Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:54 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
I don't think anyone makes the argument that AZ isn't a beautiful state- it is. The problem that I and many other people have with it is the cesspool known as Maricopa County. Outside of that hellhole, the rest of AZ is terrific, IMO.
So true. The Valley is a sprawling, dusty dump that is trying its best to be as unappealing and soulless as Los Angeles.

That being said, Northern Arizona, especially Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, and the area around the Grand Canyon are some of the must beautiful parts of the country. Stunning areas but unfortunately, most of the permanent job possibilities are in and around Phoenix. Shame.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:03 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You leave a state with "6 months of crappy weather" to head directly into another state with "6 months of crappy weather". And if you think October, March and April are crappy in MI, then youll think Dec and Jan in AZ are crappy too (temps in 40s, 50s and 60s).
That is your opinion there.

I may cuss the heat------and, rightly so. But; it beats the 'you-know-what' out of living in some place like Wash DC. One need not shovel heat. Yes, I am aware of the skin cancer risk. Oh well. I got burned to a crisp in 4 seasons DC so Arizona is no worse IMHO. Nor did freezing my keister off in the winter there endear me either.

I am a native of that place so I can comment on it-------just that I took personal responsibility and left there when I was age 20 for warmer, sunnier climes

Bottom line; I do not head over to the Michigan, etc., boards putting down those states or the people who chose to live there.......many of 'em enjoy life there so more power to them

Old 12-15-2007, 09:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
Different strokes! There are millions of people who like doing "winter" stuff. I'm not just one of them.
Very well stated there!

I was never a snow bunny-------even as a 6 YO kid. I have always craved warmth, etc.

Yet; I have friends of mine who 'die' for the snow so I can respect that

Old 12-15-2007, 08:06 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
So true. The Valley is a sprawling, dusty dump that is trying its best to be as unappealing and soulless as Los Angeles.

That being said, Northern Arizona, especially Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, and the area around the Grand Canyon are some of the must beautiful parts of the country. Stunning areas but unfortunately, most of the permanent job possibilities are in and around Phoenix. Shame.
As scenic as Sedona/Oak Creek is, I have found many people in that area to be quite snobbish ... basically wealthy hippies (1960s leftovers) who are into the artsy/fartsy way of life. Also quite a few NIMBY types up there who raised a fuss about the main highway being widened. They wanted it to remain two lanes so it wouldn't disturb "THEIR" environment. Obviously the NIMBYs with their tunnel vision didn't realize that a wider road would give them more TOURISTS, who are a vital part of Sedona's economy.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:10 PM

89 posts, read 100,086 times
Sheesh, lot's of generalizations in this thread.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
As scenic as Sedona/Oak Creek is, I have found many people in that area to be quite snobbish ... basically wealthy hippies (1960s leftovers) who are into the artsy/fartsy way of life. Also quite a few NIMBY types up there who raised a fuss about the main highway being widened. They wanted it to remain two lanes so it wouldn't disturb "THEIR" environment. Obviously the NIMBYs with their tunnel vision didn't realize that a wider road would give them more TOURISTS, who are a vital part of Sedona's economy.
Perhaps they are NIMBY because they know that "environment" is what makes the place so special. There are plenty of people visiting Sedona BECAUSE of that "environment," even with the small highway into the town. In fact, an argument could be made that such limited roadway construction is part of the reason the Sedona area is the wonderful place it is today. God help them if they start building a bunch of 101's or huge 7 lane grid roadways.

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with the residents' emphasis on preservation. I know they have also done a lot keep their mainstreet and offer free shuttles. Perhaps if the Valley had such concerns and a few more NIMBYs, it wouldn't be the place it is right now.

And that "artsy/fartsy" is called culture. It adds to Sedona's charm and uniqueness. Much better than miles and miles of chain restaurants and strip malls.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:56 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,305,683 times
So basically, what irwin is saying is that he likes Arizona as long as it is picture perfect for him driving through. Boutique towns, tourist traps, trophy homes = good. Real places where real people live from all walks of life = bad. Ok, I get it now.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:52 AM

461 posts, read 1,809,777 times
Thumbs down Bad day in West Bloomfield, Michigan

Woke up to over a foot of snow with drifts of over 3 feet surrounding my house. Streets aren't plowed. Can't leave the house. Wow, it really is a winter wonderland. Although it does look quite beautiful I still have to say bah humbug! I hate winter!!!!! I wish I lived in AZ!!!!!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:22 AM

329 posts, read 1,276,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Ok, I have to say that I don't agree with your statement that folks in Sedona/Oak Creek are quite snobbish. We are relatively new here and I have found folks to be quite friendly and welcoming. We do have quite a diverse population up here; retirees, new agers, some aging hippies, cowboy types etc. In the retiree group you have folks from all over the country. It all makes it quite interesting.

I would agree that 179 did need to be improved. A lot of the controversy is over the roundabouts vs traffic lights. The jury is still out for me on that. Roundabouts can be confusing but they do keep traffic moving. I think you get NIMBY behavior everywhere. I don't think it is any better or worse here. I do believe the folks here have a deep appreciation for the natural beauty that exists here and feel a deep responsibility to protect it. They do appreciate the value of the tourist and want to keep attracting them.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
So basically, what irwin is saying is that he likes Arizona as long as it is picture perfect for him driving through. Boutique towns, tourist traps, trophy homes = good. Real places where real people live from all walks of life = bad. Ok, I get it now.
Hah, hah.

What I am saying is that places where residents make a concerted effort to improve their community or keep their community appealing are the most desirable places to visit/live. This shouldn't be a surprise as the same thing happens on a local scale within a community (e.g. driving down a street where people don't mow their lawns or park their cars in their yard isn't very appealing).

Certain communities sacrifice things (yes sacrifice) to keep the place aesthetically pleasing and thus the quality of life higher. Washington D.C., for example, could have built a series of large freeways through the center of the city in the 1970's as most other large American cities at the time were doing. Instead, the city made a choice to build the Metro system to protect city neighborhoods that are so often destroyed by freeways (just look at Detroit). This is part of the reason D.C. is an appealing place to live and, frankly, it shows in the real estate prices in and around the city. Some will call this NIMBY (which of course has a negative connotation) but I think it is a positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona