Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpiperx View Post
We moved here from Northern CA back in 2007 and we were GLAD to get away from Bay Area traffic, gangs, graffiti, and just CRAP! We've always lived in "big cities" and were actually quite nervous about coming down to an area that we had never been to! I'm glad that my husband took the job(he's still there at the radio station!)and we LOVE it here!

As for the people...HELLLLOOO... you are less than 5 miles from the Mexican border..what in the world do you expect? I've picked up on my Spanish and I've made amazing friends here! We are a family that has a great church and plenty of stuff to do!

If I was single, then probably Yuma wouldn't be for me...but for families, it's very affordable and fun...and yes, we are ONLY 2 hrs from San Diego...great way to get out of that HEAT..we just went through our 2nd summer here...gets easier and it goes...

This year there are more people here(I believe because of the Marine base)I was working in Retail and went to work for a school here......

Yuma is what YOU make it..if YOU want to be miserable, then guess what? YOU will probably succeed! If YOU want to have a great time....you can always make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.....

Are some people rude here? Absolutely! I would be too....if I was treated like "dirt" and misunderstood...maybe stop and chat to a "local" and find out about them, eh?

Also, as for the winter visitors, well last winter was our first and I have to say, it was the WEIRDEST experience! We actually had a Canadian couple offer to "pay us $1000" to "use" our convertable while they were here....they walked right up to us and were MAD that we said NO!!!!! Yes, they expected us to be so overjoyed that we would just "hand them our keys" and walk away for 3 months! In fact, they came up to our driveway and started looking into our car....

Also, a woman came up to my children (they are bi-racial)and my youngest was in the basket, and she just walked right up to my daughter and started playing w/her hair! Again, BIZARRE behavior.....

They do feel like they "own" this town and I don't let them get to me....

Yuma IS growing....and it's always going to be a great place to shop and visit and with the current economy...well, it doesn't seem to hit here...we are booming!

So, for families, I say "YES" come on down for singles...well I only know of the Marine base and not any "clubs" if that is your scene...however, there are some very cute men that attend our church......
What church do you go to? I am looking for a church in Yuma where I can meet people in my age group. I am 28.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,283 times
Default Quick -and take you with you when you go!

Gosh, I have lived all over Orange County, CA and Atlanta, GA, and Wellton to Phx. but I have come home to Yuma. Who is kidding who? Crime is an issue everywhere! Each of us have needed to become more & more aware of what is going on around us.

Of course the summers are hot here - it helps burn off the leftover visitors and allows us to prepare for the next season so we can gleefully welcome them back .

Perhaps the complainers should stand in front of a mirror to get a good look at what they really do not like. The bad news for you is that no matter where you go you will be disappointed because you have to take you with you.

Tell me, what did you do that made people need to respond to you in a rude manner? I am Scotts/Irish - German descent, but I am bananas about my Mexican grandson who is a Marine in Iraq. He is smart, handsome, and a true hero. He spent much of his life in California and Georgia and his friends are black, Asian, Hispanic and Caucasian. I bet that you would be a lot less disappointed with life if you were as nice as he is. He is happy where ever he is - then so am I !

Old 10-26-2008, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,283 times
Sorry, that was for a complainer on another page!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 AM

50 posts, read 295,876 times
Default church home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
What church do you go to? I am looking for a church in Yuma where I can meet people in my age group. I am 28.
Sorry, it took so long for a response...we attend Champion Church..in fact on Halloween we are having a "Pirate Show" @6:30 and Trunks n Treats from that time until 8:30...it is FUN.....

We also have 4 services on Sundays

9:00 am
10:15 am
11:30 am
12:45 pm

You should try it out...it's an amazing place and there is always plenty to do!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:29 PM

14 posts, read 30,822 times
I'll just say there are good and bad to everything. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Yuma. Maybe it's because I'm from a big city and have lived in larger metropolitan areas for the last 15 years. I came on the recommendation of a relative who has been here for eight years. I'll just say that if a person was used to small town living and the ways and mentality of a small town then one would probably like it here. But, if a person liked ethnic diversity, nightlife, culinary variety and multi-cultural opportunities then Yuma is not for them. By the way I lived in New York City and Washington, DC and in London for a couple of years so I may be a bit bias . LOL

Old 12-01-2008, 08:08 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed303 View Post
BEWARE - Yuma is no place to live. Please read and re-read the posting from Old Surrender here. This is soooo true. I also moved here straight out of college to take a job. I have regretted the move from my first week here. I am making my escape in August - FOR SURE. It is too hot and yes, an air conditioner can help, but you will pay for the privilege of trying not to fry in the heat. The electricity is not cheap.
The hispanic people here are soo rude - maybe it's the heat? The snowbirds are pushy and really terrible drivers.
I would say run, not walk, away from Yuma as fast as you can. There is nothing here for you unless you want a hot, rude, nasty, smelly place to live.
this is all true and there is much more, please read all the threads on yuma its hell here, and ac is not enough. its horrible here at least 6 months out of the year. it gets tiresome having nothing but sun and heat day after day. its nice nov, dec, jan, feb and march. thats it. that is why snowbirds leave in april. no jobs and boring as heck! oh yeah and smelly i sooooo hear that! have you been by that trailer park out towards the foothills across from circle k and chevron on 32nd? omg the smell is horific out there!!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashback451 View Post
I moved away from Yuma after 4 years there and have no regrets about leaving. Returning to visit friends in the more tolerable winter months will be fine, I'm just glad I don't have to live there year-round through the summers anymore. If I were to live in Yuma again it would probably be somewhere in the foothills where you are less likely to wake up with graffiti on your property.
well - i lived right by foothills blvd and still woke to graffiti on our wall! its getting out there too

Old 12-01-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebels71 View Post
I am looking at relocate to yuma after spending the last 18 months in Midland before that I lived and worked in Galveston Texas, I don't think the dry heat of 115 would bother me that much as Midland gets to 105 to 110 in the summer, as long as I don't have to deal with single digit to low teens in the winter I am happy, and no humidity, sounds perfect to me, I just visited Galveston over Memorial weekend and came back to Midland, developed Pneumonia from going from a high desert to the coast and back too fast. I will be working at the hospital there as they are actively recruiting for what I do so work will not be an issue, sounds like there is plenty to do compared to midland, in Yuma it takes only 3 to 4 hours to go to Vegas, San Diego, Phoenix or to Tucson, in Midland it takes 5 to 6 hours just to go anywhere, if I want the coast its 12 hours, so to me yuma looks to be a good fit, I will be there june 19 to the 22 to visit the town and get a feel for it, trip paid by the hospital completly, can't beat that, so if all goes well, Hope to see some of yall soon. Eric.

no no dont get it wrong here - yuma has lots of humidity, dont believe me? wait til july and come on down. you will be swimin in your clothes

Old 12-04-2008, 02:19 PM

14 posts, read 30,822 times
drwnorth and catpiperx, you're kidding me right???

Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 PM

11 posts, read 39,106 times
Default Yuma Rocks

Well, maybe not rock but it has it's fun. I lived in Yuma I didn't find an unfriendly soul Hispanic, White or otherwise. I wish I still lived there and maybe we'll retire there in a few years. I visit there every few years but I haven't lived there since 1979, my youngest was born there. I especially dream of living there when it is raining and 40 degrees outside here in Seattle! I wish we hadn't moved back to Seattle but when a job transfers one has to go to make a living! The first time I heard the word "snow bird" was when I was living in Yuma but I didn't have much of a problem. I miss the place and the easy access to San Diego, San Luis, Colorado river and the community events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona