Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 07:15 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,902,176 times

Advertisements

Montgomery County - Here is a small cemetery I was shown several years ago but never took any photos, so in November I decided to go do that and found it was not listed on any maps I had at that time, but is well maintained. That got my curiosity up so I started digging. I got the latest available topo map and find it is listed on it as the Ellis Cemetery. As I continued to dig I find lots of wonderful associated history and will file an archeology report on it with the recommendation that it be placed on the National Register. Now I gotta get back over there, map it, and get my paperwork done.

It is west of Black Springs, at the intersection of Arkansas Highway 8 and North Polk Creek [county] Road/Forest Service Road 73. Here are introductory photos but there will be more later.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0179.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0214.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0213.jpg  

Last edited by Old Fossil; 01-20-2016 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 04:01 PM

Clark County - We were out and about again yesterday. A perfect day for exploring. Found two new Indian Sites, though that wasn't what we were looking for. We were looking at two old pioneer house sites to see if we could find anything to date them. We did, but also found Indian artifacts. I have posted here in the past that if you carefully search an old pioneer house site you will, usually, find Indian artifacts. The point is that if the pioneer thought that was a good place for a house, hundreds or thousands of years ago the Indians had already picked it as a good camp site.

The attached photo is one of the last two iron bridges (that I know of) in Clark County. It is across Terre Noire Creek on Bateman Road.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0371.jpg  

Old 02-02-2016, 09:43 PM

Another view of the bridge. When we were there taking photos, my friend told me that a long time ago when he was in high school, he and his high school buddy got summer jobs driving gravel trucks for Clark County and on one trip the rear wheels of his buddy's truck broke through the deck of this bridge. Getting the truck unloaded and out and off the bridge was a very interesting story.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0375.jpg  

Old 02-10-2016, 02:37 PM

Clark County on Arkansas Highway 26 between Arkadelphia and Antoine - Many years ago when I first drove 26, this was an occupied farm house. I don't know anything about it's history but as the years went by it was vacated, then used by deer hunters, and began to deteriorate. Originally the porch also went down the right side and on around the back. The part on the right side and back rotted and fell down and the hunters started parking their campers in the yard. The other day when I took these photos there are still old mattresses on the floor of some of the rooms and some chairs. All appear to have been there, unused, for a very long time. The missing floor could have been taken out for firewood, or possibly taken elsewhere to reuse because it was very old pine.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0355.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0359.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0364.jpg  

Old 02-17-2016, 07:03 PM

I Posted the 1st of January that my archeologist friend and I had been out scouting and mapping segments of the Old Military Road west of Arkadelphia which Arkansas Highway 26 follows (more or less) and that I had forgotten my camera. Here are a couple of photos he took and forwarded to me. The photo that shows the hood of his truck is the old highway 26 which was blacktopped, and across the present highway is the other photo which is the military road. The Federal Government financed improvements of this road in the early 1800s but those "improvements" consisted only of removing underbrush and tree stumps and filling in wash-outs. From Arkadelphia west there were several branches of the road but the main road passed through "Old Washington".

All along Highway 26 you can see segments of the military road if you know where to look and what to look for. A year or so ago I posted the remains of a military road bridge a few miles from where these photos were taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-old-highway-26.png   Exploring Arkansas-old-military-road.png  

Last edited by Old Fossil; 02-17-2016 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 02-23-2016, 03:20 PM

West of Little Rock between east and west bound Chenal Parkway. Several weeks ago Michael Storey featured this trail in his Happy Trails column in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. We finally got around to checking out it's west end that was completed this past summer and found a great trail that is both wheelchair and stroller friendly. About half of this segment is asphalt and the other half is concrete and is about eight feet wide. We will check out the rest of the trail later. This segment is between Pride Valley and Loyola Drive, is about .4 mile long, and follows Rock Creek. It has nice benches set along the creek.

If you could wear noise canceling ear muffs you would think you were out in the wilderness on an improved trail, not walking between the lanes of very busy Chenal Parkway. When the foliage greens up you will not be able to see the vehicles on the street, but you certainly can hear them.

More photos to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0385.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0390.jpg  

Old 02-26-2016, 07:14 PM

Rock Creek Trail - Here is one of the benches that are set at intervals along the creek bank.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0396.jpg  

Old 03-01-2016, 09:18 PM

Well, today I found out that I don't have to go to the boonies to find old artifacts. We were having the carpet replaced in my home office and in the process of clearing the "stuff" out of the way so the carpet people could move the furniture, file cabinets, etc. I kept finding things in nooks and crannies that I had forgotten about. I thought I had removed it all but when they started moving the file cabinets one of the guys asked what I wanted to do with a framed picture they had found between the cabinets. It was not a picture, but a large framed certificate appointing one of my great grandfathers as a Justice of the Peace in Caney Fork Township in Pike County, and was dated 30 October 1890. I don't remember where, when, or how, but there it is. I would like to post a photo of it here, but it's so large that reducing it to fit would make it unreadable.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:29 PM

Since yesterday was "leap day", the food service people here in this old folks city decided to prepare a treat for us. We could get extra servings of our favorite dish, but the main course was frog legs. The first I've had since I was a kid (a very long time ago) and they were wonderful, and perfectly prepared. I haven't had a chance to talk to the dietitian, but I need to ask her what our "Yankee" residents thought about them .

Old 03-03-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Since yesterday was "leap day", the food service people here in this old folks city decided to prepare a treat for us. We could get extra servings of our favorite dish, but the main course was frog legs. The first I've had since I was a kid (a very long time ago) and they were wonderful, and perfectly prepared. I haven't had a chance to talk to the dietitian, but I need to ask her what our "Yankee" residents thought about them .

I talked to the dietitian and she said that the reaction of the "Yankees" and "Southerners" was about the same, that some of both groups wouldn't even try the legs. Those Southerners must have grown up in the cities because if they had grown up in the country not too many years ago, they would have had, and loved, frog legs. Oh well, their loss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas