Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:03 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
And what happened to the last two "temporary" tax increases? Yep, still with us.
Understood.

My point was we were lucky to even have this tax vote, it was stalled by the right-wingers in the legislature.

If they had their way nothing would ever get done.

But thankfully the majority of voters spoke and saved the state from deeper cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,357,470 times
I proudly voted against it and didn't care that the guy who took my ballot saw it. Money is not the problem with our terrible education. No country spends more and gets less for it than we do. Spending yet more will not fix anything and I predict this tax will never go away. But it won't affect me too much, since I don't buy much other than groceries, gas and booze from stores in AZ. When I smoked, I tried to only buy cigarettes on Indian reservations and often online from China. I buy everything I can online and would rather pay shipping than feed the beast with more sales tax. Deficits are not an income problem. They are a spending and priority problem.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
What is wrong with making spending cuts? Why is that not an option? I voted no. The state needs to learn how to manage its finances in both easy and hard economic times without resorting to making things tougher for its citizens. 9.3% sales tax is ridiculous.

All the conservatives who talk about how the Rust Belt is so tax-heavy because of all "them liberals" have made that argument moot since we're now doing the same thing here in a Sun Belt red state.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:34 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,107,688 times
Here in Kentucky they fund higher education less, then more every year, hiking up tuition EVERY YEAR enough to more than make up for the difference when they cut funds, and to handle "operating costs" when they give more funding (6-12% depending on the year)

The government has enough money for education, a lot of it is wasted, spent irresponsibly, and pocketed though. The key to better funding for schools is not a tax increase, it is ACCOUNTABILITY.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:06 PM

923 posts, read 1,430,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
What is wrong with making spending cuts? Why is that not an option? I voted no. The state needs to learn how to manage its finances in both easy and hard economic times without resorting to making things tougher for its citizens. 9.3% sales tax is ridiculous.
I also voted no. There's so much more the state can do to reduce costs. Why are we still educating illegals for free? Why are we providing welfare benefits to illegals? If the state had cleaned out the system of these abuses this tax would not have been needed.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
By giving them the free money with no strings attached, all we have done is guaranteed another tax hike in a few years when this one has run out.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:19 PM

923 posts, read 1,430,542 times
Just great, maybe we can vote another increase of 1% or 2% next year.

Arizona still faces budget trouble with tax-hike OK

Old 05-19-2010, 05:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
After filling in the line for no, I swear they guy standing by the machine gave me a look. Made me fill a bit guilty
That's why it passed - every rip-off presented to the sheeple to be supposedly "for the children" will! Neither the money will go to the children, nor the tax will expire in 3 years. It'll just teach the dear government they can waste money as they please and then dig into the pockets of the slaves. Stupid vicious circle! What else is new, though...

Old 05-19-2010, 07:04 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
I can not believe how downright ignorant the majority of people in Arizona are. They believed a bunch of corrupt politicians that this tax hike would save the education system. Have fun paying a 9.3% sales tax. By the way, the statement only goes for the people who voted for or supported this tax in any way, not the smart ones who opposed it.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,903 times
Yep seems the smarter voters were in Yavapai and Mohave county who voted NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona