Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM

53 posts, read 97,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
You are sort of freaking out about it, because your home state is a shall issue state, meaning, any resident who is legally able and applies for a concealed carry permit, will be issued one. Basically, you're among guns in public right at home in Oregon. You'd be surprised who is carrying them, just like here. All types of people. Moms, old ladies, men, young adults, middle aged people, whoever.

If you are wondering about your son, read up on the law and just explain that you're moving to a different place and they have different laws. Downtown and in the densely populated areas it's not too common to see people open carrying, but I do see it from time to time.

Also please keep in mind that although things may seem crazy to you, they worked before you got here to share your opinion about how crazy you think they are as an outsider. Once you live here for a little while you'll forget about it entirely, because there is no day to day difference here from anywhere else.
Well, I won't lie and say that I like the idea of AZ's loose gun laws...but I promise, I'm not freaking out about it, either. When I said I never see people carrying here, I meant where I currently live. But I did grow up in eastern Oregon, where hunting was huge, so I've definitely seen my fair share of rifles and whatnot. But people walking around a grocery store with a gun on their hip...not so much.

Also, the only thing I referred to as 'crazy' was the idea that people are allowed to have assault rifles (AK-47's)...yes, that is crazy to me. It doesn't matter that it's Arizona...I'm sure plenty of states allow it. I think it's crazy, anywhere. But this thread isn't about that. I was just responding to you.

Anyway, about my son, yeah, I'm going to talk to him about it before we move. I just wanted to understand a little better what we could expect to see. And like I said, we never see any "open carry" here - I don't know if Oregon has a law about open carry that is the reason we don't see it...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM

53 posts, read 97,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
This is exactly why our "loose" gun laws help to deter crime. The criminals are wondering the same thing you are.......................
That is true

However, I did read that Arizona has about 5 more gun deaths per 100,000 than Oregon......................

Old 08-14-2012, 01:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie99 View Post
Well, I won't lie and say that I like the idea of AZ's loose gun laws...but I promise, I'm not freaking out about it, either. When I said I never see people carrying here, I meant where I currently live. But I did grow up in eastern Oregon, where hunting was huge, so I've definitely seen my fair share of rifles and whatnot. But people walking around a grocery store with a gun on their hip...not so much.

Also, the only thing I referred to as 'crazy' was the idea that people are allowed to have assault rifles (AK-47's)...yes, that is crazy to me. It doesn't matter that it's Arizona...I'm sure plenty of states allow it. I think it's crazy, anywhere. But this thread isn't about that. I was just responding to you.

Anyway, about my son, yeah, I'm going to talk to him about it before we move. I just wanted to understand a little better what we could expect to see. And like I said, we never see any "open carry" here - I don't know if Oregon has a law about open carry that is the reason we don't see it...?
Oregon is an open carry state also--no permit required. Most people who carry in either state, don't do it in the open, but some do. Not much day to day difference between Oregon and Arizona except that we don't require a permit to carry a gun concealed. In AZ, you have the right to do it if legally able, in Oregon, you will be permitted if legally able and if you elect to apply.

The rumors about Arizona as a gun toting state are blown out of proportion, IMO, as a result of people having the right to carry without having to file for a permit. And there is also a large media bias against Arizona because of immigration. So AZ gets incorrectly billed as a place where "everyone" carries guns and dislikes Mexicans. Like any media frenzy, most are built on a bit of truth and a whole lot of spin.

Here is something that may surprise you since you implied that Oregon, being a left-leaning state, would have less people carrying guns: When Arizona was still a state that required a permit to carry concealed (a couple of years ago), Oregon had a higher percentage of adults holding CCW permits, than did Arizona, and still does today. Arizona issued 3.6%, crunchy left leaning Oregon 5.1%, Washington 7.1%, Iowa 10.9%, Georgia 11.5%, Utah... 19.3%. (Source: GAO)

Arizona's numbers may have fallen because there is the constitutional carry right today, but reciprocity still requires a permit in most states that honor it.

I'd suggest that to overcome the gun anxiety, you move here and live for a while, and you'll see that it's not really any different than anywhere else, in terms of the subject of your anxiety.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie99 View Post
That is true

However, I did read that Arizona has about 5 more gun deaths per 100,000 than Oregon......................
Stefanie, As I grew up in the loony bin called CA I get what you're saying but learned a whole lot when I broadened my horizons living in very rural areas. The one thing I'd wish people who are of your opinion would do is don't hate guns, they're a very useful tool especially when you need one (like a hammer). What you should direct your ire to is the people who use that tool in bad ways. Just like if a person was to take a hammer and beat someone's head in (which happens) are you going to hate hammers or the person who used it for bad?
I really don't mind open carry as I know it's not there to be used against me.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 AM

44 posts, read 133,984 times
This coming from an enthusiast in Maryland (not a firearm friendly state) who is likely to be relocating to AZ soon, just passing along a recent story as it relates to this subject...

As a sidleine, I bounce in bars on the weekend. I work for a private security contractor and am currently running security in the bar I'm assigned to. This weekend I had a new bouncer staffed on the crew who seemed to work out OK for the evening, but not a "go to" guy. He lives in downtown Baltimore which is very liberally dominated. Per popular opinion in his area he is "anti gun". The new fella and I got along well through the night as I do with just about everyone. Another bouncer and I were talking about a potential trip to the range. Starving to have something to contribute to the conversation he said, "Hey, did you hear about the new law where you can buy AK's now?" There is no such "new" law and AK variants have been available for legal purchase in Maryland for some time though they are a "restricted" weapon requiring an 8 day waiting period to obtain. There's also some nonsense magazine capacity regulations that I won't get into. I politely corrected him by informing him there was nothing "new" about it and that you've been able to own them for some time. He insisted I was incorrect so I showed him some pictures of my Kalashnikov and AR. I acquried the Kalashnikov some 12 years ago and the AR about a year and a half ago. Seeing their aggressive profile, 30 round mags, and black color he immediately went on the defensive saying, "That is CRAZY! There's no reason to have something like that! What do you need that for???" I calmly replied, "I don't NEED them, I want them. And since I'm a law abiding citizen legally entitled to purchase them, I did...and they're a BLAST to shoot "

A polite exchange regarding range time, safe practice, appropriate hunting forearms, ...etc then followed with him asking reasonable questions but not budging from his position in the slightest. Which was all well and good as I wasn't attempting to change the man. I just figured I'd inform him with good and true information from a responsible and informed source since he likely doesn't have access to such an individual in his usual circles. At the end of about a 10 minute exchange, he still wrinkled his nose at the pictures when he asked to look at them one last time. In parting we shook hands and I welcomed him back on staff if I needed a fill in from time to time. As he walked towards the door he turned around and said, "Man that stuff's crazy but if the sh*t ever hits the fan, I'm standing behind YOU!!"

I thanked him for making the argument I wasn't even attempting to win...

Old 08-18-2012, 11:55 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.R.V.E View Post
So I just turned 18 and I want to get a hand gun?? What do I need? Can someone help me with this
Money and probably a state issue ID.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:57 PM

363 posts, read 929,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donklass View Post
I am a Canadian citizen who spends the winters in Az . I own a home in Az. I also have official Az I.D.
Can I legally purchase a firearm in Az being a bona fide resident?
It's been a while since you posted this partner and you did not get a proper response. The answer is unfortunately YES. You as a temporary "resident" and visitor in the great state of Arizona...can purchase a firearm legally as long as you have a valid AZ hunting license. Getting a hunting license is a joke, they are available at all Walmarts and similar stores.

As far as describing yourself a bonafied resident... you are pushing it . A resident is someone with an I-551 aka greencard issued by DHS/USCIS. Don't challenge me on this, I retired from the aforementioned Agency.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:40 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,014 times
The question in AZ for those that carry like I do is just how many people are really doing it? Sure it's easy to see a guy or gal with a gun on their hip in a store or bank carrying openly.
But within this state you can also carry concealed legally without a permit like I do. So how do you count those. You have no idea just who is carrying and who is not for that matter. I carry a Ruger 9 MM, 18 shots of LEO type ammo myself.
I have noticed in my life that in states where carrying is easier for people that you seem to have less overall violence. it may not be true on all cases but that's what I think.
I have carried in other states with permits and been shooting since I was 6 or so. I also served 6 years in the Army 1966-72 and I practice today at least once a month. Used to hunt but too old for that now. But I refuse to have one of these "nuts" as such open up on me without me having a chance to take some sort of action. Hey, I might get killed in the process but I refuse to lay down and wait for someone to shoot me without the ability to do something about it.
I think that everyone ought to be prepared to take matters in their own hands. I respect LEO but their response times can be slow and just because they show up does not mean the threat to your life is over. Statistics have shown this over and over.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:44 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,355,517 times
I heard yesterday that Phoenix has 113 murders in 2015, which was the lowest number since the late 80s. I guess the surge in gun sales and relaxing of carry laws haven't caused much trouble. I carry all the time, everywhere I don't see a metal detector. I live my life under the assumption that every person I see is armed.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:50 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,014 times
And the deaths are even less in the less populated areas of AZ.
Phoenix may have the largest population but by far it does not represent AZ.
Metal detectors? I could care less when I am carrying legally. If the property is not posted "no weapons" or not part of the prohibited carry area like schools or hospitals I carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona