Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 09:33 AM

13,755 posts, read 8,014,399 times

Advertisements

O.k. went to the pot shop off University and Higley in East Mesa last night. The shop was very busy. Went in with a friend visiting from Cal.

First thing I notice were the outrageous prices. $330 for an ounce of pot. Granted it was very good quality but still...

Ended up buying a package of two very small brownies which were on sale for $9.50.

Wife ate 1/2 of one brownie and friend the other 1 and 1/2. Friend is still sleeping and I assume he was up half the night high as a kite watching TV.

I stopped drinking and doing drugs almost three decades ago. However, if I were smoking pot I would be growing it in small area of my back yard. Perfect weather to do so in AZ. Forget buying it

Friend's brothers had been growing pot for almost 25 years in various homes in the Bay Area. Made a small fortune each year selling to private cliental. The new laws in Cal. basically put them out of business but not to worry. The homes they bought since starting their pot enterprise are worth over 1 million dollars each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 10:01 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,424,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
As a former pot smoker (many years ago) and as a current resident of CO who is soon moving to AZ...

For anyone who does not know:

1. Regarding worries about stoned drivers. They are less likely to WANT to get behind the wheel than those who drink (drinkers get that "I can do what I want!" belligerence going on) but when they do, they don't so much speed or drive aggressively, what they do is drive stoopid. Like too slow, or lingering at stop signs or lights. When I come up on someone who is driving way slower than they ought around here, I think to myself, "Are you old, or stoned?" Which brings me to a point, they are actually probably more like your elderly who are at a point they shouldn't still have their license, than they are a drunk person. Not good, no, but like in many ways, alcohol has it beat for the sheer amount of likely harm done.

2. With any luck the number of states legalizing will prevent one of the worse effects that Colorado had to deal with being one of the early adopters. We had a lot of people wander into the state thinking that they were gonna work in the pot industry somehow just because they loved to smoke it. Like, no actual agriculture experience, never been able to hold any other kind of a job, just very excited about weed and believing that someone might pay them to be a hippie. Nnnnope. They ended up on corners holding carboard signs, a lot of 'em. It took a while but I think that effect has finally simmered down.

3. Annoying hipsters. Do you guys have the craft beer people? Or did you experience that trend where dudes were smoking fancy tobacco out of hookahs or pipes? Say hello to the pot hipsters. They literally do not ever talk about anything else. And they aren't great at understanding that people who don't partake, don't care about what nifty new strain they tried, or how they are getting into "wax" or whatever and how many times exactly does one need to have the difference between indica and sativa explained? I get it. It's your thing. I supported legalization for political and philosophical reasons. But I just...don't...care...

4. Be careful driving your car with AZ plates into any neighboring states that still strictly prohibit weed. For the longest, troopers in some of our states to the east were convinced that anyone driving from Colorado was likely some kind of big bust waiting to happen.

But congrats though, to those who are happy and benefiting from the new rec. weed. And especially to those who are getting relief from pain or health issues from cannabis products.
As a border state to CO, I can confirm. I'm in NE WY..i hear reports that Ft Collins, closest to our border, is rife with various types of investigators taking note of who is crossing the border for quick turnaround. They feel Denver is much more discrete and safe. Heard it is big business in Trinidad with quick trips, too. And according to an attorney in Lubbock, they have a large caseload in every rural County coming from CO....She's been billing for lots of travel time...Used to be the same way with the Florida plates on I95.they would even make an effort to get them in the act of crossing a state line and throw them to the Feds.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:08 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,424,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
O.k. went to the pot shop off University and Higley in East Mesa last night. The shop was very busy. Went in with a friend visiting from Cal.

First thing I notice were the outrageous prices. $330 for an ounce of pot. Granted it was very good quality but still...

Ended up buying a package of two very small brownies which were on sale for $9.50.

Wife ate 1/2 of one brownie and friend the other 1 and 1/2. Friend is still sleeping and I assume he was up half the night high as a kite watching TV.

I stopped drinking and doing drugs almost three decades ago. However, if I were smoking pot I would be growing it in small area of my back yard. Perfect weather to do so in AZ. Forget buying it

Friend's brothers had been growing pot for almost 25 years in various homes in the Bay Area. Made a small fortune each year selling to private cliental. The new laws in Cal. basically put them out of business but not to worry. The homes they bought since starting their pot enterprise are worth over 1 million dollars each.
330 would be 41.25 per 1/8..historically that is less than you would pay for KGB, especially in AZ, but some of the so called high end..like the Girl Scout Cookies is all show and not as good as the better Mex at a few bucks per g.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
As a former pot smoker (many years ago) and as a current resident of CO who is soon moving to AZ...

For anyone who does not know:

1. Regarding worries about stoned drivers. They are less likely to WANT to get behind the wheel than those who drink (drinkers get that "I can do what I want!" belligerence going on) but when they do, they don't so much speed or drive aggressively, what they do is drive stoopid. Like too slow, or lingering at stop signs or lights. When I come up on someone who is driving way slower than they ought around here, I think to myself, "Are you old, or stoned?" Which brings me to a point, they are actually probably more like your elderly who are at a point they shouldn't still have their license, than they are a drunk person. Not good, no, but like in many ways, alcohol has it beat for the sheer amount of likely harm done.

2. With any luck the number of states legalizing will prevent one of the worse effects that Colorado had to deal with being one of the early adopters. We had a lot of people wander into the state thinking that they were gonna work in the pot industry somehow just because they loved to smoke it. Like, no actual agriculture experience, never been able to hold any other kind of a job, just very excited about weed and believing that someone might pay them to be a hippie. Nnnnope. They ended up on corners holding carboard signs, a lot of 'em. It took a while but I think that effect has finally simmered down.

3. Annoying hipsters. Do you guys have the craft beer people? Or did you experience that trend where dudes were smoking fancy tobacco out of hookahs or pipes? Say hello to the pot hipsters. They literally do not ever talk about anything else. And they aren't great at understanding that people who don't partake, don't care about what nifty new strain they tried, or how they are getting into "wax" or whatever and how many times exactly does one need to have the difference between indica and sativa explained? I get it. It's your thing. I supported legalization for political and philosophical reasons. But I just...don't...care...

4. Be careful driving your car with AZ plates into any neighboring states that still strictly prohibit weed. For the longest, troopers in some of our states to the east were convinced that anyone driving from Colorado was likely some kind of big bust waiting to happen.

But congrats though, to those who are happy and benefiting from the new rec. weed. And especially to those who are getting relief from pain or health issues from cannabis products.

That's such bull****. I never knew anyone who smoked pot including myself that didn't drive while they were high. People are going to get stoned and drive. No question about it and when they do they are a danger to others.

However, there's not much that can be done anymore than can be done about those who drink/drive except to be extra careful while driving esp. on the weekends.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:58 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Quote:
That's such bull****. I never knew anyone who smoked pot including myself that didn't drive while they were high. People are going to get stoned and drive. No question about it and when they do they are a danger to others.

However, there's not much that can be done anymore than can be done about those who drink/drive except to be extra careful while driving esp. on the weekends.
That's you and your friends.

I know plenty of people who refrain from driving.

When I was a pothead teenager, I did not even want to leave my home. I didn't like the paranoia factor of being in public.

Thing is though, I have known people who rarely use cannabis, or who manage it in a way that it is truly "recreational" who get HIGH when they do and a cop could probably get a good look at them or do a sobriety test of some kind and be able to tell. That was me as a young person, and I think those who go full on goofball would probably rather stay at home and enjoy their experience. I was always well aware of how messed up I was, and I didn't want to do anything that would tax me. I would not have tried to ride a bike, let alone drive (though I did not have a license or car then anyways.)

But then there are many I know who use it daily, and it's different with them. They don't act high anymore. It's more like prozac or some kind of meds, where if they go off the stuff they get very irritable and they use it to manage their mood. It might relieve pain or help them to sleep, but they no longer get goofy or munchies or any of the classic "whee I'm stoned, isn't this fun, everything is hilarious" effects anymore. Long term daily users tend to get to this point, in my observation. And they probably are not all that impaired to drive, honestly. But I have no idea how a cop could prove that they are under the influence.

It was my understanding, but I'm willing to be corrected if I am wrong, that there are tests to detect if you have had THC in your system at any recent time (within weeks) but there is not a test the way there is for blood alcohol, that can prove that you are presently under mind altering influence of cannabis. And that was one of the bigger concerns that people had when it was legalized, how it could be established in court the way that alcohol can be. Did they ever solve that problem?

Old 07-01-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:

When I was a pothead teenager, I did not even want to leave my home. I didn't like the paranoia factor of being in public.

Thing is though, I have known people who rarely use cannabis, or who manage it in a way that it is truly "recreational" who get HIGH when they do and a cop could probably get a good look at them or do a sobriety test of some kind and be able to tell. That was me as a young person, and I think those who go full on goofball would probably rather stay at home and enjoy their experience. I was always well aware of how messed up I was, and I didn't want to do anything that would tax me. I would not have tried to ride a bike, let alone drive (though I did not have a license or car then anyways.)

But then there are many I know who use it daily, and it's different with them. They don't act high anymore. It's more like prozac or some kind of meds, where if they go off the stuff they get very irritable and they use it to manage their mood. It might relieve pain or help them to sleep, but they no longer get goofy or munchies or any of the classic "whee I'm stoned, isn't this fun, everything is hilarious" effects anymore. Long term daily users tend to get to this point, in my observation. And they probably are not all that impaired to drive, honestly. But I have no idea how a cop could prove that they are under the influence.

It was my understanding, but I'm willing to be corrected if I am wrong, that there are tests to detect if you have had THC in your system at any recent time (within weeks) but there is not a test the way there is for blood alcohol, that can prove that you are presently under mind altering influence of cannabis. And that was one of the bigger concerns that people had when it was legalized, how it could be established in court the way that alcohol can be. Did they ever solve that problem?

Again no doubt about it. A LOT of people are going to drive while they are high.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Again no doubt about it. A LOT of people are going to drive while they are high.
Weed being legal has little to no effect on that. It’s always been very easy to obtain.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:45 PM

[quote=DetroitN8V;61365928] Weed being legal has little to no effect on that. It’s always been very easy to obtain.

Of course it does. The ability to get high is now legal and weed much simpler to obtain. The casual or regular user can now pick up a few pre-rolled joints, an ounce, brownies, gumdrops or whatever they want, whenever they want. The regular or heavy user in turn can grow pot on their property. (It's not law enforcement the grower need worry about but thieves.)

The legalization of pot was inevitable. However, let's not pretend there won't be problems esp. diving under the influence.

For the first time, there’s hard evidence that more and more people are driving high in Colorado.
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/01/...rests-alcohol/

Last edited by john3232; 07-02-2021 at 12:33 AM..

Old 07-02-2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:

I don't care why a person elects to get high or how often as long as they don't get behind the wheel of a car.

It was my understanding, but I'm willing to be corrected if I am wrong, that there are tests to detect if you have had THC in your system at any recent time (within weeks) but there is not a test the way there is for blood alcohol, that can prove that you are presently under mind altering influence of cannabis.

...Make no mistake: Even if you live in a state where marijuana is legal, driving under the influence of weed is still against the law. While evidence shows that drunk drivers are, in general, more dangerous than stoned ones, marijuana slows reaction times and impairs judgment. In Washington state, fatal crashes involving stoned drivers more than doubled in 2014, after marijuana was decriminalized. It can be hard for police to prove you were driving while high...
https://www.compare.com/ways-to-save...rugged-driving

Until now...

The new tool available to police, which will allow faster assessment of a driver’s state, is called the Dräger DrugTest 5000. Using a mouth swab to determine whether a driver is high on weed, it has already been employed at checkpoints in Los Angeles, San Diego, and New York City, and in parts of Arizona and Nevada.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...high/39894187/

So, again fire up, get high... but don't drive. The same with drinking. And if caught I have no sympathy. I fully support strict laws against driving under the influence.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:23 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Congrats Arizona!

When recreational became legal in Illinois, I thought I'd see clouds of marijuana smoke on every corner, thought people in line at the grocery store would be stoned and reek of weed, thought already slow drivers would drive even slower. None of that ever happened (except for maybe the last part, it seems people are in no rush to get anywhere in this part of Illinois.)

I tried my very first edibles a few weeks ago. A hybrid, an even mix of Indica and Sativa, I found 10mg to be perfect, and really enjoyed it. A 50mg chocolate bar was $10.00. I only ate half of it as I didn't want the THC to stay in my system for very long. Thanks to drug testing, it's something I can't enjoy unless I have a long vacation planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona