonderful life in Bisbee.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 16,709 times
Default Tombstone

We just built a house in Tombstone. We're quite excited about it because we have stayed a few times and travelled around AZ. We love the fun atmosphere of Tombstone, the weather, the sunsets.... We love the long roads of open space, the wonderful places we happen to find. We look forward to going back to Bisbee many times. It is a "Blast from the Past" but we found it evolving too. It may be an escape from the "real world" for some, but is the real world for many, and they're making it work!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 30,714 times
I loved Bisbee! Loved it. The only small town in Arizona with any real character. I would move there in a heartbeat if my career would permit. I was also surprised by Tombstone. It wasn't the "one horse town" that I thought it would be. But, I don't know as much about Tombstone.

When I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca I would spend alot of time in Bisbee. Every weekend I either spent with friends in Tempe or in Bisbee. I got to know a few people there. I loved it!

I was there in 1995. And I have to say that at that time there was a bit of a "Stuck in 1968" vibe, but not so much that it would prevent me from wanting to live there. Also, a lot of people moved there to raise kids. Those kids are now older and I'm sure that they've had an impact on the towns culture.

1995 was 12 years ago. I wonder how its changed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona