Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I made a mistake. There will be senate elections for McCain's seat in 2020 (special) and again in 2022 (not 2024) which would be the end of his term. FWIW, Grant Woods who has been a prominent Arizona republican and is a former attorney general changed his party affiliation this week to Dem. I think he will go for the Senate seat as well. Woods backed Sinema in the election and appeared in her ads.
Woods did that for DuVal in the last election too. I agree, he’s setting up to run for office

Old 11-12-2018, 08:27 PM

444 posts, read 322,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
McSally would/will be to the right of the center of Republicans in the Senate if/when Ducey appoints her.
I would put her to the left of the center of Republicans in the Senate, but just a different viewpoint. The Senate Conservative Fund wasn't raising money for her like other Senators who won in this race like Cruz, Blackburn, Braun and Hawley.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:47 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I made a mistake. There will be senate elections for McCain's seat in 2020 (special) and again in 2022 (not 2024) which would be the end of his term. FWIW, Grant Woods who has been a prominent Arizona republican and is a former attorney general changed his party affiliation this week to Dem. I think he will go for the Senate seat as well. Woods backed Sinema in the election and appeared in her ads.
Quite interesting. And I knew what you meant on dates. McCain was last elected in 2016 so his term would be up in 2022. FWIW, McCain won that race by 13 points.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:49 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,959,085 times
Congratulations Arizona!

Old 11-12-2018, 10:51 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
For one, her willingness to work across the aisle, which is a rare thing these days.
A lot of dems ran on willing to work with across the aisle. Once they win and get into office, they end up becoming party hacks for the DNC

Old 11-12-2018, 11:56 PM

83 posts, read 73,423 times
Glad the official tallying is over and we have our winner. Congrats to Sinema. I was a little worried for her in the beginning with McSally's starting (but very slight) lead over her but she made it happen in the end. Too bad Ducey didn't run against someone who wouldn't have given up and would've campaigned harder as I wouldn't have minded seeing him gone after the Red for Ed debacle, but it is what it is. Maybe next time someone persistent and determined will step up to the plate.

Hope everybody in this thread has a good night.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:07 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Now I'll sleep better, knowing McSilly, I mean McSally, won't be our representative in the Senate. A wasted trip for Trump!

Old 11-13-2018, 03:58 AM

364 posts, read 496,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
They also sent 5 Rs. Of those 5 Dems, 1 seat was flipped because she ran for the Senate (had she stayed anti-Trump and stayed put she likely would have kept her seat), and the other was the Senate seat and McSally ran the worst campaign possible (going hard Trump is a losing strategy in this red state, see McCain and Flake).

All incumbents held their seats and the blue areas went back to blue as expected. McSally only won that seat because she was anti Trump to begin with so it isn't some Arizona is turning purple/blue nonsense that people have been claiming for a decade or more.

GoP won: Govenor, AG, Sec of State, Treasurer, US House seats went 5/9, State Senate seats went 17/28, State House is currently 30/60 with a few uncalled races but the GoP will very likely hold control there.

The US House district map (approved in 2012) currently favors Democrats (no Republicans voted in favor of it), and they still can't get a majority of seats. We have a "fair" redistricting commission that draws our maps. I put fair in quotes because whoever wins over the single "independent" will control how the map is drawn.
This is not correct. With the current election the AZ delegation will be 5 Dem and 4 GOP. Katie Hobbs is now leading as SOS and will likely end up with more votes as SOS. Some counting continues so we don't know the outcome of all state elections yet; however, Rep will retain control of the AZ Senate.

Dem Sandra Kennedy is the leading vote recipient for Corporate Commission.

The House map was not drawn by Dems to favor them. It was done by the Independent Redistricting Commission. Dems had 2 safe seats - AZ 3 and AZ 7. GOP had 4 safe seats - AZ 4, AZ 5, AZ 6 and AZ 8. The map was drawn with 3 potential swing districts AZ 1, AZ 2 and AZ 9.

AZ 9 is Sinema's old district and she first won there running as a moderate, but it includes Tempe and has been trending more Dem over the last decade. AZ 2 is McSally's old district and it is still very much a swing district - It was really close when she lost to Barber by a couple thousand votes then beat him by less than 200. She won reelection handily in 2016, but likely would have lost to Ann Kirkpatrick this year based on her healthcare votes.

AZ 1is Kirkpatrick's old district she vacated to run for Senate. It is still a swing district that could be won by either party depending on where the votes come from. The tribes support the Dem, but Pinal county favors the GOP. Kirkpatrick likely won in 2012 due to the Libertarian taking votes from the GOP and only won by 1.6% in 2014. She/O'Halleran have expanded that margin since then.

A stronger campaign from Garcia would have made the Gov race closer, but Ducey is pretty popular. AZ is a swing state and more votes were cast for DEM for the US house and Senate. Maricopa voted for Sinema. This is a huge shift. Time will tell if this is an anomaly or Maricopa is moving like the rest of the most populous urban counties in America.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:30 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I beg your pardon?

This is the guy who passed a law granting churches more tax write-offs on buildings they rented, while refusing to take any action on the public school budget within the state?

The needs of churches were put before teachers and schools?

That's not far-right???

Outside of Arizona, Alabama, Kentucky and Mississippi, that's very, very far-right!
I'm not going to argue politics, but I'm only going to say that you're assuming the Governor has more power than he actually has. The Governor does not pass laws. That's why there's a legislature.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:34 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,814,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
I'm not going to argue politics, but I'm only going to say that you're assuming the Governor has more power than he actually has. The Governor does not pass laws. That's why there's a legislature.
I should probably note that the latest results I saw has the state senate at 17R-13D and state house at 31R-29D.

Some form of compromise will have to happen to get any law through both chambers (for any major legislation that'll get people really involved at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona